Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Is the food you buy safe to eat?

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post

Anyway, in terms of genetically modifying crops, poultry, meat, etc., it's all about the money. If you follow the trail of greed, you can see why people will mess around with nature to benefit themselves, without regard for any probable/certain consequences to the rest of the world in the long-term.
    Yes...and no. It's all about the money, but the twist is that it is what the public is asking for. The public wants convenient, inexpensive food. The corporations and mega-farms have gotten creative in how to supply this for the public. All the modifications, pesticides, etc. have been aimed at producing food on a monumental scale at lowest cost.

So, for the majority of us who can't raise our own animals and produce it will really come down to $$$ out of our pocket. If it's important to avoid the mass-produced stuff, then it will cost you more.

pretty much. if you cant grow or raise your own food, you'll look at paying 50-100% increase for the quality foods, often times.

there are new innovative ways popping up to give people options to have quick easy access to quality grown foods, who otherwise don't have the time or don't put in the effort to seek healthy eating.

here is an example:

https://www.localplate.com/
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

I strongly recommend this book if you have any growing space; even just pots.

From there, if you want to grow more food, read this.

Kindle versions are available for high-tech homesteaders like me
    Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    like that old japanese zen monk that grabs white woman student titties to awaken them to zen, i grab titties of kung fu people to awaken them to truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal Canzonieri View Post
    You can discuss discrepancies and so on in people's posts without ripping them apart. So easy to do sitting behind a computer screen anonymously, but in person I'm sure you'd be very different, unless you're a total misanthrope without any friends.

I just go out at night and steal other peoples hard grown vegies and fruits out of all the shared garden spaces and urban farms that surround me like the walls of babylon.

im like a food robin hood.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    I just go out at night and steal other peoples hard grown vegies and fruits out of all the shared garden spaces and urban farms that surround me like the walls of babylon.

im like a food robin hood.
    You could totally incorporate that in to a modern-day real world ninjitsu program (TM)
    like that old japanese zen monk that grabs white woman student titties to awaken them to zen, i grab titties of kung fu people to awaken them to truth.
    You can discuss discrepancies and so on in people's posts without ripping them apart. So easy to do sitting behind a computer screen anonymously, but in person I'm sure you'd be very different, unless you're a total misanthrope without any friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Kymus View Post
    You could totally incorporate that in to a modern-day real world ninjitsu program (TM)
    lets make it happen. we split the take 50/50. we can have an online course, with a handbook and secret handshake for the ninja club and everything. in person courses i think would have to run at least 500 an hour to make it worth the time.

lets make it happen. we split the take 50/50. we can have an online course, with a handbook and secret handshake for the ninja club and everything. in person courses i think would have to run at least 500 an hour to make it worth the time.
    Esp for secret certified ninjaz

Okay Kymus and my Choctaw brother, what happens when you run into a certified ninja farmer like myself? Besides, I live in Texas which means that I can shoot you for stealing from me, but only at night.

I strongly recommend this book if you have any growing space; even just pots.

From there, if you want to grow more food, read this.

Kindle versions are available for high-tech homesteaders like me
    These are great books Kymus! I own them both. The book in your second link discusses permaculture which I can't say enough good things about. The guru of permaculture is Masanobu Fukuoka. Below is a great video on his methods.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ft0ylk4sU5M

I also recommend:
    "Mini Farming: Self-Sufficiency on 1/4 Acre"
    "Aquaponic Gardening: A Step-By-Step Guide to Raising Vegetables and Fish Together"
    "The Backyard Homestead: Produce all the food you need on just a quarter acre!"
    "Organic Gardening"

There are so many more but I'll stop there.

ah texas has anti ninja laws in place. In your situation, i would have to appeal to your brotherly love and plea for some of your grand ultimate produce to be shared with the needy msg ridden city folk.

ah texas has anti ninja laws in place. In your situation, i would have to appeal to your brotherly love and plea for some of your grand ultimate produce to be shared with the needy msg ridden city folk.
    Well, in that case, I would happily give you some of my grand ultimate produce.

I'd be happy with one of those plate sized slices of tomatoe and some salt!

Cool discussion, guys.

And props to you, GoldenBrain. You've got some mad produce kung fu. It sounds to me like you're really living the life!
    Last edited by Jimbo; 06-21-2013 at 09:19 AM.

80% - 90% of all diseases are a result of diet and lifestyle. Yeah, starving is worse, but diabetes and heart disease isn't that much better.
    LIFESTYLE is the key element because from that comes WHAT we eat AND how MUCH.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    LIFESTYLE is the key element because from that comes WHAT we eat AND how MUCH.
    True, certain people choose to eat better quality foods because they want to live a healthier life. Still, regular foods contain carcinogens (either chemical or are carcinogenic through physiology) and most folks have no idea what they're eating. Following the USDA's nonsensical food pyramid is a recipe for disaster.

Quantity certainly is important as well; especially when dealing with sugar and white flour. But things like meat and milk get thrown in to that group due to cohorts that people embarrassingly hold up as teh proof that they're bad for your health (when really, there's no evidence to suggest it's the food itself, the preservatives maybe, but not the food itself).

So yeah, for the most part I agree with you, Sanjuro! I just think that lots of people have no idea what it is they're eating (outside of something like soda) and feel that if it were dangerous, then the USDA would protect them from it which just isn't the case. That, and, health reporting in America is downright shameful.