Thread: The books of Barry Hughart

The books of Barry Hughart

In my quest to uncover anybody else writing English martial arts / Chinese-style fantasy I came across Barry Hughart.

A moderately obscure American novelist he wrote three books between 1986 and 1990. The first won the 1985 World Fantasy Award for Best Novel and the 1986 Mythopoetic Award for best fantasy novel.

Then he stopped writing - the reasons why cited include a feeling like he wasn't covering new ground, disputes with the marketing of his book or simple lack of audience. (Fantasy detective stories set in a mythic variation of China and satirizing Chinese political and philosophical issues using a cast of dissolute n'er-do-wells and narrated by an honest peasant are a hard sell.)

The guy's virtually a recluse and he's one of the greatest geniuses of modern Fantasy. Anyone else read him? If so thoughts? If not get thee to a bookstore!
    Last edited by SimonM; 06-25-2013 at 07:20 AM.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

51 views and no replies suggests I may be among the few to read this AMAZING author. (Now devouring a second of his books).

I'm providing an amazon.com link to his material. I highly recommend this for wuxia enthusiasts.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.