Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: yo! is da forum dun broke?

That's why I like engineering. Electrical and mechanical devices don't complain much. And at least it makes sense when they don't work.

Now where's the fun in that?

Sounds as much fun as listening to clocks tick.

I feel ya, Syn7, but I do enjoy that human element, particularly the foibles expressed by poor writers and worse debaters. I've heard that gladiatorial bouts had warm up acts like Christians being fed to lions and blind men fighting with knives. While I wouldn't call that entertaining, I do feel there is an analogy to be made here with our forum debates, and that I do find entertaining in a perverse way. Some people like gory horror flicks. Some like political debates. I'm amused by the complaints, especially given that they are in context of the so-called martial world.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post

I feel ya, Syn7, but I do enjoy that human element, particularly the foibles expressed by poor writers and worse debaters. I've heard that gladiatorial bouts had warm up acts like Christians being fed to lions and blind men fighting with knives. While I wouldn't call that entertaining, I do feel there is an analogy to be made here with our forum debates, and that I do find entertaining in a perverse way. Some people like gory horror flicks. Some like political debates. I'm amused by the complaints, especially given that they are in context of the so-called martial world.
    I keep saying it: KFM is the wuxia of message boards!

I've never seen the kind of stuff that goes on here on other boards (I assume also that this board gets more traffic than those other boards... what's their name again? )

People fly off the handle real easily here. It's both sad and sometimes part of the fun, lol.

Oh yeah, then there's the MMA trolls (generally, I think they're juveniles that just watch a lot of UFC).. Do other boards get them, too?
    Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    like that old japanese zen monk that grabs white woman student titties to awaken them to zen, i grab titties of kung fu people to awaken them to truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal Canzonieri View Post
    You can discuss discrepancies and so on in people's posts without ripping them apart. So easy to do sitting behind a computer screen anonymously, but in person I'm sure you'd be very different, unless you're a total misanthrope without any friends.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    No greater sound than that of a well tuned machine!!!

They rarely complain. Their bias is always known and usually consistent. When they don't work it's most often quite clear as to why, and more importantly, you know you to fix them....

Anyways, you can see why I'm not in public relations. Tact was never my strong suit It's not that I can't, it's that I couldn't be bothered!

And the best part is...

...when the machine stops working, you can just toss it out.

This is becoming like the Star Trek metaphor - Kirk vs. Spock.

Kymus, I haven't been that active on other boards lately, so I couldn't say if they suffer from the same amount of troll infestation as we do. Perhaps we encourage it a little as being wuxia, we all like a good fight.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I rarely see trolls anymore (remember ralek? Or that crazy spanish guy that would post stuff through an online translator? ), thank god. But attitude? Oh boy, there's attitude here like there's water in the ocean.

That's why I say this place is like the wuxia of forums. But still, in some ways it can be funny. Esp reading through the archives of the SD thread.......

I try to be mellow. I don't want to have a problem with anyone here. This is like the local bar* and what good does it do me have a problem with a handful of people there? None.

(*for the record, I am a life-long non-drinker, so that'll be either a soda or a cranberry juice for me )

addendum: I reread your post. I can't really say anything about trolls on other boards. I tried posting on Dragon's List and got bored because it's not nearly as active as this one )
    like that old japanese zen monk that grabs white woman student titties to awaken them to zen, i grab titties of kung fu people to awaken them to truth.
    You can discuss discrepancies and so on in people's posts without ripping them apart. So easy to do sitting behind a computer screen anonymously, but in person I'm sure you'd be very different, unless you're a total misanthrope without any friends.

Who's got attitude? **** you all!!!

I like the kirk/spock comparison.

Of course the truth is that we need both.

One group keeps the power on so another group can mess it up again. Just like how one group can keep us healthy so that we can go on living unhealthy lifestyles!

Cycle of life

FREEDOM!

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    One group keeps the power on so another group can mess it up again. Just like how one group can keep us healthy so that we can go on living unhealthy lifestyles!
    That is a great KFM analogy

Quote Originally Posted by Kymus View Post
    That is a great KFM analogy
    Either way, I am grateful for the effort. It's a good place to visit when resting your brain from the maths!

Good to hear that you all are enjoying yourselves here.

I'm glad that you find our little forum here diverting and restful.

Carry on.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips