Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CLF same as Lama/Hop Ga/Ba Hok

CLF same as Lama/Hop Ga/Ba Hok

There is some interesting research coming out of China that has these 2 styles being strongly related to each other.

Something about 2 temples where both styles have links to sharing teachers etc.

Anybody heard about this. There is a article in one of the MA Magazines there so am waiting for a copy to provide further info.

Sounds interesting.

Interesting that this comes up again. This idea was suggested by GruBianca in the Lama style thread that Cerebus started. Let us know if you hear of any genuine research. Heck, even blunt speculation. It is a worthy topic.
    "Look, I'm only doing me job. I have to show you how to defend yourself against fresh fruit."

For it breeds great perfection, if the practise be harder then the use. Sir Francis Bacon

the world has a surplus of self centered sh1twh0res, so anyone who extends compassion to a stranger with sincerity is alright in my book. also people who fondle road kill. those guys is ok too. GunnedDownAtrocity

At some point I wouldn't doubt it, but the styles are too different to talk about them originating in some of the same way or same place. To an outsider some techniques look the same, but if you look at my sifus first form on youtube, Yeah...not even close.

Personally I don't believe it...history of all southern styles is sketchy at best. All southern styles share similarities...hung gar, jow gar, hung fut, CLF, lama/hop gar/bak hok but there are noticeable differences to. Plus I think lama is much older than CLF.

Although we must allow for some deception and incomplete information within the histories of the schools, they don't really match up time-wise. CLF was well developed in the 1830s while Lama was reportedly brought to Gwongdong during the reign of Yi Zhu, the Xianfeng Emperor (1850-1861).

I just see them as sharing some common sources from further back than the 19th century.
    "Look, I'm only doing me job. I have to show you how to defend yourself against fresh fruit."

For it breeds great perfection, if the practise be harder then the use. Sir Francis Bacon

the world has a surplus of self centered sh1twh0res, so anyone who extends compassion to a stranger with sincerity is alright in my book. also people who fondle road kill. those guys is ok too. GunnedDownAtrocity

Blog Entries
    CLF was well developed in the 1830s while Lama was reportedly brought to Gwongdong during the reign of Yi Zhu, the Xianfeng Emperor (1850-1861).
    CLF was developed in 1830's but in my opinion wasn't well developed since it was a new system at that time. sure, by time chan heung died it may have been well developed by then but not in the 1830's. I see more bagua stuff in CLF than i do Lama style.
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

Sifu Chan Tai San taught both Lama Pai and CLF. I would think his students, the most prominent of which are, or were, members on these boards, and Sifu in their own right, might know something about that, or at least have more insight than anyone else here about a CLF-Lama connection.

Quote Originally Posted by brothernumber9 View Post
    Sifu Chan Tai San taught both Lama Pai and CLF. I would think his students, the most prominent of which are, or were, members on these boards, and Sifu in their own right, might know something about that, or at least have more insight than anyone else here about a CLF-Lama connection.
    I doubt that this Chan Tai Shan could have really studied both, as there are prohibitions by the clan sects against this sort of thing

meet the new troll, same as the old troll
    BUT WE WON'T GET FOOLED AGAIN!!!!!!!!
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    meet the new troll, same as the old troll
    BUT WE WON'T GET FOOLED AGAIN!!!!!!!!
    A wise man once said:

"old trolls live in ignorance under bridges; I walk in bright-knowing amongst the clouds; if you cannot see this, it is because you are an old troll that lives under a bridge"

these are the words of the Hoary Man.

Quote Originally Posted by Primalaxisguy View Post

"old trolls live in ignorance under bridges; I walk in bright-knowing amongst the clouds; if you cannot see this, it is because you are an old troll that lives under a bridge"
    ok, great, now you are paraphrasing what was written on the wall of the old mineola school, so are you richard? I think you must be.

As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

ok, great, now you are paraphrasing what was written on the wall of the old mineola school, so are you richard? I think you must be.
    I do not know of this "mineola school" that you speak of; but as you are an old troll living under a bridge, I will leave you in peace to your musings, sir

Quote Originally Posted by Primalaxisguy View Post
    I do not know of this "mineola school" that you speak of; but as you are an old troll living under a bridge, I will leave you in peace to your musings, sir
    Give it up Richard, or as we used to call you ****, with your knotted beard, talking about "empty force" I remember you... .

Give it up Richard, or as we used to call you ****, with your knotted beard, talking about "empty force" I remember you... .
    I admit, it was a special night...

but I have moved on...

Quote Originally Posted by ngokfei View Post
    There is some interesting research coming out of China that has these 2 styles being strongly related to each other.

Something about 2 temples where both styles have links to sharing teachers etc.

Anybody heard about this. There is a article in one of the MA Magazines there so am waiting for a copy to provide further info.

Sounds interesting.
    do you even study Kung Fu?