Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Anti BJJ, ground stuff...

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    well wrestling is the art of the takedown and pin neither of which bjj excels at lol, their takedown of choice way body lock and trip if you are going off the old Gracie videos

nope the weakness (if you can call it that) is that unlike wrestling or judo you dont score extra points for a clean throw or takedown, and the focus isnt the takedown or thorw its the submission mainly
    so they looked to take the fight to the ground anyway they could, trip guard pull etc the takedown wasnt the focus finishing the fight by submission or ground and pound was, thus the takedown isnt that well developed in BJJ
    That's very interesting, thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    like that old japanese zen monk that grabs white woman student titties to awaken them to zen, i grab titties of kung fu people to awaken them to truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal Canzonieri View Post
    You can discuss discrepancies and so on in people's posts without ripping them apart. So easy to do sitting behind a computer screen anonymously, but in person I'm sure you'd be very different, unless you're a total misanthrope without any friends.

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    many people get BJJ and wrestling confused. Reason, they have never done either. Wrestling is not a submission based system. There goal is takedown to pin.

What makes wrestling great in my book and different from BJJ on the ground is the movement. Wrestling teaches movement and how to capitalize upon the movement for position.

BJJ is submission from position based. Which in my book if you can blend the two you've got something.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    Things wrong with that video

1, sprawl with no forward pressure

2. sprawl while trying to keep hand on back of neck and grab wrist!

3. pummeling with elbows up

4. posture in pummeling

5. guy you love so much does a double, doesn't use momentum, tries to PICK UP THE LEGS... meaning he doesn't understand how the takedown really works

6. Showing leg takedowns with wrong hand placement, wrong head position etc

I could go on

This is the problem, people can go on youtbue and "fake it" to most people, but once you have studied real wrestling you learn how aweful most of the stuff on youtube really is
    Mmmmmmmmmm yes. Video = Mmmmmmmmmmm No.

watched the video again, this time all the way through - you guys are such curmudgeons. Again - I'll reiterate - it's not that bad.

My guess is the guy in white does some type of grappling - probably BJJ because his movements are in line with that type of training. His "non-shoot" is consistent with a baiana and he transitions to side control pretty instinctively in the short instance you see him do it around the 1:04 mark, and at the end the rolling set up is for a d'arce and that's something you wouldn't know to do without being showed. Without knowing the guy, I'd put him at least upper Blue - but he could be higher because like you guys point out, BJJ isn't known for its shoot takedowns.

I think he's cross training and the guy in red is his sifu, BUT, the guy in red has never done anything grappling related competitively because he's doing some non-realistic carryover from South East Asian inspired MA - things like the neck twist seem very Silat, or even Wing Chun to me and are relics of the slow, cooperative over-analyzing his student's grappling to find some kind of a counter from within the system thing that happens every now and again in traditional MA. And that does influence the guy in white because he showing some of that throughout the video and I bet he'd never do some of that in grappling competition.

Overall - I don't see any harm in this type of seminar - it's a basic introduction to grappling for non-grapplers. Learning the sprawl and pummel are good (the pummel they show with forehead to forehead isn't something I'm familiar with being Judo we were chest to chest, but I could see a BJJ guy doing it forehead to forehead because they come in that way when they set their grips).

Is it great? No, does it hurt you to learn it? No because no one at that seminar is anticipating the ADCC down the line, they're there to see very basic water down grappling.

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    watched the video again, this time all the way through - you guys are such curmudgeons. Again - I'll reiterate - it's not that bad.

My guess is the guy in white does some type of grappling - probably BJJ because his movements are in line with that type of training. His "non-shoot" is consistent with a baiana and he transitions to side control pretty instinctively in the short instance you see him do it around the 1:04 mark, and at the end the rolling set up is for a d'arce and that's something you wouldn't know to do without being showed. Without knowing the guy, I'd put him at least upper Blue - but he could be higher because like you guys point out, BJJ isn't known for its shoot takedowns.

I think he's cross training and the guy in red is his sifu, BUT, the guy in red has never done anything grappling related competitively because he's doing some non-realistic carryover from South East Asian inspired MA - things like the neck twist seem very Silat, or even Wing Chun to me and are relics of the slow, cooperative over-analyzing his student's grappling to find some kind of a counter from within the system thing that happens every now and again in traditional MA. And that does influence the guy in white because he showing some of that throughout the video and I bet he'd never do some of that in grappling competition.

Overall - I don't see any harm in this type of seminar - it's a basic introduction to grappling for non-grapplers. Learning the sprawl and pummel are good (the pummel they show with forehead to forehead isn't something I'm familiar with being Judo we were chest to chest, but I could see a BJJ guy doing it forehead to forehead because they come in that way when they set their grips).

