Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Is anyone else paying attention to the YMAA Retreat Center program?

Greetings,

Overtraining IS improper training. It is no myth. I did it. Dancers do it. Maybe you have never done it.

Good Gosh! You are so anal.

mickey

how the hell do u overtrain in kung fu

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    how the hell do u overtrain in kung fu

Answer: By being a kung fu fanatic

Not my words:

Overtraining can be described as a point where a person may have a decrease in performance and plateauing as a result from failure to consistently perform at a certain level or training load exceeds their recovery capacity. They cease making progress, and can even begin to lose strength and fitness.

mickey

Pushing the envelope (Laws of Bio-mechanics) is the best way to over-train and learn about recovery time.

When the subject of overtraining comes up, I think of those who do lots of hard labor for a living. Lots of dock workers, farmers, iron workers, movers, or some in construction, etc., who do many of the same general activities virtually every day, and are often freaky strong because of it. Often with practical strength that would surprise many non-laborers who only strength train in a gym. They don't have the option of resting on alternate days.

Obviously, if you're talking about specialized weight training regimens, then of course, you shouldn't train the same muscles the same way every day.

In terms of MA, over the years I discovered that while plenty of training is important, I'd rather train smarter as opposed to in extremely large quantities, especially as you get older. Before I had many adult responsibilities, I did the quantity thing. "If a lot is good, then more is better" mindset. When you do that, you also hit the ceiling more often, where you lose enthusiasm for training. Good indications you need a break and a reset to your routine.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 02-22-2016 at 01:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mickey View Post
    Greetings,

Overtraining IS improper training. It is no myth. I did it. Dancers do it. Maybe you have never done it.

Good Gosh! You are so anal.

mickey
    I've trained improperly.
    Sorry If I rankled your day.
    I was simply pointing out the fallacy of the idea of over training.
    It's about as common as people that really do need gluten free diets.

It's old thinking that has been shown to be incorrect.
    Like many things we find in fitness or training or martial arts nowadays.
    There is more knowledge now and a whole lot less of it is anecdotal.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    When the subject of overtraining comes up, I think of those who do lots of hard labor for a living. Lots of dock workers, farmers, iron workers, movers, or some in construction, etc., who do many of the same general activities virtually every day, and are often freaky strong because of it. Often with practical strength that would surprise many non-laborers who only strength train in a gym. They don't have the option of resting on alternate days.

This.

Every martial arts student should have to step out onto the mat with an untrained opponent who has been working as a mover for a year.

Instant reality check.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RD'S Alias - 1A

I have easily beaten every one I have ever fought.....

Almost a decade already

Dr. Yang was at KFTC25 AF and invited me to the 10 year graduation next year since I was there for the initial baisee. I hope it works out in my schedule.

Open Letter from Dr. Yang
    June 1, 2017

Dr. Yang, Jwing-Ming

Dear Friends and Supporters:

Time passes so quickly. It has already been eight and a half years since I moved here. The 10-Year, 9-Year, and 5-Year program students will complete their training in June of 2018. Upon graduation, they will continue to develop their teaching careers and futures.

In 2005, I saw a rare opportunity to make the center a reality and knew I had to give it my best shot. Although I knew that it would be a big burden for me to dedicate so much of my time, energy, and savings to a project so far away and so new, I decided to still pursue it. It was an exciting time of trying to make my dream a reality. However, I greatly underestimated the difficulties of training in Western societies, today’s modern lifestyles, and unforeseen challenges. Contrary to my original vision, the environment and training schedule could not be the same as in ancient times. We had to constantly adapt and adjust to keep searching for the right balance of training, work, and rest.

Although some of their achievements have fallen short of what I had originally envisioned, the core group of students are not without positive results. They have worked together to analyze the material, improve their teaching skills, and encourage each other to grow as students and as people. This center has been one of very few of its kind. I hope the experiences, hardships, and lessons that we endured can help other similar programs and centers develop in a stronger way in the future.

I will continue to offer seminars at the Retreat Center through the summer of 2018. The center will remain open until the 3-Year Program concludes in June 2019. At that point, it will most likely close and the property will be sold.

Truthfully, I don’t want to see the center close. I spent 10 years searching for this location. It is an exceptional place with amazing Fengshui. My life’s work has been dedicated to preserving and passing down traditional martial arts and Qigong knowledge through books, media, and classes. The full time training program has been a dream of mine for many years, and I was hoping to materialize and embody as much of that knowledge as possible in the students of the center.

The bulk of the center’s annual expenses are in facilities maintenance, taxes, and insurance. The majority has been funded by my life savings and seminar income, followed by tuition from students and donations from outside sponsors. If we acquire enough funds to keep the center functioning, I will be able to offer seminars at this location beyond 2019. However, I cannot bear this burden alone, especially since I will soon be too old to travel and teach. With the right staff and support, we might be able to keep the center open for a few more years.

I would like to thank all of those who have supported the center in the last eight and a half years. They have touched all of us here deeply. Without them, we would not have been able to accomplish so much and offer such unique training experiences to our many visitors. We are extremely grateful to all of you.

As I will be turning 73 when the last full-time program completes in 2019, I believe that I should be thinking once again about my retirement. I will keep working and teaching, but I cannot travel and teach like a young man anymore. Whatever I do and wherever I will be, I hope to still see and hear from you.

Sincerely,
    Dr. Yang, Jwing-Ming
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Although some of their achievements have fallen short of what I had originally envisioned, the core group of students are not without positive results.
    Ouch. I think Yang Jwing Ming set his sights too young. Most kids that age don't know what commitment is or even what they want out of life. I've been doing Kung Fu for 25 years, but I don't think I really committed to what it was asking of me until my late 20s-early 30s.

KFTC Day 2017: YMAA

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

The crazy thing to me is that after all this time, they still look like they're just going through the motions. Where is the fire? Where is their sense of enemy while performing? I dunno maybe it's just burn out, but their hearts just don't seem to be in it.

The spear vs sabre routine was pretty cool I thought. Don't know how much unfeigned intent you can put into jabbing a metal spear head at your training partner's face but they made it look pretty ok. In movies they'd edit it to look rawer.
    Last edited by rett2; 11-08-2017 at 04:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rett2 View Post
    The spear vs sabre routine was pretty cool I thought. Don't know how much unfeigned intent you can put into jabbing a metal spear head at your training partner's face but they made it look pretty ok. In movies they'd edit it to look rawer.
    I agree about the saber/spear set, I had stopped the video prior to that when I commented. As for the rest, it all just seems pretty rote given the amount of time they've spent training, but I also know they're learning music, hanzi, etc., not just kung fu.

Is this a joke? This is ten years of training?

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Our newest exclusive web article

If you ever dreamed of getting away from it all just to train, read Why the Mountain? by Dr. Robert J. Woodbine.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips