Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Would SLT be of any use if it was all you ever got to learn?

Quote Originally Posted by KungFubar View Post
    is it the same as goat stance?
    1-Yes aka HOLDING ; ) a goat for er clipping.
    2-aka crane stance , pre-fight side stance aka fighting crane ( love that one and the image of a ****ed of crane ; ) )
    3-aka basic training stance
    4-aka triangle adduction stance
    5-aka character two ( Cantonese ) stance
    6-aka pigeon toe stance

The purpose is simply to condition your toes to turn inwards to help stabilize the hips.

Quote Originally Posted by k gledhill View Post
    1-Yes aka HOLDING ; ) a goat for er clipping.
    2-aka crane stance , pre-fight side stance aka fighting crane ( love that one and the image of a ****ed of crane ; ) )
    3-aka basic training stance
    4-aka triangle adduction stance
    5-aka character two ( Cantonese ) stance
    6-aka pigeon toe stance

The purpose is simply to condition your toes to turn inwards to help stabilize the hips.
    Yes, stabilizing the hips - in terms of adduction this happens with the thighs in relation to the hips. So in our line, stabilizing the hips is part of it, but the adduction itself (and its inward rotation) is to also create the necessary kim sut. So once you're in YJKYM you should be rotating in, sinking down, with energy forward.
    No mocking, tongue-in-cheek signature here... move on.

Quote Originally Posted by KungFubar View Post
    Does SLT have any practical use without the other two if you never have a chance to learn any more?
    Maybe it would be great for meditation by taking one hour to perform it, only if u are into that sort of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by BPWT View Post
    Yes, stabilizing the hips - in terms of adduction this happens with the thighs in relation to the hips. So in our line, stabilizing the hips is part of it, but the adduction itself (and its inward rotation) is to also create the necessary kim sut. So once you're in YJKYM you should be rotating in, sinking down, with energy forward.
    Only a basic static posture many try to " waddle fight " in like the clown Leung Ting. More advanced fighting dynamics involving varying force vectors in unison with balance and fast shifting angling and pivoting to generate force to coincide with facing.

Only a basic static posture many try to " waddle fight " in like the clown Leung Ting. More advanced fighting dynamics involving varying force vectors in unison with balance and fast shifting angling and pivoting to generate force to coincide with facing.
    It might be that some of that clown's students could wipe the floor with you as some of them are very good at waddle fighting perhaps even better than you are with your advanced fighting dynamics. You do not need to insult and belittle others to express how you see things differently. For example some of us do not see the yee gee kim yeung ma as a basic static posture like you but have learned that it is the basis for learning how to receive and generate power and is a very important part of wing chun yet I don't belittle you for not knowing this basic level wing chun. I just look at it as a different viewpoint.

Only a basic static posture many try to " waddle fight " in like the clown Leung Ting.
    You, like Graham, continue to show that you really have little to no idea and no manners either. You are a credit to your teacher, Kevin. (but while you're stinging folks for $200 one-day seminars, who cares, eh?)

Only a basic static posture many try to " waddle fight " in like the clown Leung Ting.
    Kevin, you must be thinking of a different "clown Leung Ting" than the guy I trained with years ago. He didn't "waddle-fight" in YGKYM. He favored an explosive "advancing step" to close on his opponents. Then depending on the situation and force received, he applied pretty much what you stated below:
    ...More advanced fighting dynamics involving varying force vectors in unison with balance and fast shifting angling and pivoting to generate force to coincide with facing.
    Actually, I have seen other WC groups who do favor fighting out of YGKYM, such as the TST lineage, but I am not nearly arrogant enough to dismiss what they do as "waddling", ...even if I don't agree with it. Well, at least not on a public forum.
    Last edited by Grumblegeezer; 06-21-2013 at 12:55 PM.
    "No contaban con mi astucia!" --el Chapulin Colorado

http://www.vingtsunaz.com/
    www.nationalvt.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Grumblegeezer View Post
    I am not nearly arrogant enough to dismiss what they do as "waddling", ...even if I don't agree with it. Well, at least not on a public forum.
    Arrogant enough..maybe you just aren't honest enough?

Touched a nerve have we ? : )
    I have had several LT students, one asked me to kick her in the groin so she could show me how the LT school taught her to pinch her knees as a block of my kick ... She then waddled forwards asking me to kick her , I declined ; ) but to this day share the experience.
    Another LT student leant so much sideways in stances it was easy to control balance by not letting them lean back
    : )
    I also assisted in seminars for clandestine ex LT group in Germany with 100's of students in a huge gym all doing the similar stuff ??!! They couldn't even reach the target to hit as they leaned away blocking at the same time ...
    Last edited by k gledhill; 06-21-2013 at 01:10 PM.

