Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "No BS" kung fu

"No BS" kung fu

I am puzzled by the "no BS" attitude I see thrown around on the internet a lot. If you trained hard as a fighter under a teacher with a fighting background, then there was no "BS" to begin with.

Saying "no BS" martial arts is a lot like saying "I have a gun that actually shoots bullets". The guns that don't shoot bullets are not real guns, and never were. Anyone actually shopping for a gun would never have considered a gun that could not shoot bullets in the first place.

I just don't get it. Anyone care to explain?
    -Golden Arms-

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=581992838499289

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Arms View Post
    I am puzzled by the "no BS" attitude I see thrown around on the internet a lot. If you trained hard as a fighter under a teacher with a fighting background, then there was no "BS" to begin with.

Saying "no BS" martial arts is a lot like saying "I have a gun that actually shoots bullets". The guns that don't shoot bullets are not real guns, and never were. Anyone actually shopping for a gun would never have considered a gun that could not shoot bullets in the first place.

Is kung fu that is taught in an environment that doesn't allow for its practitioners to actually fight well with it against people that know how to fight, BS?
    Is kung fu that is more interested in its "lineage" and traditions OVER the ability of its practitioners to actually USE it, BS?
    Is Kung fu that is so isolate that it doesn't address the modern era of H2H combat, BS?
    Is Kung fu that goes against its practitioners testing the system against people from OTHER systems, BS?
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Saying "no BS" makes a person sound tough and straight to the point, but never indicates that they are.

"I'd learn Judo if it weren't for the pajamas and bowing BS."

"**** this push up and jump rope BS, this is a self-defense school. Put on your camo pants and get ready for some fake self defense scenarios."

"I could've become a rocket engineer if it weren't for all that math BS."

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=581992838499289
    Indeed.
    Period.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Is kung fu that is taught in an environment that doesn't allow for its practitioners to actually fight well with it against people that know how to fight, BS?
    Is kung fu that is more interested in its "lineage" and traditions OVER the ability of its practitioners to actually USE it, BS?
    Is Kung fu that is so isolate that it doesn't address the modern era of H2H combat, BS?
    Is Kung fu that goes against its practitioners testing the system against people from OTHER systems, BS?
    None of those are or ever have been of any interest to me or any serious fighter or martial artist that I know. I don't understand how your post relates.
    -Golden Arms-

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Arms View Post
    None of those are or ever have been of any interest to me or any serious fighter or martial artist that I know. I don't understand how your post relates.
    It was a simple question.
    How does my post relate?
    Will...
    You Asked:

This seems to imply that there is no BS in MA, yes?

My question to you was this:

So, if you answer YES to any of those examples then YES, there is BS in kung fu.

I am surprised that you, having trained as a fighter and under a fighter, don't understand why some state quite rightly there there is BS in Kung Fu.

I shouldn't be surprised by anything anymore on here, but really? Someone saying there is no BS in the wu lin??? oh dear lord
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Quote Originally Posted by pazman View Post
    Saying "no BS" makes a person sound tough and straight to the point, but never indicates that they are.

"I'd learn Judo if it weren't for the pajamas and bowing BS."

"**** this push up and jump rope BS, this is a self-defense school. Put on your camo pants and get ready for some fake self defense scenarios."

"I could've become a rocket engineer if it weren't for all that math BS."
    I think this really nails it. It's a marketing term.

That's not to say there is no BS in the kung fu community; there's tons of that. I think that the "No BS" term is merely an adjective that is trying to attract students that feel they want to learn "the real deal no bullsh!t street ready real-world comabt".

Now of course, whether what they teach really is "the real deal no bullsh!t street ready real-world comabt" is another story entirely
    Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    like that old japanese zen monk that grabs white woman student titties to awaken them to zen, i grab titties of kung fu people to awaken them to truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal Canzonieri View Post
    You can discuss discrepancies and so on in people's posts without ripping them apart. So easy to do sitting behind a computer screen anonymously, but in person I'm sure you'd be very different, unless you're a total misanthrope without any friends.

It's all BS

Watch that vid I posted. That doesn't even include modern weapons. It's all BS on some level. Most TCMA is fairly akin to Civil War Reenacting. I think TCMA at some point tried to address that level of violence depicted in that video, but there's no way in heck that contemplating your navel whilst doing forms that moderately represent impressions of violence and doing some pre choreographed application drills is going to prepare you for three guys jumping you in a parking garage. Neither will BJJ.

I think TCMA at some point tried to address that level of violence depicted in that video,
    Here's the thing, for REAL... there was a time when TCMA was exactly about that sort of stuff... but that generation is gone and Chinese martial art went in some contorted direction

I know for a fact Chan Tai San lived that sort of life and dealt with that sort of violence. I have reasonable evidence to believe Chang Dung Sheng was a bad mofo who also dealt with a lot of violence in his life. I met a few others like this over the years... but they are all gone now

What's worse, Chinese martial art has gone completely in the fantasy direction... dear lord, look at the shaoln crowd!

As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    Here's the thing, for REAL... there was a time when TCMA was exactly about that sort of stuff... but that generation is gone and Chinese martial art went in some contorted direction

I know for a fact Chan Tai San lived that sort of life and dealt with that sort of violence. I have reasonable evidence to believe Chang Dung Sheng was a bad mofo who also dealt with a lot of violence in his life. I met a few others like this over the years... but they are all gone now

What's worse, Chinese martial art has gone completely in the fantasy direction... dear lord, look at the shaoln crowd!
    IDK... some of the old timers I've talked to say the training wasn't all that different, they just seemed to have more opportunity to use it so they were more serious in their endeavors and they were probably more willing to take things to the extreme.

*PS - It's my God given right as an American to contradict myself several times in a thread!!!
    Last edited by MightyB; 06-12-2013 at 08:34 AM.

IDK... some of the old timers I've talked to say the training wasn't all that different, they just seemed to have more opportunity to use it so they were more serious in their endeavors and they were probably more willing to take things to the extreme.
    depends upon which old timers... how old exactly, WHERE they were (big difference between mainland and HK for example), what social level they were, there are many factors

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    depends upon which old timers... how old exactly, WHERE they were (big difference between mainland and HK for example), what social level they were, there are many factors
    they're all HK expats with their "heydays" ranging I'd say from the early 1960's through the early 80's. Some with solid, some with sordid backgrounds. I won't name names though... but all held themselves with a confidence and grace that gave off a nonverbal cue of "don't f*** with me" and carried a range of scars and in some cases false teeth that spoke of a not so friendly past.
    Last edited by MightyB; 06-12-2013 at 09:12 AM. Reason: clarification

I am not saying there is no BS in kung fu in general, I can't speak for others experiences. I can say however that my Hung Gar Sifu and my Pak Mei Sifu both teach in a way that is very oriented around fighting and using the arts in a combative way, and that is how I practice and teach as well. I don't relate to the lack of fighting or knowing how to use your art in violent situations, as that is not only what they are for, they specialize in doing just that.

The BS I have run into is often racial, and cultural, and I agree that part is hard to divorce from the older generation of CMA teachers.

Why train in a school where things are like the examples Ronin posted above? If that was all that was around I would have probably just gone to a boxing gym.

You may be right, the "no BS" thing sounds like a marketing scheme, or a way to make a person sound tough and straight to the point, without indicating that they actually are.
    Last edited by Golden Arms; 06-12-2013 at 10:01 AM.
    -Golden Arms-