Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: yellow face/white washing.

Talk about whitewashing...

An Asian MIT student asked AI to turn an image of her into a professional headshot. It made her white, with lighter skin and blue eyes.
    Sawdah Bhaimiya

Rona Wang tried to use Playground AI to created a professional LinkedIn photo. Courtesy of Rona Wang

An Asian MIT student was shocked when an AI tool turned her white for a professional headshot.

Rona Wang said she had been put off using AI-image tools because they didn't create usable results.

A recent study found that some AI image generators had issues with gender and racial bias.

An MIT graduate was caught by surprise when she prompted an artificial intelligence image generator to create a professional headshot for her LinkedIn profile, and it instead changed her race.

Rona Wang — a 24-year-old Asian American student who studied math and computer science, is completing a graduate program at MIT in the fall, and whose identity was verified by Insider — had been experimenting with the AI-image creator Playground AI. The Boston Globe was the first to report on the news.

Wang tweeted images of the results on July 14, saying: "Was trying to get a linkedin profile photo with AI editing & this is what it gave me."

In the first image, Wang appears to be wearing a red MIT sweatshirt that she uploaded into the image generator with the prompt: "Give the girl from the original photo a professional linkedin profile photo."

The second image showed that the AI tool had altered her features to appear more Caucasian, with lighter skin and blue eyes.

"My initial reaction upon seeing the result was amusement," Wang told Insider. "However, I'm glad to see that this has catalyzed a larger conversation around AI bias and who is or isn't included in this new wave of technology."

She added that "racial bias is a recurring issue in AI tools" and that the results had put her off them. "I haven't gotten any usable results from AI photo generators or editors yet, so I'll have to go without a new LinkedIn profile photo for now!"

Wang told The Globe that she was worried about the consequences in a more serious situation, like if a company used AI to select the most "professional" candidate for the job and it picked white-looking people.

"I definitely think it's a problem," Wang said. "I hope people who are making software are aware of these biases and thinking about ways to mitigate them."

Suhail Doshi, the founder of Playground AI, responded to Wang's post: "The models aren't instructable like that so it'll pick any generic thing based on the prompt. Unfortunately, they're not smart enough."

He added, "Fwiw, we're quite displeased with this and hope to solve it."

A recent study by researchers from the AI firm Hugging Face found that AI image generators like DALL-E2 had an issue with gender and racial bias.

The study found that 97% of the images DALL-E2 produced when prompted to generate images of positions of power like "director" or "CEO" were of white men.

The researchers said this was because the AI tool was trained on biased data that could amplify stereotypes.

Playground AI and its founder didn't immediately respond to a request comment.
    I kinda wanna do this just to see what AI thinks I'd look like if I were a white dude.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

I don’t like this whole AI thing. It’s creepy, IMO.

Interestingly, I’ve had several people over the years who assumed I’m mixed race. Or something other than what I am (Japanese ancestry). I’ve had people assume I must have some Italian or Portuguese mix in me, which I do not. It’s definitely the Jomon (Japanese aboriginal) admixture in my genes. My dad’s side of the family had heavy “Jomon” characteristics (i.e., did not look like what most people stereotypically think Japanese people look like). Come to think of it, my mom didn’t have the stereotypical look, either.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 08-08-2023 at 12:20 PM.

whitewashing?

'3 Body Problem' cast addresses whitewashing criticism from fans of the original Chinese novels
    The new Netflix series changes the setting from China to England, with flashbacks to the Chinese Cultural Revolution.

From left, Eiza González, Jess Hong, and Benedict Wong in "3 Body Problem".Ed Miller / Netflix

March 25, 2024, 6:05 AM PDT
    By Tony Lee
    Amid early criticism and fears of whitewashing, the cast of the highly anticipated sci-fi series “3 Body Problem” says it does justice to the original Chinese novels.

The Netflix series, developed by writer Alexander Woo and “Game of Thrones” creators David Benioff and Dan Weiss, follows a group of London-based scientists and authorities who band together to fight a seemingly ​​all-powerful extraterrestrial threat after a slew of suicides alarms the scientific community.

When the Netflix series was announced, many fans voiced concerns that the novels would be culturally and thematically diluted in the adaptation.

Based on Liu Cixin’s acclaimed “Remembrance of Earth’s Past” trilogy, the eight-episode show is a departure from the source novels, which set the time-spanning story in China beginning during the Cultural Revolution of the 1960s, a time of violent upheaval.

On Reddit, one user noted that separating the setting from the cultural context seemed “unnecessary and flagrant.” Another commented they had doubts about the adaptation being led by non-Asian creators who were “rightfully criticized for their treatment of both women and [people of color]” on “Game of Thrones.”

But actor Benedict Wong, who plays Detective Da Shi in the Netflix adaptation, told NBC News the creators got the go-ahead from the author.

“Cixin gave Dan, Dave and Alex the blessing to move this story into a global story,” Wong said. “My character’s from Manchester, Jess Hong’s [is] from New Zealand, and we have Ye Wenjie [played by] Rosalind Chao and Zine Tseng, just to kind of show how global we all are telling this world story.”

Yu Guming, left, and Zine Tseng in "3 Body Problem". Maria Heras / Netflix
    The series, like the book, starts from the point of view of astrophysicist Ye Wenjie, who witnesses her father’s murder by the Red Guards during the Cultural Revolution. The incident gives rise to her disdain for humanity and her subsequent decision to invite an alien civilization to conquer Earth.

Hong, who plays physicist Jin Cheng, said the show leaves the beginning intact while the changes broaden the story’s focus.

“Everything in the books that was referencing the Cultural Revolution has been essentially untouched,” Hong said. “But the rest of it is a way to globalize a story that was very heavily Eastern-focused into a Western perspective, a global perspective. Because we’re all from different countries, for the actors, you get to pull in all of these different storylines into one emotional core, which I think is quite brilliant.”

Chao, who portrays the older version of Ye, says the show doesn’t shy away from the lingering trauma of the Cultural Revolution.

“The seed is still that time period. It’s a period of trauma, emptying out of all hope, and great division. I do think they honored it,” Chao said. “My parents are immigrants. I’ve heard about it since growing up. And somehow the way they imparted that in this series made it more, you know, I could understand the trauma.”

Tseng, who plays the younger Ye, recalled remarks from the series’ Hong Kong director Derek Tsang, who “gathered every single one of us, saying, ‘It would be so great if we can do this and bring the honesty to the audience, to the story.’”

Tony Lee
    Tony Lee is a producer for Stay Tuned and NBC News.
    The-Three-Body-Problem
    yellow-face-white-washing
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart