Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: yellow face/white washing.

Hybrid View

yellow face/white washing.

a friend of mine, made this video about the current trend of white washing thats been happening recently in hollywood. decided to post it here especially after its been announce that the character of the shredder from tmnt will be played by a white actor:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IIP6YeTBh8

shredder wont be played by a japanese actor? thats bullsh!t
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

I like this guy's vids. He speaks 100% truth, but is hilarious at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by doug maverick View Post
    a friend of mine, made this video about the current trend of white washing thats been happening recently in hollywood. decided to post it here especially after its been announce that the character of the shredder from tmnt will be played by a white actor:

Now Shredder, I'm shocked, after watching the cartoons as a kid. that's little different from David Carradine in Kung Fu putting on a rubber hat. Has nothing changed? Well, now on TV black people can be partners to the white cop, and there can be a funny Asian guy who also works as a police officer but who is peripheral to the main story.

Great video, by the way. I love the yellow hulk going through all the stereotypes. Classic.

Well, I called it.... that movie is going to be a total cluster eff.

Oroku Saki = white dude?

yep, makes sense.

We should also make sure that Splinter doesn't have a Japanese accent either. Dun want to offend any nihonjin by making them think that we're calling them rats.....
    Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    like that old japanese zen monk that grabs white woman student titties to awaken them to zen, i grab titties of kung fu people to awaken them to truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal Canzonieri View Post
    You can discuss discrepancies and so on in people's posts without ripping them apart. So easy to do sitting behind a computer screen anonymously, but in person I'm sure you'd be very different, unless you're a total misanthrope without any friends.

dont worry, when the minorities become the majority (and it wont be long) then you will see more non white lead roles. Its all about the $$$, its not personal.

It has been happening since the birth of Hollywood so nothing new!
    I am sure it ian't personal but it beez like dat. It's the money! It seems that the white guy playing the "minority" fellow always get higher rewards and benefits than the actually minority would have gotten if he acted the part.

If a real Asian was playing Charley Chan would he have been so magnificent!
    If the character of Robert Downey playing the 'black soldier' in that movie (don't recall the name') would the movie have been so celebrated!

It's just business!

Quote Originally Posted by mawali View Post
    It has been happening since the birth of Hollywood so nothing new!
    If a real Asian was playing Charley Chan would he have been so magnificent!
    If the character of Robert Downey playing the 'black soldier' in that movie (don't recall the name') would the movie have been so celebrated!

It's just business!
    The Robert Downey role of a few years ago isn't even in the same category. A far more accurate comparison would be Al Jolson.

So are you saying that white actors are better at playing non-whites than non-whites can play themselves? Now is not the 1920s, 30s, 40s, etc. Our knowledge, awareness and views of other people are supposed to have evolved since then, but in many ways they haven't come very far at all.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 06-29-2013 at 12:51 PM.

I am saying just the opposite. The white actor playing the minorities always seem to get the awards for the role they played and they are always lauded for their superb acting! As to why it is as it is, only the Academy Awards know and they eat it up!
    I could not make this up if I tried

Kwai Chang Caine was the best Asian display that one could imagine, don't ya think based on the magnanimous approval from all involved. Robert Downey was said to be playing in 'blackface' but what about Kwai Chang.. and Warner Oland? Just saying

Quote Originally Posted by mawali View Post
    I am saying just the opposite. The white actor playing the minorities always seem to get the awards for the role they played and they are always lauded for their superb acting! As to why it is as it is, only the Academy Awards know and they eat it up!
    I could not make this up if I tried

Kwai Chang Caine was the best Asian display that one could imagine, don't ya think based on the magnanimous approval from all involved. Robert Downey was said to be playing in 'blackface' but what about Kwai Chang.. and Warner Oland? Just saying
    You're thinking of Tropic Thunder, and that movie was poking fun at the white washing going on in Hollywood. What better way to make fun of Hollywood's racism than lampoon it by taking it further into the shady racist history than having a white actor play a white actor who is shamelessly doing a role in blackface?

this was actually done right if u think about it, my chocolate brother.

-white guy is not in yellow face, even has blond hair, this is done on purpose
    - avoid Asian bad guy stereotype

if u wanna see some real fuked up sh1t, remember the last airbender?

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Greetings,

Just don't let things get to this point: (in 6 parts)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUDDP...9gB17lAqxTYSr9

mickey

We will know Hollywood racism is dead when they are willing to cast a REAL Cimmerian as Conan and a REAL Vulcan as Spock!

I just copied a bunch of whitewashing posts into this thread

I forgot this was here. This has been a hot button topic of late, so it has come up in several other film threads.

'Flower vases' is a great term.

Hollywood Under Pressure to Put More Chinese Actors in the Spotlight
    Chinese audiences cheer homegrown performers who secure meaningful roles; cameos tend to fall flat as ‘flower vases’

Using Chinese actors in films is Hollywood’s plan to appeal to audiences in China; however, it doesn't always have the expected results. Chinese moviegoers have a derogatory term to describe actresses who serve as little more than props in Western films: “flower vases.”
    By ERICH SCHWARTZEL
    Sept. 19, 2016 12:59 p.m. ET

LOS ANGELES—Earlier this summer, the producers of a coming “Jumanji” remake put out a call to talent agencies: They wanted a Chinese actor in their movie.

