Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone here into Reptiles need help ID this reptile?

Quote Originally Posted by SoCo KungFu View Post
    No it not a tegu. I keep Tegus, they're nothing alike. Its a Sceloporus. Either a FL scrub or southern fence.
    It doesnt match the photos of Tegu, Scrub or Fence lizards. My neighbor seems to have information that it is a cross breed of a native lizard and an invasive lizard like the nile monitor and thats why I cant find a match.

Im going to submit to some wildlife people. Thanks for all the replies.

Greetings KungFubar,

Please give us an update when you find out for sure. I want to know.

mickey

Quote Originally Posted by mickey View Post
    Greetings KungFubar,

Please give us an update when you find out for sure. I want to know.

mickey
    ok no problem.

So everyone here, including me, was wrong on this one. I emailed the local herpetologist who happens to be a drinking buddy and he said its a spiny tailed iguana. Its very young though. I've never seen one myself in person. That young it threw me off because as adults they can look quite different. They lose a lot of their distinctive markings and form that typical spined keel you normally think of with iguanas.

The next question though is, where in FL did you find this? You should probably report this because from best I've read in the past, these iguanas compete with green iguanas for habitat. I've heard they can't establish in places where the green iguanas have. Could be wrong though. But some local wildlife management would likely be grateful for the info if you're not in one of the established locations for these.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCo KungFu View Post
    So everyone here, including me, was wrong on this one. I emailed the local herpetologist who happens to be a drinking buddy and he said its a spiny tailed iguana. Its very young though. I've never seen one myself in person. That young it threw me off because as adults they can look quite different. They lose a lot of their distinctive markings and form that typical spined keel you normally think of with iguanas.

The next question though is, where in FL did you find this? You should probably report this because from best I've read in the past, these iguanas compete with green iguanas for habitat. I've heard they can't establish in places where the green iguanas have. Could be wrong though. But some local wildlife management would likely be grateful for the info if you're not in one of the established locations for these.
    Pattern seems to match the spiny tail iguana but what about the crest. This lizard has no crest, is that because it is young and then later it will get the crest?

Are they insanely invasive like their green friends?

I hear that in PR you can't walk 3 feet w/o stepping on one.

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    Are they insanely invasive like their green friends?

I hear that in PR you can't walk 3 feet w/o stepping on one.
    Ive lived here 10 years and never saw any kind of lizard except the little geckos that dart around the garden. So when I saw this individual, it was highly unusual and interesting to me.

Well it's gonna get a hell of a lot bigger lol...

Well it's gonna get a hell of a lot bigger lol...
    i dont mind as long as they arent dangerous to people or start any trouble around here. Kinda gives the backyard a wild kind of vibe. Me likey! so um..... how big do they get??

Dunno, but if the rival their green cuzzies.... well... they can get pretty big.

Green(common) iguana^^^

A quick google search shows me pics that tell me they do get quite large, but I'm no lizard expert and I can't even be sure that the pics I saw are actually what you have living in your yard.

What I can say is that if they are as invasive as the greens, this could be the start of a problem.

Here's the wiki, for what it's worth.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ctenosaura

The species range in size (total length, including the tail) from about 12.5 centimetres (4.9 in) to well over 1 metre (39 in). The distinctive feature of this genus is the presence of enlarged, spiny scales on the tail.
    Last edited by Syn7; 06-23-2013 at 11:03 AM.

Dunno, but if the rival their green cuzzies.... well... they can get pretty big.

Green(common) iguana^^^

A quick google search shows me pics that tell me they do get quite large, but I'm no lizard expert and I can't even be sure that the pics I saw are actually what you have living in your yard.

What I can say is that if they are as invasive as the greens, this could be the start of a problem.

Here's the wiki, for what it's worth.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ctenosaura
    They get pretty big.... I wonder if they taste like chicken?

Everything tastes like chicken... act like you know....!!!

I think you are right, that may be it, after reading your wiki link. It says.

Speed

The world record sprint speed for lizards (21.5 miles/h or 34.6 km/h) was attained by the Costa Rican spiny-tailed iguana (Ctenosaura similis).[1][2]

So it is the fastest lizard in the world as I observed and reported here with exclamation in the opening post.

lol, squirrely lil bastards!!!

Greetings,

Thank you for getting back to us, KungFubar, with the info.

It makes me wonder if it was somebody's pet, given it's origin

mickey