Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone here into Reptiles need help ID this reptile?

Anyone here into Reptiles need help ID this reptile?

We have a lot of geckos here in florida some are pretty big up to 6 inches long. Today I noticed a rather large one climbing up the screened lanai? I was alarmed at its size as I had never seen a reptile like that wild in my backyard before. I realized its not a gecko it looks like some kind of monitor lizard but I cant tell what kind maybe one of you will know right away? Another thing I can say is it was extremely fast and then as I got closer he went into a hole in the ground, actually a crevace in the concrete slab and went under the slab.

I think that's a cuban brown anole. If you see it expanding a large red throat display then that'd help with the identification.

It's a lizard!!

Greetings,

GoldenBrain,

I did a search on the net for the Cuban brown anole and I did not find one with similar markings nor with the strong legs this lizard has. I went to u tube and found a posting for the Cuban brown anole and I found nothing consistent with what KungFubar. Take a look:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gP7kLh_N56s

I did notice in my search on monitor lizards that there are quite a few varieties have that ringed pattern, especially on the tail. The monitors are known to move with great speed. The Komodo dragons can move up to 25mph. Since they are known carnivores, you may want to see if it eats meat. Check out the google images.

mickey

it may be a southern fence lizard. a good look at its belly could help to identify as many of these lizards have blue under their necks or on their bellies.

the fence lizards range from grey to brown, and have stripes. some dont have as pronounced of stripes but there is generally a zig zag patter, sort of like what your friend has going on. of course with most repitles, the colors and patterns will depend on the habitat, since these things are directly related to camoflage. 6-7 inches for an adult. like their namesake, they are often found climbing fences, screens, or just scavenging around looking for bugs, just like in your picture.

Last edited by Lucas; 06-21-2013 at 05:18 PM.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    it may be a southern fence lizard. a good look at its belly could help to identify as many of these lizards have blue under their necks or on their bellies.

the fence lizards range from grey to brown, and have stripes. some dont have as pronounced of stripes but there is generally a zig zag patter, sort of like what your friend has going on. 6-7 inches for an adult. like their namesake, they are often found climbing fences, screens, or just scavenging around looking for bugs, just like in your picture.

thanks for all the research, I have looked for about 2 hours today havent concluded anything. THe fence lizard should be it but it isnt because it doesnt ahve the rings on tail or bars on body plus the fence lizard looks like its kinda a horned thing going on its head, this lizard is smooth.

I wonder if its a Nile Monitor an invasive species.......

It could be a baby Nile monitor lizard.

i see what you mean about the horn thing.

good call. it very well could be one of these bad boys. (or girls)

For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Greetings,

KungFubar, I think you are close. In my book it is definitely some kind of monitor lizard. I did look at photos of the Nile monitor lizard. It's head is a little too pointy. Before you mentioned that lizard I was going to get back to you with a longshot: the white mouth monitor lizard that lives in the Kalahari Desert of Africa.

It seems that you desperately WANT to believe that it is a fence lizard. I can understand that. It is better for the nerves. My interest in this thread was your alarm. You recognized that lizard as aberrant. I went with that in my research. Now, Nile monitors have been allowed to proliferate in your area. It would not surprise me if someone unleashed a few white mouth monitors as well. With the white mouth monitor the rings go up the body as in your photo. Do a search on google images.

Good Luck with This

mickey

Quote Originally Posted by mickey View Post
    Greetings,

GoldenBrain,

I did a search on the net for the Cuban brown anole and I did not find one with similar markings nor with the strong legs this lizard has. I went to u tube and found a posting for the Cuban brown anole and I found nothing consistent with what KungFubar. Take a look:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gP7kLh_N56s

I did notice in my search on monitor lizards that there are quite a few varieties have that ringed pattern, especially on the tail. The monitors are known to move with great speed. The Komodo dragons can move up to 25mph. Since they are known carnivores, you may want to see if it eats meat. Check out the google images.

mickey
    Hey mickey! I think you're right on the money. I totally missed this one but in my defense I was looking at the pictures on my iPhone. Looking at them now on my laptop I can see the markings much better and Cuban Brown Anole is way off.

I'm no reptile expert so I will happily defer to others more knowledgable. As for the monitor lizards being released, it's just a real shame. I understand they have become quite a problem though I never saw one in the 8 years I lived in FL.

Edit: I've been looking through tons of photos and I am going with the Nile Monitor as Jimbo suggested. One thing that is very apparent is that those suckers get huge so I suggest KungFubar make a belt out of that thing now before it eats somebodies dog.
    Last edited by GoldenBrain; 06-21-2013 at 07:09 PM.

Im convinced its a monitor lizard but I am not satisfied that it is any we have proposed?

IMO The closest was the Nile but Im only 40% sure that is what it is. I looked at the white mouth one but I didnt get that "aha" feeling.

I saw him again. He recognized me from 30 yards and just glared at me defiantly.

Tomorrow I will try to get a close up with the telephoto. Thats a film camera though so there will be delay in posting.

Also I plan to wait by his hole, get as close as possible and then we he least expects it, FOOM! nail him with the limited telephoto zoom feature on my dads kodak digital to capture his spirt onto my computer. I want to get a photo of his toungue, if it is forked that is DNA positive that he is a monitor lizard. And if I can get a shot of his underbelly that would yield more information as to his origins.

I know in birds, juvenilles can look much differnt than adults so maybe he is a juvenille. I would estimate his total length to be about 28 to 30"

Ill keep searching but.... I just want to know what Im dealing with here. I understand monitor lizards harbor flesh eating bacteria in their mouth. Komodo dragons bite a prey and then let it go. In 3 days its dead from the bacteria. It goes from 100% health to dead in 2 to 3 days. Then they start feasting on the carcass like its thanksgiving time.

Black and White Tegu?

KungFubar,

Check this out:

http://www.myfwc.com/media/2380549/Tegu-brochure.pdf

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Bl...White_Tegu.jpg

They are close to the monitor lizard and they have a slightly smaller head like in your picture.

mickey

Its just a Florida Scrub Lizard.

Quote Originally Posted by mickey View Post
    KungFubar,

Check this out:

http://www.myfwc.com/media/2380549/Tegu-brochure.pdf

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Bl...White_Tegu.jpg

They are close to the monitor lizard and they have a slightly smaller head like in your picture.

mickey
    ya it definitely has the banding going on

Quote Originally Posted by KungFubar View Post
    ya it definitely has the banding going on
    No it not a tegu. I keep Tegus, they're nothing alike. Its a Sceloporus. Either a FL scrub or southern fence.