Thread: roy nelson thread

roy nelson thread

is it just me or is it everyone that when you open the roy nelson thread, there is not even an original post in it, its just empty....
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    is it just me or is it everyone that when you open the roy nelson thread, there is not even an original post in it, its just empty....
    No I was also disappointed....as I was with his latest performance....
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.
    We should not use "TCMA is more than combat" as excuse for not "evolving".

You can have Kung Fu in cooking, it really has nothing to do with fighting!

not sure what happened

i made a thread - hope pix show up

Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    No I was also disappointed....as I was with his latest performance....
    he was simply out classed in the striking department, and for some unknown reason he has forgotten he has a BJJ blackbelt and is a good grappler

Its the curse of having a hell of a powerhand .....he has come to rely on it as a get out of jail free card and last fight he simply couldnt use it and didnt know what else to do

I was disappointed also. I just found out though, Big Country took the fight on short notice. I was thinking didn't he just KO'd Cheick Kongo very recently? Yep, ~6 weeks ago.

That may have been a huge factor on Nelson's performance.

a casualty of our last crash perhaps

Not sure what's going on there exactly, but we can start fresh here. Sorry for the inconvenience.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    he was simply out classed in the striking department, and for some unknown reason he has forgotten he has a BJJ blackbelt and is a good grappler

Its the curse of having a hell of a powerhand .....he has come to rely on it as a get out of jail free card and last fight he simply couldnt use it and didnt know what else to do
    Completely agree. After the first round he was obviously gassed and just going for a hail Mary. I couldn't understand why he wouldn't have went to the grappling game when Miocic obviously had the range figured out and was just eating him up.

I wonder if he was just being stubborn, wanting the KO, or if he was plain too gassed to try to take it to the ground?
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post

He's more than just a good grappler. He's practically world class. It baffles me that he doesn't use it anymore. Creature of habit, I guess. He did really well at ADCC. But that was 10 years ago. I dunno, maybe he isn't what he was in that department and we just haven't caught on yet. But I agree, it's weird that he doesn't go there.

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    He's more than just a good grappler. He's practically world class. It baffles me that he doesn't use it anymore. Creature of habit, I guess. He did really well at ADCC. But that was 10 years ago. I dunno, maybe he isn't what he was in that department and we just haven't caught on yet. But I agree, it's weird that he doesn't go there.
    myriad reasons to stand and wang --- probably wants the ko of the night bonus - may be better for highlight reel, may force himself to strike more to balance his game, whatever the reason he does what he does... he's like BJ Penn... standing and boxing when they should be grappling

so the question that comes to mind - if he's world class grappler, why doesn't he try to go for submission of the night bonus?

He has always been bad at striking but it was weird that he couldn't even keep his hands up. The other weird thing was that he wouldn't even lose his balance after all those punches. Some of them were quite powerful.

Quote Originally Posted by xinyidizi View Post
    He has always been bad at striking but it was weird that he couldn't even keep his hands up. The other weird thing was that he wouldn't even lose his balance after all those punches. Some of them were quite powerful.
    he has a hard chin, part of his appeal to dana white and the fans.

but the short training camp may be a huge factor - he's the man for stepping up and taking the fight on short notice, but we see why fighters generally don't do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Stickgrappler View Post
    he has a hard chin, part of his appeal to dana white and the fans.

but the short training camp may be a huge factor - he's the man for stepping up and taking the fight on short notice, but we see why fighters generally don't do that.
    actually coming off a long training camp it should have been easier for him to maintain the level of fitness, he shouldnt have lost it in only just 6 weeks, i simply think he took the fight and his opponent too lightly

maybe he has an injury that he was trying to work around.

I think he shouldn't be allowed any cheeseburgers until he redeems himself.