Is it great? No, does it hurt you to learn it? No because no one at that seminar is anticipating the ADCC down the line, they're there to see very basic water down grappling.

so you are ok with them learning inncorrect ways to pummel (eldows out and way too much distance on the swim) AND sprawl (hips up not down no pressure what so ever) right off the bat...really thats a good idea in your book to start of learning something substandard rather than learning the right way to do it from the get go??

why bother learning something correctly, when you can just learn it half-arse... that's your motto?

It's just bad, period, get over it
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

why bother learning something correctly, when you can just learn it half-arse... that's your motto?

It's just bad, period, get over it

look at the audience. It's consistent for the class - and if it inspires someone to go to a higher level training - all the better.

I'm not here to defend the video or the guys in the video - it's just that I don't see any harm in doing a seminar like that. It would be hard to come up with a lesson plan for non-grapplers to introduce them to grappling, but I see value in it if I was trying to drum up business for a grappling/Judo club.

look at the audience. It's consistent for the class - and if it inspires someone to go to a higher level training - all the better.

I'm not here to defend the video or the guys in the video - it's just that I don't see any harm in doing a seminar like that. It would be hard to come up with a lesson plan for non-grapplers to introduce them to grappling, but I see value in it if I was trying to drum up business for a grappling/Judo club.
    Come off it I can and have done a wrestling seminar for newbies its not that hard: you teach posture, elbows in head up hips under the head, you reinforce that posture by teaching correct pummeling: elbows in, digging for the underhook driving forward as you dig pushing of the back leg etc
    Then teach proper sprawling: level change, hip to mat, then teach it with a partner statically, so they can learn the three s:stuff sprawl square up with the proper pressure
    The issue isn’t what he taught, sprawling, head position pummeling is all good, its how he is doing it that’s the problem

right back at you

There is no excuse for teaching things wrong, NONE WHATSOEVER.... "hey this will only work if the other person can't actually wrestle, but hey you paid money for this crap"... that's really what you are defending here

[QUOTE=MightyB;1236251]

I'm not here to defend the video or the guys in the video -

[/QUOTE[]

BUT YOU ARE DEFENDING THEM

it's just that I don't see any harm in doing a seminar like that.
    you don't see any harm in showing people martial arts techniques that don't actually work, and having them pay for it?

It would be hard to come up with a lesson plan for non-grapplers to introduce them to grappling,
    I teach people with zero wrestling base real wrestling 6 days a week

but I see value in it if I was trying to drum up business for a grappling/Judo club.
    wow, what low ethics you have
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    Come off it I can and have done a wrestling seminar for newbies its not that hard: you teach posture, elbows in head up hips under the head, you reinforce that posture by teaching correct pummeling: elbows in, digging for the underhook driving forward as you dig pushing of the back leg etc
    Then teach proper sprawling: level change, hip to mat, then teach it with a partner statically, so they can learn the three s:stuff sprawl square up with the proper pressure
    The issue isn’t what he taught, sprawling, head position pummeling is all good, its how he is doing it that’s the problem
    Vid please* or it didn't happen

LOL

I'm becoming quite the contrarian.

It's going to rain, these guys suck and guvment's going to take 'way my medcaid to give it to poor people! sumbich.

---

They aren't good 'tis true. I yield.

---

Now give me my $5 for the concealed knife pic and you owe YKW $4.95 for the spiked ring lesson!

wow, what low ethics you have
    Sadly, I've done worse! I'm 'Merican darnit and I likes money! Heck - I've made commercials for campaigns for some of the worst politicians and got's them elected. But it's the worst ones that pay the best!

Sadly, I've done worse! I'm 'Merican darnit and I likes money! Heck - I've made commercials for campaigns for some of the worst politicians and got's them elected. But it's the worst ones that pay the best!

like that old japanese zen monk that grabs white woman student titties to awaken them to zen, i grab titties of kung fu people to awaken them to truth.
    You can discuss discrepancies and so on in people's posts without ripping them apart. So easy to do sitting behind a computer screen anonymously, but in person I'm sure you'd be very different, unless you're a total misanthrope without any friends.

The only anti-grappling there is, is when you KO the guy before he can get a hold of you.
    The moment he has a grip, its grappling.

Period.

Look, all MA are specialized in one way or another nowadays.
    Judo is ideal for throws and pins with jackets.
    BJJ is ideal for ground submission with jackets.
    Submission grappling is ideal for submission without jackets
    Wrestling is ideal for takedowns and pins.
    MT is ideal for striking AND clinch-striking.
    Boxing is ideal for closed fist striking
    Etc, etc, etc...

Every systems has its strong points AND its limitations.
    Learn BOTH from someone that knows and you can deal with BOTH.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Every systems has its strong points AND its limitations.

Learn BOTH from someone that knows and you can deal with BOTH.
    Ameri Do Te > Anything else in history.