Thread: Q&A for websites and phamplets

Q&A for websites and phamplets

Morning all. I'm writing up some Q&A for martial arts/Wing Chun web pages and pamphlets. Please let me know if you see any errors or if you've gotten other questions that could be answered. The end goal is to make this available so potential students can make good choices.

Thanks!

Leam

####

"Why should I study martial arts?"

Serious study of any martial provides significant physical and mental benefits. In some aspects fencing, firearms, boxing, and kung fu are the same. Dedicated student demonstrate increased cardio capacity, muscle tone, whole body coordination, mental resiliency, and confidence. There is an encouraging feedback loop involved as well; the more you practice the better results you get. That encourages us to be diligent and thoughtful in our practice so that we see even better results. Practicing martial arts improves who you are.

"Am I too old/unfit/poor/busy/unliked to practice?"

Watch this. What was your question?

"How do I pick an instructor?"

Whatever school you choose will seriously impact who you are. For good or ill, become like your instructor and senior students. If they are humble and skilled then you are on their path. If they are self-centered and brutish then you are on their path. Choose an instructor that your friends will respect and your friends will respect you more.

"How do I choose a martial art?"

A lot depends on your location and mobility. If there is a great school 10 hours away or a decent one a block away, which will motivate you to attend more often and succeed faster? A serious student will make significant progress no matter what martial art they choose. It is more about you than the art.

See what schools you can get to on a regular basis. Then go meet the instructors as that might narrow down your choices. Then you can look at options and choose an art that fits your body type and mindset.

"Why should I study Wing Chun?"

Basic Wing Chun training focuses on control of the center line, efficiency, relaxed structure, and avoiding risky over-commitment. As a fighting art Wing Chun provides skills for close combat and does not require large muscles to be effective.

"Why doesn't Wing Chun have flashy kicks to the head?"

As you progress in Wing Chun training your body sense and structural awareness provide the power in techniques. While not flashy, the ability to put your entire body into a punch is very effective. Since you will be controlling the center line in a fight it is great if your opponent tries a flashy kick. That leaves him very open to your chain punches; a technique for striking half a dozen times in one second.

Quote Originally Posted by Leam View Post
    Morning all. I'm writing up some Q&A for martial arts/Wing Chun web pages and pamphlets. Please let me know if you see any errors or if you've gotten other questions that could be answered. The end goal is to make this available so potential students can make good choices.

Thanks!

Leam

####

"Why should I study martial arts?"

Serious study of any martial provides significant physical and mental benefits. In some aspects fencing, firearms, boxing, and kung fu are the same. Dedicated student demonstrate increased cardio capacity, muscle tone, whole body coordination, mental resiliency, and confidence. There is an encouraging feedback loop involved as well; the more you practice the better results you get. That encourages us to be diligent and thoughtful in our practice so that we see even better results. Practicing martial arts improves who you are.

"Am I too old/unfit/poor/busy/unliked to practice?"

Watch this. What was your question?

"How do I pick an instructor?"

Whatever school you choose will seriously impact who you are. For good or ill, become like your instructor and senior students. If they are humble and skilled then you are on their path. If they are self-centered and brutish then you are on their path. Choose an instructor that your friends will respect and your friends will respect you more.

"How do I choose a martial art?"

A lot depends on your location and mobility. If there is a great school 10 hours away or a decent one a block away, which will motivate you to attend more often and succeed faster? A serious student will make significant progress no matter what martial art they choose. It is more about you than the art.

See what schools you can get to on a regular basis. Then go meet the instructors as that might narrow down your choices. Then you can look at options and choose an art that fits your body type and mindset.

"Why should I study Wing Chun?"

Basic Wing Chun training focuses on control of the center line, efficiency, relaxed structure, and avoiding risky over-commitment. As a fighting art Wing Chun provides skills for close combat and does not require large muscles to be effective.

"Why doesn't Wing Chun have flashy kicks to the head?"

As you progress in Wing Chun training your body sense and structural awareness provide the power in techniques. While not flashy, the ability to put your entire body into a punch is very effective. Since you will be controlling the center line in a fight it is great if your opponent tries a flashy kick. That leaves him very open to your chain punches; a technique for striking half a dozen times in one second.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Amazing what the forum can draw,