Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "No BS" kung fu

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Arms View Post
    I am not saying there is no BS in kung fu in general, I can't speak for others experiences. I can say however that my Hung Gar Sifu and my Pak Mei Sifu both teach in a way that is very oriented around fighting and using the arts in a combative way, and that is how I practice and teach as well. I don't relate to the lack of fighting or knowing how to use your art in violent situations, as that is not only what they are for, they specialize in doing just that.

The BS I have run into is often racial, and cultural, and I agree that part is hard to divorce from the older generation of CMA teachers.

Why train in a school where things are like the examples Ronin posted above? If that was all that was around I would have probably just gone to a boxing gym.

You may be right, the "no BS" thing sounds like a marketing scheme, or a way to make a person sound tough and straight to the point, without indicating that they actually are.

The only time that "BS" thing sounds good is when some HAS experienced it and knows there is "BS".
    If some comes out and says that boxing is BS that boxers can't punch, who'd believe them?
    Besides WC people of course

Thanks for clearing your view, sorry if my response was a bit muddled.

I agree with the cultural (lineage) and racial BS in Kung fu.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Mostly it's chest puffing BS in and of itself.

I don't care how prepared you are and how much you train etc etc.
    If you are not situation aware. Problem.
    If you are in the wrong place at the wrong time. Problem.
    If you travel into areas of high risk. Problem.
    If you are a young male aged 16-26 that likes clubbing and has a chip on their shoulder. Problem.
    add a myriad of other variables to these....

You have to think about whether or not you can raise your intention to do harm high enough to survive an encounter in a bad situation. You have to realize that the only negotiating that is going to help you is in how much harm you can bring in immediately. No discussion, no begging, you've been chosen as a target, act like it.

Any day, no matter what, you could be chosen and you could die for that.

be aware. And don't buy stupid self defense courses that hype your own fear.
    Also, no amount of reading or video watching will prepare you for violent assault.

It happens and it will always be percentages that determine if you are going to survive. Your gym training gives you only a slight edge. Your viciousness, if you have any is what will win the day for you...in my experience anyway.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    IDK... some of the old timers I've talked to say the training wasn't all that different, they just seemed to have more opportunity to use it so they were more serious in their endeavors and they were probably more willing to take things to the extreme.
    Since at least the 17th Century, if not before, there have been two factions. One that was preoccupied with fantasy/performance and one that was preoccupied with combat. We see combat people lamenting the condition of Gong Fu at the hands of the dancers throughout history.

Today both factions exist, as they did in the 1930's, as they did in 1850, as they did in the 1700's and before.

The problem is that the outside consensus is lumping all TCMA into the performance group. This must change.
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    We should not use "TCMA is more than combat" as excuse for not "evolving".

You can have Kung Fu in cooking, it really has nothing to do with fighting!

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=581992838499289
    This won't be solved with more violence, ever.