Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bak Mei

Bak Mei

I've been taking Bak Mei for about a year now wanted to know if it was ok to fuse jui jitsu along with it or not? Any other suggestions that don't go against my style.

yes it is ok.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Bak Mei

have you talked to your Shifu about this?

There are many kum la concepts that your teacher should understand within the confines of Bak Mei Pai.

Who is your teacher? Bak Mei Pai is very rare here in the US.
    Mouth Boxers have not the testicular nor the spinal fortitude to be known.
    Hence they hide rather than be known as adults.

At a year in...he's probably not that familiar with the myriad of locks, holds and releases that are kum na.

Otherwise, jiu jitsu is a separate art with a whole different focus.

What you want to do is learn with the correct attidtude towards learning. Do you think you're good enough after 1 year of lessons to start making a fusion with another art?

You know for most of us it takes years to get good at one thing. Worth considering.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

No I don't what I was trying to find out was it ok to take another style or not. You answered the question if another style is a completely different approach from an bak mei then I will not. I'm still grasping things I would tell you my teacher but prefer to remain anonymous, his father was in the military is all I'll state.

I wanted to take a martial arts I could go to competitions with that's one of the reasons I'm fairly competitive.

Then it really depends on what kind of competing you're looking to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    like that old japanese zen monk that grabs white woman student titties to awaken them to zen, i grab titties of kung fu people to awaken them to truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal Canzonieri View Post
    You can discuss discrepancies and so on in people's posts without ripping them apart. So easy to do sitting behind a computer screen anonymously, but in person I'm sure you'd be very different, unless you're a total misanthrope without any friends.

I would not mix Pak Mei with anything until you are very skilled with it as it has a very distinct way it goes about doing things. Coming TO Pak Mei from another style though works just fine, so long as you can empty your cup and learn things the Pak Mei way.

Go back in time, start with Jiu Jitsu and then learn Pak Mei later.
    -Golden Arms-

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Arms View Post
    I would not mix Pak Mei with anything until you are very skilled with it as it has a very distinct way it goes about doing things. Coming TO Pak Mei from another style though works just fine, so long as you can empty your cup and learn things the Pak Mei way.

Go back in time, start with Jiu Jitsu and then learn Pak Mei later.
    This is a Troll thread, started by mms troll 'west' who just deleted a bunch of threads in the main forum. He was trying to make the conclusion that Pak Mei can't grapple, so, brothers, just be advised you're casting pearls before swine.

But, hell, might become an interesting thread nevertheless.

I teach (and drill) some of my guys in Bjj 101. All about the consolidation strategy, 3 side controls, guard and mount, Escape from standing guillotine and how to grab one and falling into guard. Sprawling, keeping arms in and other fundamentals. And as Golden Arms will appreciate, you can turn anything into "Pak Mei" <grin>.
    There is a bunch of good stuff in Dey Sut Kuen for when you are on the ground and getting back up.
    Practicing some basics of other arts, to understand what you might come up against should be part of any MA training.
    Last edited by Yum Cha; 06-10-2013 at 01:23 PM.
    Guangzhou Pak Mei Kung Fu School, Sydney Australia,
    Sifu Leung, Yuk Seng
    Established 1989, Glebe Australia

It was decided earlier cya

No its not I could tell you my master and everything. I haven't even ventured into another forum I'm from NC btw.

Quote Originally Posted by bakmei View Post
    I wanted to take a martial arts I could go to competitions with that's one of the reasons I'm fairly competitive.
    if you are talking about BJJ then i cant see the harm, its ground based, not a striking art and totally different and deals with a totally different enviroment and set of attacks than bak mei, now whether you have the time to learn both is another matter

If you are talking about japanese ju jitsu then thats something different

Quote Originally Posted by bakmei View Post
    Then yes, take BJJ.

3 essentials for a competitive fighter:
    Confidence, Conditioning, Technique

You should combine Tae Kwon Do, Bak Mei and Jiu Jitsu

Then you would have "Tae Mei Jiu"
    the ultimate system!
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

On a side note: This blog is fascinating http://chinesemartialstudies.com/201...-chuen-part-i/