Thread: Is anyone else paying attention to the YMAA Retreat Center program?

Threaded View

I believe that following one's dreams is a good thing. However, IMO 100K for a 10-year KF course is a LOT much. If the disciples who come into it are rich, or trust-fund kids from rich families who want to follow their KF dream, that's reasonable. But if one is looking to make a career out of promoting KF, it's a hard sell. If one pays and studies to become (for example) a doctor and stays with the course, there's a very reasonable likelihood that he/she will get a job and get a return on their investment. But IMO it would be very hard to get a return on one's investment of spending 5 or 10 years in a secluded, monastic KF program, even one as extensive as this one reputedly is supposed to be. It's not as if the general public is clamoring to learn traditional KF. So if one's goal is to become a big-time KF teacher/promoter, I wish them luck, but it's going to be hard, IMO. Most places I'm aware of are MMA territory (including BJJ, MT, etc.). Now it seems that almost everybody and his/her grandmother wants to be/thinks of him/herself as a professional 'cage fighter'. The non-MMA that still seems in demand is Krav Maga. Most 'traditional' MA schools like karate now (seem to) cater almost exclusively to the kiddie crowd. Traditional KF is a tough sell and at the bottom of the list.

After over 4 decades in MA, I haven't spent even a fraction of 100K.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 01-06-2018 at 11:33 AM.