Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WC vs Mike Tyson Street Fight

WC vs Mike Tyson Street Fight

can anyone here or do any of you know anyone who could have defeated Mike Tyson in a street fight when he was in his prime?

Quote Originally Posted by KungFubar View Post
    can anyone here or do any of you know anyone who could have defeated Mike Tyson in a street fight when he was in his prime?
    Don't know. What's a "street fight"? Seriously. Not a fair fight, that's for sure. So do you pit Mike Tyson in his prime up against an ordinary mortal in fisticuffs or against three skinny gang bangers with pipes and knives? Or somebody with a baseball bat or maybe a gun ...standing behind him? Or a psycho in a pickup truck trying to run him down? It all sounds pretty hypothetical to me.

BTW "way back when" I read somewhere that Tyson himself said that he was way more scared of a "streetfight" than a championship bout. Anybody else come across that quote?
    "No contaban con mi astucia!" --el Chapulin Colorado

http://www.vingtsunaz.com/
    www.nationalvt.com/

I actually know quite a few people who I think could have but they are all training in bjj or mma. The early ufcs and even the Couture Toney fight show that boxers who have not cross trained are generally easily taken down and then they are a fish out of water.

Quote Originally Posted by Grumblegeezer View Post
    Don't know. What's a "street fight"? Seriously. Not a fair fight, that's for sure. So do you pit Mike Tyson in his prime up against an ordinary mortal in fisticuffs or against three skinny gang bangers with pipes and knives? Or somebody with a baseball bat or maybe a gun ...standing behind him? Or a psycho in a pickup truck trying to run him down? It all sounds pretty hypothetical to me.

BTW "way back when" I read somewhere that Tyson himself said that he was way more scared of a "streetfight" than a championship bout. Anybody else come across that quote?
    The context of my question is quite clear, i shouldnt have to explain in a kung fu forum that a street fight doesnt mean running someone over with a station wagon.

The context of my question is quite clear, i shouldnt have to explain in a kung fu forum that a street fight doesnt mean running someone over with a station wagon.
    So, what is it? Mano a mano with no weapons and no friends?

You're unusually fortunate or naive if those are the only streetfights you've ever come across or heard about.

There's an old Muhammad Ali story about how he was challenged to a fight by a local bully as a teen. He thought he'd probably lose outside the ring, but instead convinced the guy to come to a gym and don gloves, and then proceeded to give him a boxing lesson.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

Tyson was a street fighter when he was a teenager and admitted that he was able to handle 'guys in their 20's' when he was 15 or so..
    What chi sau is, or isn't, or is, or wait, what is it..: http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/foru...2&postcount=90

Whats the point of this question?

Quote Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
    Whats the point of this question?
    I wondered the same thing. Maybe just simple troll bait?
    What chi sau is, or isn't, or is, or wait, what is it..: http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/foru...2&postcount=90

Quote Originally Posted by JPinAZ View Post
    I wondered the same thing. Maybe just simple troll bait?
    Poor old Mike, why is he the measure of all things violent???

Poor old Mike, why is he the measure of all things violent???
    haha, maybe a more entertaining list of questions would be:
    1. Who here has been or knows someone that's been incarcerated for rape more times that Mike? (sorry Mike )
    2. Who has bitten off more ears in a fight?
    3. (to be fair) who here has or knows someone that has KO'd more pro-level fighters in such short time than Iron Mike back in his prime? (expected answer: zero)

Quote Originally Posted by JPinAZ View Post
    haha, maybe a more entertaining list of questions would be:
    1. Who here has been or knows someone that's been incarcerated for rape more times that Mike? (sorry Mike )
    2. Who has bitten off more ears in a fight?
    3. (to be fair) who here has or knows someone that has KO'd more pro-level fighters in such short time than Iron Mike back in his prime? (expected answer: zero)
    1. Well not personally but i think he is low on the number of convictions by some standards
    2. He's world champ at that!
    3. Maybe Joe Louis but he'd be right up there

I got another question.