Male or female? It didn’t matter. And what was the role, exactly? That wasn’t clear, either.

“They want to have a Chinese component. They don’t necessarily know what it is,” said one talent agent.

It was yet another example of a new Hollywood ritual—finding Chinese actors to cast in U.S. films to try to appeal to audiences in China, which is on track to become the world’s largest box office in the next couple of years.

The tactic has yielded mixed results.

Chinese audiences cheer homegrown actors who secure meaningful roles in Hollywood blockbusters, such as Shanghai-born actress and pop singer Angelababy did when she played a fighter pilot in “Independence Day: Resurgence” this summer. But quick cameos that come across as a ploy to win Chinese fans tend to fall flat.

‘If you’re famous in America, you’re famous all over the world. If you’re famous in China, you’re only famous in China.’
    —Darren Boghosian, an agent at United Talent Agency
    When Chinese superstar Fan Bingbing starred in 2014’s “X-Men: Days of Future Past,” she had one line: “Time’s up.”

Beijing Daily, a state-run local newspaper, said in a 2014 article that her earlier cameo in the Chinese version of “Iron Man 3” was “quite embarrassing.” Though her part in “X-Men” was more significant, it still “triggered controversy after it is released here.”

“X-Men” studio Twentieth Century Fox declined to comment.

Chinese moviegoers even have a term to describe actresses who serve as little more than props in Western films: “flower vases.”

“That’s where people have struggled a bit—not acting like the person is product placement, like the way you would find a beer can in a movie,” said Rob Moore, vice chairman at Viacom Inc.’s Paramount Pictures.

China is the world’s second-largest movie market, with $5 billion worth of tickets sold so far this year, according to EntGroup Inc., compared with $8.1 billion in the U.S. After years of strong growth, ticket sales in China have stalled this year, though it is still expected to overtake the U.S. in the next few years.

So far this year, nearly 57% of China’s total box-office receipts were from Chinese films. But ticket sales for the first half of 2016 show a trend that has Hollywood worried: Imported movies accounted for 46.9% of ticket sales for those six months, compared with last year’s 53.5%. More Chinese movies are driving Chinese consumers to the multiplex, ratcheting up the need for Hollywood to find new ways to get them into seats.

Tina Yu, a Beijing-based consultant, said she wouldn’t watch a film just because it featured a Chinese actor. “Most of these Chinese stars, especially actresses, simply feature in a film as a ‘flower vase’ or just as a bystander,” she said. “For me, I watch a film for its story.”

Lions Gate Entertainment, which produced ‘Now You See Me 2,’ began having conversations about finding a role for Jay Chou, a singer popular in China, in the movie before the script was developed. PHOTO: SUMMIT ENTERTAINMENT/EVERETT COLLECTION

Several forthcoming titles such as “God Particle” and the next Star Wars film, “Rogue One,” feature actors who are relatively unknown to Western audiences but command massive fan bases in China.

For the actors, securing the right role in a Hollywood film “opens the door to fame in the Western world,” said Darren Boghosian, an agent at United Talent Agency who represents Chinese stars including Angelababy and Li Bingbing, who had a small role in “Transformers: Age of Extinction” and took English classes to become more appealing to U.S. casting directors.

“If you’re famous in America, you’re famous all over the world. If you’re famous in China, you’re only famous in China,” said Mr. Boghosian. UTA and other major Hollywood talent agencies have built China divisions to represent local talent.

Lions Gate Entertainment Corp., which produced “Now You See Me 2,” began having conversations about finding a role for Jay Chou, a singer popular in China, in the movie before the script was developed. Qiu Jie, chief executive of Beijing-based Leomus Pictures International, released the movie in mainland China and suggested Mr. Chou to the studio.

“We emphasized that the added Chinese actor in this film should be meaningful and proper,” said Mr. Qiu. “We understand that a Chinese character will not be a lead role in the film. But if you can at least do that, the local audiences will not criticize it.”

The original “Now You See Me” grossed $23 million in China when it was released in 2013; the sequel collected $97 million, making it Lions Gate’s highest-grossing movie in the market.

Executives say the roles must naturally fit into the plot or else audiences in every country become disillusioned. Angelababy fends off aliens as part of a global-fighter brigade in “Independence Day.” Mr. Chou’s character in “Now You See Me 2” runs a magic shop that the main characters visit in Macau.

“If you can work it into the story line organically, it makes the movie bigger and more global,” said Lora Kennedy, executive vice president of casting at Time Warner Inc.’s Warner Bros., which is releasing “Kong: Skull Island” with Chinese actress Jing Tian next year.

Chinese stars also can help Hollywood navigate China’s restrictive regulations.

U.S. studios face restrictions in how they can market their movies in China that scale back the frequency of traditional methods such as billboards and television commercials. One tactic taking hold: Hiring Chinese pop stars with large social-media followings to record theme songs to the movies that play on local radio and serve as de facto advertisements.

“It gives you another way in,” said Mr. Moore at Paramount, which released “Transformers.”

The theme song for “Now You See Me 2,” sung by the film’s Mr. Chou, had a chorus that called out the film: “Now you see me ‘cause I let it be / Wanna find the key you gotta follow my beat.”

—Lilian Lin in Beijing contributed to this article.

Write to Erich Schwartzel at erich.schwartzel@wsj.com
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart