Thread: Dead dummy or Live one?

Dead dummy or Live one?

Is a dead dummy fixed to the ground no good? live one on flexible slats better? What about dead dummy but turns on a axis?

What you refer to as a dead dummy is perfectly fine for training and is the traditional type. The frame mounted version only arose because of apartment blocks in hong kong. Avoid gimmicks like rotating trunks and springs on arms etc they actually reduce your ability to use the dummy properly.
    A clever man learns from his mistakes but a truly wise man learns from the mistakes of others.

Wing Chun kung fu in Redditch
    Worcestershire Wing Chun Kuen on facebook

Quote Originally Posted by KungFubar View Post
    Is a dead dummy fixed to the ground no good? live one on flexible slats better? What about dead dummy but turns on a axis?
    Personally I prefer the dummy's body to be mounted on a frame. Even here there is much variability in framed dummies with respects to how 'live' it might feel. I do think that one can go too far and have a dummy set on slats that are just too flexible.

I currently have one of the 'Immortal' range of dummies, an older version no less that includes a rudimentary 'frame' rather than a freestanding 'base'. Although it is not a very live dummy, the material is very dense (epoxy resin) and the total unit weighs close to 150 KG (my previous estimate of 90kg was way out!). The frame is freestanding so much fun can be had practicing po pis where one can shift about the entire 150KG unit.

Like Ian suggests I would avoid a rotating dummy or anything by Randy Williams . I would, however, recommend a frame over a free standing base but not for the reason of 'aliveness of the dummy'.

With a frame the dummy's body is off the ground and a gap present directly under it. Some techniques have you stepping a foot under the dummy's body and you can't do that with a freestanding one. Further, it is a lot easy to adjust the height of your dummy (always a good idea to practice at different heights!) when it is mounted on a frame. Indeed, many frames have mounting brackets at different heights.

A fixed or frame mounted dummy makes little difference. You don't want a rotating axis or springs that allow partial rotation.

Quote Originally Posted by KungFubar View Post
    My teacher says a fixed dummy is better if for no other reason than thats what they used originally. My preference is a live dummy. But IMO most people take the live dummy concept too far by claiming it represents a live opponent better.

Quote Originally Posted by k gledhill View Post
    A fixed or frame mounted dummy makes little difference. You don't want a rotating axis or springs that allow partial rotation.
    Hmm, I was always under the impression that a "dead" dummy did not give and thus the energy was rebounded back into your body. This would help to improve ones stance and structure a bit more as you had to be able to absorb that energy back. A "live" dummy OTOH would flex and allow you to project force into it and the dummy would move slightly along the slats.

A "dead" dummy is, I would think more expensive as the body needs to be about twice as long. Since a good portion would need to be buried in the ground. Also, much more permanent. All in all I think that the "live" dummy is more practical given the living arrangements most of us have to deal with.
    Peace,

Dave

http://www.sifuchowwingchun.com
    Wherever my opponent stands--they are in my space

Dead or alive ... the choice is yours.

I prefer a live dummy FWIW.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!