Indeed a great loss.

May he RIP.

Sad News from Hong Kong: Grand Master Lau Kar-Leung has Passed Away

http://practicalhungkyun.com/2013/06...s-passed-away/

PM

Practical Hung Kyun 實用洪拳

www.practicalhungkyun.com

RIP to a LEGEND

i woke up this morning to some bad news. according to sifu mark houghton, his top student. Lau ka leung has passed away. rest in peace to this titan of kung fu cinema his like will never be seen again.

Such a loss to the wulin

I'm sorry I never got the chance to meet him.

Hong Kong Director and Martial Arts Master Lau Kar-leung Dies at 76
    3:15 AM PDT 6/25/2013 by Karen Chu

Lau Kar-leung, 1936-2013.
    The director of landmark Kung Fu films "The 36th Chamber of Shaolin," starring "Kill Bill"’s Gordon Liu, and "Drunken Master II" with Jackie Chan passed away after a two-decade battle with cancer.

HONG KONG – Martial artist, action choreographer and film director Lau Kar-leung died on Tuesday morning following a two-decade battle with cancer. He was 76.

Lau, a fourth-generation direct disciple of martial arts legend Wong Fei-Hung and a lifelong practitioner of the Hung Kuen discipline, was most famous for his directorial efforts The 36th Chamber of Shaolin (1978), starring Kill Bill’s Gordon Liu, and Drunken Master II with Jackie Chan, which also won him the Best Action Choreography Award at the Hong Kong Film Awards in 1994.

Lau began his career in film in 1950 as an extra and stuntman in the popular Wong Fei-Hung movies. He then joined Shaw Brothers Studio in the 1960s, forming Lau’s Stunt Team, and became one of the studio’s principal action choreographers. He was particularly renowned for his collaboration with director Chang Cheh during that time on films such as The One-Armed Swordsman (1967) and The Boxer From Shantung (1972).

In 1975, Lau made his directorial debut, The Spiritual Boxer, for Shaw Brothers. He was the first action choreographer to have transitioned to directing. The film proved a hit and was the seventh-highest-grossing movie of the year in Hong Kong.

Lau’s directing work was characterized by a strict adherence to the principles of martial arts. He continued his work as action choreographer and director until 1994, when he made Drunken Master II and III and was diagnosed with lymphoma. He survived the disease and made a directorial comeback in 2003 with Drunken Monkey, which he starred in along with his martial arts protégé Liu. In 2007, at the age of 70, he served as action choreographer and in a supporting role in Tsui Hark’s Seven Swords.

Lau was awarded the Lifetime Achievement Award at the Hong Kong Film Awards in 2010 for his contribution to the martial arts film genre.

He is survived by his wife, former actress and solicitor Mary Jean Reimer, and their two daughters.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Gosh, what a loss,

When I went to Chinatown to see the fighting movies, I made it my business to see anything choreographed by him. His presence was a guarantee that I was going to have an enjoyable viewing experience. The only close American equivalent would be the Good Housekeeping Seal of Approval.

I usually extend condolences, but I feel like I just lost family. Nevertheless, I extend condolences to all who loved him.

I am going to miss that guy.

All Thumbs up to The Pops,

mickey
    Last edited by mickey; 06-25-2013 at 10:35 AM.

Blog Entries
    The Greatest of inspirations...God Bless and RIP!
    http://cykwoon.freewebspace.com/
    https://www.youtube.com/user/Subitai

"O"..."Some people believe that you need to make another human being tap out to be a valid art. But I am constantly reminding them that I only have to defend myself and keep you from hurting me in order to Win."
    "O"..."The Hung Style practiced solely in methods of Antiquity would ultimately only be useful versus Similar skill sets"

"Legendary Weapons of China", and "Operation Scorpio" were two of his movies that stood out to me the most, Legendary Weapons of China particularly.
    When I first started kung fu, these movies were really inspirational to me. After practice, I would go into my backyard in the evenings or at night and practice more with images from those movies in my head. My Sifu knew him, but I never asked too much about it.
    I think a lot of us won't forget Lau kar Leung. It's a great loss for our life, but a great gain for the next one.

May he Rest In Peace

Rest In Peace Lau Sifu.

If it wasn't for this man and his films I probably wouldn't know much about Gung Fu or the Hung Style specifically. His films not only displayed real Hung techniques but also Hung Gar virtues.

He's left an undeniable blueprint for future generations.

He will be missed by many and wish his family and students the best.

Tiger & Crane Salute to "Pops".

I was lucky enough to meet him back in 2005... he was exactly like he was in the movies..all gung fu, even at dinner table what a great gung fu man and what a great loss ! R.I.P

a little dedication I put together
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Em3nj5Dhdes

Lau Sifu's work shaped and refined what the modern Kung fu film ultimately became at the height of the genre, and he was the undisputed king.

There's not much I can say that hasn't already been said, except that Lau Sifu's work was a big inspiration to me in both my formative and adult years. His films defined an entire period of my life. I never got to meet him, so as much as he and his work meant to me and to all of his fans worldwide, I know that he was so much more to those who were close to him.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 06-26-2013 at 09:16 AM.

heres a rare documentary about Lau Sifu from 1991
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yf6nmPfPLkI