Thread: TCMA 36 throws, 72 locks

TCMA 36 throws, 72 locks

In the classic 1962 book by Lee Ying Arng, "The Secret Arts of Chinese Leg Manoeuvres" , Lee goes through some basic background of the Chinese Martial Arts where he specifically mentions the categorization of 36 throws, 72 joint locks, 18 weapons, etc.

I have seen these specific numbers repeated elsewhere, a list of the 18 weapons is easily found (such as here)

And the 72 joint locks I believe is fully represented in the 1930's classic book "Shaolin Chin Na Fa".

However, I have never seen anything regarding the 36 throws. Does it exist? Or was it a number made up by Lee Ying Arng and just repeated by other authors over time?

Thanks

I am aware of the historical and hagiographical context but many times the numbering system is a flashback to times when symbolism was the teaching methodology and said number allegedly had a secret code.

In reality, there are more than 18 weapons, translated as that there are perhaps 6 or 7 and the rest are variations of the theme of weapon specified for use. I would categorize staff as a main weapon while saying the variation(s) of spear, lance, halberd (with a big, sharp elongated structure per the use, would be the improvement.

Yes. We may narrow throws to around 30.

And yes, we may easily derive more throws to over 3000.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TopCrusader View Post
    I have never seen anything regarding the 36 throws. Does it exist?
    A SC book 中国跤术 published in China had narrowed down all the TCMA throws into 61 different categories (All Chinese like even numbers but sometime the reality may be different). If we just pick 1 throw from each catagory, we will get 61 throws. Among those 61 different categories, The

- 踢(Ti) - kick has 36 different throws.
    - 蹩(Bie) - break has 32 different throws.

A total of 230 different throws are recorded in that book.

http://dianzi.gerenjianli.com/wenjia...1o8cn18s6.html
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 06-18-2013 at 02:36 PM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument