Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone here into Reptiles need help ID this reptile?

Quote Originally Posted by mickey View Post
    Greetings,

Thank you for getting back to us, KungFubar, with the info.

It makes me wonder if it was somebody's pet, given it's origin

mickey
    Im still only 80% sure that is it because I didnt see any crest on the head or spines on the tail of the one who resides in my back garden, we made eye contact with each other again today.

What does match is the rings on the tail, the bars on the body, the color, the muscularity, and the speed.

This eye contact thing....

If it was a pet, do you think it is waiting for you to feed it? It seems dependent.

Ever consider catching it? Just put a lure in a large duffle bag.

mickey

Many reptiles look quite different when they are young.

Ill try to get some better photos. What would I lure him with? Im thinking fishing pole, cast something out there without any hooks in it and just bait him along into range of my camera for a close up. Maybe a chunk of rotting meat or something. IDK.

Maybe one of those one way rat traps. Just put something tasty in there and wait for him to wander in. Of course you will prolly catch all sorts of creatures that eat similar foods, but maybe you'll get lucky. Dragging bait across your lawn will prolly take years. Best to just set your trap and check periodically.

As for the bait...

Ctenosaurs are generally omnivorous, feeding on fruits, flowers, foliage, and small animals.
    A lil research will prolly find you the best bait.

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    Maybe one of those one way rat traps. Just put something tasty in there and wait for him to wander in. Of course you will prolly catch all sorts of creatures that eat similar foods, but maybe you'll get lucky. Dragging bait across your lawn will prolly take years. Best to just set your trap and check periodically.

As for the bait...

A lil research will prolly find you the best bait.
    he looks like a predator and he is fast and muscular, Im going to use a grasshopper tied to monofilament, i dont have a trap like that. I may film the whole thing and post to youtube. This is starting to get time consuming I may have to check myself.

Okay okay okay!!

You don't have to trap it.

You can just peacefully coexist.

mickey

Quote Originally Posted by KungFubar View Post
    he looks like a predator and he is fast and muscular, Im going to use a grasshopper tied to monofilament, i dont have a trap like that. I may film the whole thing and post to youtube. This is starting to get time consuming I may have to check myself.
    Try a plate of fruit and veggies. I think that's what iguanas eat most. If it's a monitor then I'd bet on it being a meat eater. Also, thanks for getting back to us and definitely keep us posted. This has been an interesting thread.

Well if it's an invasive species, you should trap it and turn it in to Control.

Those rat traps are like 10 bucks. It's just a box with a door. Nobody gets hurt. If it's native, you can just take pics and let it go. Also it will take up very lil time. You bait the trap then periodically check and release any unintended captures. No harm, no foul.

Besides, it all sounds kinda fun to me.
    Last edited by Syn7; 06-23-2013 at 06:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    Well if it's an invasive species, you should trap it and turn it in to Control.

Those rat traps are like 10 bucks. It's just a box with a door. Nobody gets hurt. If it's native, you can just take pics and let it go. Also it will take up very lil time. You bait the trap then periodically check and release any unintended captures. No harm, no foul.

Besides, it all sounds kinda fun to me.
    what if its an endangered protective species and it turns out its a felony to possess one. Possession of certain reptiles is a felony. I actually knew a guy who got arrested for illegal possession of certain reptiles and he was a felon and couldnt apply to be a US marshall which he wanted to do since he was 10 years old. Also the interesting thing I found out as a side note, the wildlife officers dont need any warrant to come into your house and search your stuff. Just saying. Probably is someones pet escaped but still it was interesting tidbit to mention.

you should eat it.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Yeah... but there is a really easy way around this. You show the pic to Control and ask if it's endangered or invasive. Depending on the answer, you go from there.

It's also worth noting that unless your friend knowingly captured or bought an endangered reptile, whoever actually pressed charges was a massive douchebag and most likely the exception to the rule.

There are some fish you can't kill and keep. But if you are fishing for salmon and pull up something rare and conservation officers see this, you cannot be charged. They have to show you were trying to catch that fish. It's like when crabbing... just netting the lil guys is not against the law. Keeping and/or killing them is. Anything less is simply unreasonable and ridiculous.

I'm just sayin... you can torment and drag a grasshopper across your lawn all day and prolly never see a thing. Or you can bait a trap and walk away.

And if your friend did capture and keep an animal he did not properly identify, he kinda got what he had coming. Ignorance is not an excuse, but intent is relevant. I mean... do we really want people who couldn't be bothered to do their homework being given a gun and sent off to catch fugitives and stuff?

Here's a decent bit of info... http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/in528

At this point I definitely agree with SoCo's herpetologist friend that it's a spiny tailed iguana. I think it's specifically a black spiny tailed iguana. In the info page I linked above they mention that the black spiny tailed species has reduced dorsal spines. If you scroll down the page it also mentions that iguanas can be captured and removed from private property at any time without special permits so no worries there.

Or, you could invite bawang over to show you how to cook that bad boy up.

Edit: From the link above... See Figure 5. Female black spiny-tailed iguana (Ctenosaura similes).
    Credit: W. H. Kern, Jr., University of Florida, Ft. Lauderdale

Also see table 1. Preferred Iguana Food Plants. Just in case you want to trap it.
    Last edited by GoldenBrain; 06-23-2013 at 08:28 PM.

bawang will kill it with the wombat stare. They will lock gazes and bawang will steal it's chi and then feast on the carcass to gain the strength of ten ronnie colemans!

I now am now 95% sure it is a female black spiny tailed iguana due to its supreme speed. Ive now read that the females do not have the crest or the spines like the males. If I did trap it I would only do so so I could let it go out in the wild areas so nobody would report him and he would be killed. I probably will let him alone and let him live there in my yard. Actually his hole is not on my property so i cannot protect him there.

This is a photo of one from another website.

Last edited by KungFubar; 06-23-2013 at 07:59 PM.