Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: Is anyone else paying attention to the YMAA Retreat Center program?

One of my students has gone to Shifu Yang's camp for short term summer qin-na seminars. He loves it! This summer will be his third year, I believe.
    Richard A. Tolson
    https://www.patreon.com/mantismastersacademy

There are two types of Chinese martial artists. Those who can fight and those who should be teaching dance or yoga!

53 years of training, 43 years of teaching and still aiming for perfection!

Recovering Forms Junkie! Even my twelve step program has four roads!

Winter 2019 meme

Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

As long as Dr. Yang is able to pass his whole knowledge down to (or divide it among) a few disciples who themselves will be teaching, he'll have easily reached his goal. That quote of his sounds identical to what Adam Hsu was saying back in the '80s.

CMA is a tough sell nowadays, but hopefully there will always be somebody who is willing and able to learn it. It won't ever happen on a grand scale, though. If it survives, it will do so in pockets.. Ironically, that might possibly keep the quality higher than mass dissemination would have.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 02-06-2019 at 10:39 AM.

Retreat to Surrender

Something must have gone wrong - I previously saw on his site he had new sponsorship and programs running til June 2023
    I think it's just unaffordable in California. Too bad for his dream

The YMAA CA Retreat Center Property is up for sale immediately for occupancy starting September of 2021

​The Center property encompasses a secluded 243-acres in the mountains of Northern California. The Center lies on a mountain peak in the center of a valley at an altitude of 1050-feet and is surrounded by mountain peaks that range from 1,650 to 2,400-feet in altitude. From a Chinese Feng-Shui point of view, this is a rare and ideal place for a meditation or retirement. North of the property, there is a creek (Salmon Creek) that forms the Yin Pole of the landscape, and on the South, it faces the mountains forming the Yang Pole. South-East of the property, there is an old volcano, Bear Butte. Though this volcano is not active, its energy continues to emerge and influence the entire valley where the Center is located. This all creates a strong energy vortex around the property with ideal conditions to trap energy in the valley where the Center sits.

During his 10 years of residence at the Retreat Center, Dr. Yang has produced a many popular DVDs such as Taijiquan for Beginners and written several books in this location including this popular book, Dao De Jing – Qigong Interpretation.

The Center is completely independent for water and energy resources. Water is provided year round by a well and spring water (16,500 gallons storage). The Center runs on solar energy (12kW grid) with two back-up generators on site. There are also 2 large organic gardens, a green house, and a chicken coop capable of holding 50 chickens.

Facilities at the center include: an indoor training gym, a 12 person sauna house with 2 showers, a meditation gazebo and a 100-yard shooting/archery range.

The property is ideal for someone looking to run a retreat center with minimal setup. It would also make a beautiful private home.

We invite you to visit the Center to see and experience its natural beauty and strong energy.

For more information and to arrange a visit, please contact Dr. Yang.
    dryang@ymaa.com

Phone: 707-502-8739
    California Dreaming, Not so much

40000 Pacific Coast Highway

"Will these $%$#'s ever stop. Is there anything they won't tax?"

It's not a good idea to start up in Kali, it's becoming Venezuela with the extremely rich and extremely poor and one million middle class per year leaving the State.. I think large parts have been sold to Mexico, China, Russian Mafia, Japan.
    Welcome to Paradise Comrades..
    Last edited by wolfen; 03-20-2019 at 08:49 PM.
    "顺其自然"

Quote Originally Posted by wolfen View Post
    "Will these $%$#'s ever stop. Is there anything they won't tax?"
    Californians... remember this when you flee the state. Don't bring this sh*t with you. People have a strange tendency to bring leftist Marxist bs whilst fleeing leftist Marxist bs.

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    Californians... remember this when you flee the state. Don't bring this sh*t with you. People have a strange tendency to bring leftist Marxist bs whilst fleeing leftist Marxist bs.
    I'm one of the very few Californians I know who are actually CA-born. The vast majority of people in CA moved here from other states (or countries). So the image of the CA Marxist is mostly people from elsewhere who brought it here. It's a real thing, BUT most I know who were born here and been here for generations are not like that and do not agree with it.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 03-18-2019 at 12:01 PM.

Likewise Jimbo

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    I'm one of the very few Californians I know who are actually CA-born.
    Cali born & bred. And lemme tell ya, after spending a few summers living with the Chicoms, Cali ain't commie, not yet at least. It's definitely expensive to live in the metropolitan areas like I do, but not nearly as bad elsewhere in the state. SoHum is a totally different place on so many levels.

I'm sad that Dr. Yang couldn't sustain the Retreat Center. I was there when it first opened and it was magnificent, a windy dirt road off the highway, close to the Avenue of Giants, a gorgeous forest of old growth redwoods.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    I'm sad that Dr. Yang couldn't sustain the Retreat Center. I was there when it first opened and it was magnificent, a windy dirt road off the highway, close to the Avenue of Giants, a gorgeous forest of old growth redwoods.
    I admire what he was / is doing for traditional martial arts. The retreat center is a neat concept.

It might work as a retreat center for people looking for short-term, immersive, specialized training... kind've like a Kung Fu Spa vacation.

Our latest exclusive interview on KungFuMagazine.com

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Dr. Yang, Jwing-Ming on the Changing Times and Enlightenment

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Gentlemen, there is not much information available from the YMAA Website. The Camp has closed down. From the first post of this thread, the curriculum looks over-loaded for most people. It will take university graduate student to complete such 10 years training program!?

Regards,

Steve Lau
    Hong Kong

The YMAA website is all of YMAA which extends beyond Dr. Yang

If you're looking on info about Dr. Yang specifically, visit his personal website: https://yangjwingming.com
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Michelle Lin & Quentin Lopes chat with Gene Ching about their new "Barehand vs Staff

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Not even university offers study program with length of 10 years.

Regards,

KC
    Hong Kong

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    As long as Dr. Yang is able to pass his whole knowledge down to (or divide it among) a few disciples who themselves will be teaching, he'll have easily reached his goal. That quote of his sounds identical to what Adam Hsu was saying back in the '80s.

CMA is a tough sell nowadays, but hopefully there will always be somebody who is willing and able to learn it. It won't ever happen on a grand scale, though. If it survives, it will do so in pockets.. Ironically, that might possibly keep the quality higher than mass dissemination would have.
    I saw an interview with David Ross where he said something to the effect that you have to "Trick" students into learning Kung Fu in order to pass it.

At first, the comment kind of angered me. However, after some reflection, I think he is right.

Its probably better to teach it as a modern Sanda/fighting sport FIRST, then slowly work your way backwards through time, gently guiding your students to the old traditional stuff.

They will appreciate the forms and Qigongs when they are older.
    Last edited by Royal Dragon Pi; 10-14-2023 at 01:45 PM.