Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Would SLT be of any use if it was all you ever got to learn?

Quote Originally Posted by Wayfaring View Post
    The Yip Man SLT I felt in comparison was more just learning to use the elements of Wing Chun - tan, bong, fuk. And maybe centerline.
    The SLT I learned had much more depth than that and I come from a YM lineage.

Here's One Point out of Many that SLT Develops

Most ‘Yip Man’ systems develop ‘SLT’ within the transition of movements and adjustments, not by holding structures alone (using limits or fixed structures) when doing the applications/forms, but through the dynamics of softness/springy energies of the small structures in between each movement. Structures in most cases are not held when it’s time to reroute/redirect energy, block or attack, again, it’s within the transition of application or within one movement to the next when doing the form (SLT) where all of the dynamics and power is truly seen and developed within 'SLT'.

In most cases, the small structures in which I’m speaking about can be found within most wing chun forms, and would not be hidden if one pay attention to one’s structures and applications while in transition to the next. When it comes to ‘structural force or springy force handling’, they’re the shapes that one gets when dealing with transitions which are developed through the sensibility of the primary structural intent and through adjustments of structural understanding that brings true development within the form or within it's system (SLT), and as well with most of its developments (wing chun).

Take care,
    Last edited by Ali. R; 06-25-2013 at 01:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayfaring View Post

The Yip Man SLT I felt in comparison was more just learning to use the elements of Wing Chun - tan, bong, fuk. And maybe centerline.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Much more to it than that...but you can think what you want to.

Quote Originally Posted by Vajramusti View Post
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Much more to it than that...but you can think what you want to.
    Id agree Joy, its all about YKGM to me and implementing that into all the movements

Quote Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
    Id agree Joy, its all about YKGM to me and implementing that into all the movements
    Do you also stand on one leg and get guys twice the size of you to try and push you over via you tan sau?

Quote Originally Posted by Graham H View Post
    Do you also stand on one leg and get guys twice the size of you to try and push you over via you tan sau?
    ------------------------------------------------

??Do you?

------------------------------------------------

??Do you?
    The only time I stand on one leg Joy is when Johnny Lawrence sweeps my leg and Mr Myagi tells me so. In fact when Ralph Macchio done it in the Karate Kid it was more believable than when TST does it.

The only time I stand on one leg Joy is when Johnny Lawrence sweeps my leg and Mr Myagi tells me so. In fact when Ralph Macchio done it in the Karate Kid it was more believable than when TST does it.
    -------------------------------------------------------
    Great! With your opinion and a token I can ride the NYC subway some day.

Bwahahahah... nice one Joy

No, i stand on the countless youtube clips of PB doing the same thing which makes me so high no one can reach me....... i actually have to duck the satellites as they fly past

If you need somebody to read the map so you can find your way there I'm sure Kev will oblige!

Quote Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
    No, i stand on the countless youtube clips of PB doing the same thing which makes me so high no one can reach me....... i actually have to duck the satellites as they fly past
    Quack quack!

The strength of good wing chun is that it is both simple and profound. It is a work of genius really. I don't see why people want to complicate it so much with layers of extra theory. Getting really good at simple ideas is difficult enough.

Would SLT be of any use if it was all you ever got to learn ?

Quote Originally Posted by KungFubar View Post
    Does SLT have any practical use without the other two if you never have a chance to learn any more?
    KungFubar , to me SLT is basically a stationary form where you learn the basic vertical fist punch , correct elbow positioning , blocks and strikes , and how to use the elbow for striking in a certain way . But it ' ll be good to learn the 2 - other forms like chum kiu and bil jee . But since the forms will take awhile for you to learn , better to just learn the applications to the 3 - forms , then you pretty much have a good arsenal to use when the situation takes place . Then when you master the applications to each form then the forms should really become easy for you to learn . Chum Kiu and bil jee is where the kicks in WC comes from . Chum Kiu is a moving form , where bil jee is more of a emergency where you get injured , but still be able to fight off your attackers .

Look at Bruce Lee he learned SLT and modfied it to make it work for him , but it did ' nt work for him against Sifu Wong Jack Man . So he put SLT on the side and began researching other arts to see what they have , to offer BL himself .

The way it was explained to me, Sil Lim Tao teaches you what Wing Chun should feel like. The stance, the structure, the centreline, the forward energy, etc. It's a feeling that you want to be natural. This feeling is more important than the applications at least in the beginning. And when you start moving, you still want the same feeling. If you lose centre, you want to move to get back the feeling as quickly as possible executing whatever techniques are necessary (elbow up, immediately switch to tan sao). This feeling along with the principles is the most important part of Wing Chun. Straight line, centreline, nearest weapon to the target, save time, movement, and energy, etc combined with feeling one gets in Sil Lim Tao will result in the most efficient attack/defense. So really, Sil Lim Tao is the most important thing you'll ever learn in Wing Chun IF you understand this and have a sifu who will be strict with you and really make you understand it and correct all the little mistakes. If however you simply go through the motions and don't understand this, then it's utterly useless.