Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Is the food you buy safe to eat?

How do you guys feel about american beef? You like the taste? Have you had beef elsewhere that had a drastically different taste and/or texture?

Anyone here have a successful urban window farm?

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    How do you guys feel about american beef? You like the taste? Have you had beef elsewhere that had a drastically different taste and/or texture?

McDonald's "beef" in Japan tasted almost like restaurant beef here in the US.

I avoid beef in general for the most part, though, regardless of origin. Kuru is a disease that had about a 20-30 year incubation period in cannibals of Papua NG. Kuru also shows that spongiform encephalopathy is a transmittable disease. I'm not convinced that Bovine SE is not transmittable. If you think about it, the British mad cow scare was only about 23 years ago. We could just now be entering the presentation stages of SE for those people. And I'm not convinced that we destroyed it all in the states either. We've had no recent epidemics, but prions can sustain in the soil for a very long time. We may have lowered the concentration of its presence to a degree where the disease doesn't present in slaughter bound cows in their lifetime, but we may have still been consuming them in small doses which could add up over our lifetimes.

But then, I'm already supposedly a potential target for Alzheimer's. It hit my grandmother and it patterns to skip generations. Alzheimer's is thought to be linked to amyloid fibers. Amyloid fibers are the precursors to prions. So, its not confirmed but its enough that anyone can connect the dots to the potential links.

I don't eat beef anymore but when I did I had no problem with American beef. I preferred free range grass fed Black Angus or the tougher but very tasty TX Long Horn. I stick to chicken, turkey and fish now or other wild birds that I hunt, but mostly just because I digest those types of meat better than beef.

Other than orchids, aloe and some other common house plants I've not had much exposure to window farming, though I'd love to learn more about it. I believe you mentioned in past posts that you have done a bit of this type of farming, so how did it go for you?

Quote Originally Posted by SoCo KungFu View Post
    McDonald's "beef" in Japan tasted almost like restaurant beef here in the US.
    So better then? I'll be the first to admit, I have a very unsophisticated palate(sp?). I go out and have a 60 dollar meal and I walk away thinking "rice and a lil sauce would have done it for me". Not that I don't enjoy unique flavours and new tastes, just that I don't live for it and in the end, I couldn't really care less. I'm far more concerned with how it makes me feel. I noticed that the older I get the less dairy I can eat. It just doesn't sit well a few hours later anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenBrain View Post
    I don't eat beef anymore but when I did I had no problem with American beef. I preferred free range grass fed Black Angus or the tougher but very tasty TX Long Horn. I stick to chicken, turkey and fish now or other wild birds that I hunt, but mostly just because I digest those types of meat better than beef.

Other than orchids, aloe and some other common house plants I've not had much exposure to window farming, though I'd love to learn more about it. I believe you mentioned in past posts that you have done a bit of this type of farming, so how did it go for you?

I am not a big beef eater. But then I'm not a big meat eater either. I was a veggie for like 15 years and only a couple years ago started eating meat again. And even then, it was just to prove a point. Long story. I could be veg again and be fine with it.

Window farming. I have limited experience with this in my own home. I built a window farm for a friend. I used an ATmega 328p microcontroller to make a watering system, temp/humidity sensors and sunlight control. Basically automatic blinds with a servo. Nothing too fancy. Just so they didn't have to worry about it before work, it just opened and closed on it's own during the day/night hours. I just programmed in the almanac info for dusk and dawn. The actual planters were custom boxes, long and skinny. Stacked on top of each other and spaced with cable. So basically a hanging planter. A fun day project. The yield was pretty good for what it was. Mostly spices and stuff.

Myself, I had a nice deck awhile ago and I just used planters from the store and did it all by hand. Turned out ok. I would like to go extreme on it, but you know... just haven't gotten around to it. I have some ideas for making more space, staggering the planters to allow more stacks and stuff like that. Someday. Maybe when I move back to the city. I have a big yard right now, so it's not really an issue. I can plant anything I want. Within reason, of course.

I imagine you have all the space you need. Window farming is for people who live in cubicles.

I am interested in urban farming, but for now it's just intellectual curiosity and fact gathering to give me options later. I like to think ahead like that.

I go out and have a 60 dollar meal and I walk away thinking "rice and a lil sauce would have done it for me".
    I often feel this way. Eat to live, not live to eat is the way I roll.

I imagine you have all the space you need.

Indeed. It's a pretty sweet piece of land for sure. I've tried the container gardening on the deck thing and it was fun and fairly productive, but what I've learned is that you just can't beat planting directly in the ground. The deeper the roots can go the bigger and more productive the plants will be. I'd probably use aquaponics for window farming if I were living somewhere without a yard. With aquaponics you get the added benefit of free fertilizer from the fish, filtration from the plants and great fish to eat along with the produce. If you raise tilapia which are plant eaters then you can grow duckweed and spirulina algae in a separate tank to feed your fish. Duckweed and spirulina are also good nutrition for humans and taste great in smoothies. Also, tilapia will be ready to harvest in only 8 months from hatching. The cool thing about this type of farming is that other than the initial setup costs for equipment, fish and seeds, all you really need to pay for is water and electricity and if you use a solar powered pump then you're just paying for the water.

Alrighty Syn, you really got me interested in this concept, not because I lack the space, but because it's just a really great idea and I wanted to learn more about it, so I've been searching the interwebs and ran across this site. http://our.windowfarms.org This site is a treasure trove of info on this type of farming. Apparently there are over 40,000 users on this site sharing ideas about how to improve window farming.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenBrain View Post
    Alrighty Syn, you really got me interested in this concept, not because I lack the space, but because it's just a really great idea and I wanted to learn more about it, so I've been searching the interwebs and ran across this site. http://our.windowfarms.org This site is a treasure trove of info on this type of farming. Apparently there are over 40,000 users on this site sharing ideas about how to improve window farming.
    Yeah, I saw that awhile ago. Bookmarked it and promptly forgot

Story of my life in this oversaturated world of info madness.

What I like about window farming and urban farming in general is that it let's us stay in touch, somewhat, with our agrarian roots in this ever changing overpopulated world. Even though apartments are starting to look like the reference section at your local university library, you can still produce your own food. To an extent, anyways.

Ideally I would like to see people heat their homes with their indoor greenhouses. Just walk into the kitchen and yank some fruit off the wall.

I've seen some pretty innovative versions of this idea. Hopefully it catches on.