Touched a nerve have we ? : )
    Yes. It's frustrating to witness someone who is themselves a teacher, act the way you do - insulting people like Leung Ting, a man who clearly was regarded by Yip Man. It is staggering that you think your opinion trumps the opinion of the teacher of your teacher's teacher.

If WSL were alive today, I'm sure he'd be very proud of you. The legacy of WSLVT in the hands of people like you and Graham. Funnily, students of Gary Lam and David Peterson have always been open minded and polite - a pleasure to talk and debate with (online or off). I guess bad apples turn up in all lineages

I have had several LT students
    Really? You've had personal students of Leung Ting attending your classes? People that studied with the man? They flew in from Hong Kong, just to learn from you? Wow. You must be something very special.

...one asked me to kick her in the groin so she could show me how the LT school taught her to pinch her knees as a block of my kick ... She then waddled forwards asking me to kick her , I declined ; ) but to this day share the experience.
    It's nice that you think it's cool to share a story aimed to, what, demean a female student? But I'm really not sure what to make of this story. She moved closer because you weren't in kicking range? You failed to take up the challenge? You just made up the story? Not sure why you think her shuffling toward you (if the story is true) is indicative of Leung Ting's approach to fighting.

A better story would have been her kicking you in the nuts. You could have blocked it with your hip alignment?

I also assisted in seminars for clandestine ex LT group in Germany with 100's of students in a huge gym all doing the similar stuff ??!! They couldn't even reach the target to hit as they leaned away blocking at the same time ...
    Sigh. In Germany, right? So these were Leung Ting students who flew in from where - Hong Kong or Hungary? Or were these ex- Keith Kernspecht students from Germany? You do know that what you see in Germany is not what Leung Ting teaches, right? It is what KK has turned the system into - his own ideas, interpretations, direction.

Changes which started as early as the 1980's. But you're aware of that, of course: the changes in the 80's, the early and mid 90s and into the next decade around 2004 that occurred in the EWTO. They continue to this day - KK's choice to make.

You know the differences because you've met and trained with Leung Ting personally, or with Maday Norbert in Hungary, yes? So you have direct experience with these two people?

I have yet to see LT students miss targets because they were leaning back and 'blocking'. I don't think I've been taught to 'block' in a Wing Tsun class. Or are you meaning intercept, disperse, shear? Is that what you mean when you say block?

I myself have missed targets when sparring - if an opponent moved or retreated faster than I moved or advanced - but that's kinda the nature of things. Or does your system somehow provide you with a means of never missing?

Quote Originally Posted by BPWT View Post
    Yes. It's frustrating to witness someone who is themselves a teacher, act the way you do - insulting people like Leung Ting, a man who clearly was regarded by Yip Man. It is staggering that you think your opinion trumps the opinion of the teacher of your teacher's teacher.
    You know I'm not butting in you guys debate or anything, but from a community perspective Leung Ting gets a lot of flack for self-promoting himself to "Master of Almightiness". That foolishness had absolutely nothing to do with Yip Man.

What chi sau is, or isn't, or is, or wait, what is it..: http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/foru...2&postcount=90

Quote Originally Posted by Wayfaring View Post
    You know I'm not butting in you guys debate or anything, but from a community perspective Leung Ting gets a lot of flack for self-promoting himself to "Master of Almightiness". That foolishness had absolutely nothing to do with Yip Man.
    For sure! Leung Ting catches flak for many things. His choice to name his practitioner ranks the way he does certainly sounds odd - especially in English. I don't think I have ever felt offended by someone laughing at these names. Go for it!

But this means that he is lacking in skill? It means he didn't have Yip Man's respect? (he clearly did) It means that the core of Leung Ting's system (which has differences and similarities to WSL's system) is automatically 'ludicrous' as one PB student on this forum puts it?

You don't think it is childish for Kevin (or Graham for that matter), as teachers themselves, to insult a student of Yip Man? Especially when the insults are based on poor knowledge and a complete lack of personal contact?

It is trolling, plain and simple. A nice martial family.

BPWT you can argue all you like, it is a little late...

http://youtu.be/BO5JxAI3CDw

http://youtu.be/TK8KS_Dzsy0

Thanks, Kevin. You failed to answer a single question - which of course is typical for someone trolling. Well done!

Graham also made the claim he had met in Germany 'Leung Ting' students who studied directly under Leung Ting, who were now studying with PB. He said he'd provide some names as I was interested to ask them their opinions. I waited for Graham to come back from his PB seminar.

He too failed. He met some KK guys from Munich though, LOL

Two trolls under the bridge.