Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weapons in Jook Lum SPM?

Weapons in Jook Lum SPM?

I can't seem to find any information regarding what weapons are taught in the Jook Lum Southern Praying Mantis curriculum. Does anyone here happen to know?

actually... while we're on the topic, I'd be curious to see a list of forms in general (yeah, I'm a real curious person ).
    Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    like that old japanese zen monk that grabs white woman student titties to awaken them to zen, i grab titties of kung fu people to awaken them to truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal Canzonieri View Post
    You can discuss discrepancies and so on in people's posts without ripping them apart. So easy to do sitting behind a computer screen anonymously, but in person I'm sure you'd be very different, unless you're a total misanthrope without any friends.

I was taught staff and knives.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Thanks for the input Sanjuro.

Real captain obvious question though: is this the usual twin knives?
    like that old japanese zen monk that grabs white woman student titties to awaken them to zen, i grab titties of kung fu people to awaken them to truth.
    You can discuss discrepancies and so on in people's posts without ripping them apart. So easy to do sitting behind a computer screen anonymously, but in person I'm sure you'd be very different, unless you're a total misanthrope without any friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Kymus View Post
    Thanks for the input Sanjuro.

Real captain obvious question though: is this the usual twin knives?
    Yep, pretty much.

Cool, thanks!

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    In our group, we use staff, butterfly knives, there is also sais, broadsword, Tiger Fork, I believe spear...
    as far as empty hand forms, each school seems to have their own curriculum and versions of the forms, often the same form, but different arrangement of the sequences, and different names.
    ex: sam bo gin, sup bot dim, siem kuen, yat ling bot dim. Others may use sam bo gin, sup bot dim, sam sup luk, chut sup yee, yat ling bot.
    Last edited by TenTigers; 06-21-2013 at 07:15 PM.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Thanks Ten Tigers!

I did some searching on YouTube and I have to say, the staff work is much more unique than I was expecting. Really interesting!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JV1nLte8uU
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cV54mx_ZTcc

Master Gin Foon Mark taught the pole, double knives, and willow leaf broadsword at the very least. Maybe more. Some of his students could fill us in.

power generation

Not to hijack the thread too much but could some one explain how power is generated in the Jook Lum system. I have practiced chow gar mantis in the past and understand how the shock power is developed to deliver the moves. I have been watching many youtube clips but cannot quite understand how jook lum delivers the power for the movements.

thanks,
    mark

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    In our group, we use staff, butterfly knives, there is also sais, broadsword, Tiger Fork, I believe spear...
    as far as empty hand forms, each school seems to have their own curriculum and versions of the forms, often the same form, but different arrangement of the sequences, and different names.
    ex: sam bo gin, sup bot dim, siem kuen, yat ling bot dim. Others may use sam bo gin, sup bot dim, sam sup luk, chut sup yee, yat ling bot.
    Yep. very true, different teachers focused on different weapons.
    Mine was of the view that the staff and knives translated into "modern and real world" situations, so...

Quote Originally Posted by mkim680 View Post
    Not to hijack the thread too much but could some one explain how power is generated in the Jook Lum system. I have practiced chow gar mantis in the past and understand how the shock power is developed to deliver the moves. I have been watching many youtube clips but cannot quite understand how jook lum delivers the power for the movements.

thanks,
    mark
    Hmmm...I tough question to answer in words but I guess the "spring coil" analogy is a good one.
    Compress and explode.
    Rik?

the problem is, there are more than one type of power. There is shock power, coiling power, springy power, whipping power, heavy power (steel bar wrapped in cotton) etc.
    The basic idea is to develop loose, relaxed power. From there, everything else is accomplished.
    ex; loose relaxed power, the strike whips, BUT it must also have spring at the end to recoil (slightly) and coiling power to maintain aliveness.
    easier said, than done...
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

as far as weapons in our Jook Lum SPM, it is one of the very few systems I've encountered where the weapons are truly extension of the hand. The knives the pole, are played exactly like the hands. The dahn-dao, from what I've seen, (haven't learned it yet..) also moves like the hands/body.
    Wing Chun knives move like their hands, and to a certain extent, at least in theory, the staff as well.
    Bagua seems to do this as well. And long arm styles that use axes, hammers, etc .
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Quote Originally Posted by mkim680 View Post

thanks,
    mark
    Like Ten Tigers said, there are more than one power and many ways to generate these powers...BUT...one must have a good center and to be able to be "rooted while moving". In Jook Lum of Lam Sang, the footwork is critical and stepping done in small circles to facilitate the generation of power from the feet/legs, thru the hips, waist, spine, shoulders, arms and ultimately, the hands. Think coiling, spiraling, cutting, whipping and flowing. The hand of Lam has Hsing I and Baqua influences that only appear after one has learned to move the root.
    You have to "feel it" from someone else in order to "steal it" for yourself.

- jo

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    the problem is, there are more than one type of power. There is shock power, coiling power, springy power, whipping power, heavy power (steel bar wrapped in cotton) etc.
    The basic idea is to develop loose, relaxed power. From there, everything else is accomplished.
    ex; loose relaxed power, the strike whips, BUT it must also have spring at the end to recoil (slightly) and coiling power to maintain aliveness.
    easier said, than done...
    Yeah, pretty much.
    It's virtually impossible to explain in words ANY of the types of power expressions.
    Analogies can only take you so far.