4. Would Mike Tyson pose a question as pointless as this on an internet forum?

1. Well not personally but i think he is low on the number of convictions by some standards
    2. He's world champ at that!
    3. Maybe Joe Louis but he'd be right up there

I got another question.

4. Would Mike Tyson pose a question as pointless as this on an internet forum?
    Man some of you are serious on here. hahaha

You can tell a lot about people by how they answer hypothetical questions that they don't want to admit the honest answer to. hahaahahaah

Ways they do it.
    1. play dumb, pretend they don't understand the question
    2. redirect the question to debate vocabulary instead
    3. answer a different question that wasnt asked
    4. attack the person in the question that makes them feel insecure (mike tyson) hahaha
    5. call the poster a troll ahahahahaa
    6. attack the validity of the question itself ie 'thats a dumb question' (because it makes me feel weak) ahahahaha
    7. invalidate the poster
    Last edited by KungFubar; 06-18-2013 at 06:48 PM.

You can tell a lot about people by how they answer hypothetical questions that they don't want to admit the honest answer to. hahaahahaah

Ways they do it.
    4. attack the person in the question that makes them feel insecure (mike tyson) hahaha
    6. attack the validity of the question itself ie 'thats a dumb question' (because it makes me feel weak) ahahahaha
    7. invalidate the poster
    1. Dumb question.......... what reply were you hoping on? A thesis on Mike Tysons street fighting skilz?

2. A few of us made light of an cringe worthy thread.

3. whats your next question? Wolverine v Superman?

4. Who attacked Mike? Everything mentioned was fact, im sure he gets by fine without your moral support

5. I wouldnt say troll.......... a bit simple minded maybe

6. Ummmmm no, its just a dumb question

7. Your thread did that for you all by itself

8. ahahahahahahahah yourself!

Ways they do it.
    7. invalidate the poster
    1. I didn't see anyone do that.
    2. A definition of "street fight" is certainly relevant to the question.
    3. The forum is for discussion, which may or may not follow the track set or desired by the original poster. don't like it? cry me a river.
    4. I don't think anyone attacked Mike Tyson, and certainly not in a street fight.
    5. There is trolling on the forum, I've occasionally indulged myself. ahahaahaha
    6. The question doesn't make me feel weak. There are plenty of other people around that can beat me, and, I daresay, the vast majority of WC practitioners, including yourself.
    7. Similar to 5, I think.

The "honest answer"? If Mike Tyson in his prime were fighting anyone I know or have seen in Wing Chun using fists only, I think he would have had few problems.
    If Mike Tyson were dropped in some areas of Afghanistan today wearing a T shirt with an American flag on it and no weapons, I reckon he'd be reduced to a grease spot on the ground PDQ.

The question was not specific enough to provide a meaningful answer, besides being hypothetical.

I hope now you can move on with your life. ahahaaahaha
    Last edited by anerlich; 06-18-2013 at 09:15 PM.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

It was just a simple question and appropriate for this forum and this WC section. I am mystified why it was met with such defensiveness and indignation and how it could offend anyone.

Obviously street fight in the context the question was asked means hand to hand combat, your Wing Chun or someone you know vs Mike Tyson in his prime without rules. Its understood that rocket launchers, grenades, guns, knives, and driving over him with a car is not within the context. hahahahah crazy

I think only tc101 answered straight up what he thought even though he ventured outside WC but I admit I did not specify WC only, however i posted in the WC forum so I thought it was understood.

So if I hurt anyones feelings here it was not my intent. The reason I posted the question is because last night after posting in that thread about WC being for old men I looked up some old boxers and then one thing led to another and I found myself watching Tyson fights when he was 19 and just marveling at the athleticism, speed power etc and I wondered how the best WC would match up not in a boxing ring with rules but in a one on one self defense situation.

I think its a fair question and Im sure Im not the only one who has wondered it. I was sincerely perplexed with the responses it got but I meant no disrespect or offense.
    Last edited by KungFubar; 06-18-2013 at 10:05 PM.