Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Is anyone else paying attention to the YMAA Retreat Center program?

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    lol adult summer camp

do they sell adult diapers too
    For you, they just may!

But until they start handing out adult diapers, what do you suggest they do differently?

What should a teacher offer to their students who are dedicated? Come over to Sifu's house and train there?

Srsly bro.
    like that old japanese zen monk that grabs white woman student titties to awaken them to zen, i grab titties of kung fu people to awaken them to truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal Canzonieri View Post
    You can discuss discrepancies and so on in people's posts without ripping them apart. So easy to do sitting behind a computer screen anonymously, but in person I'm sure you'd be very different, unless you're a total misanthrope without any friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Kymus View Post
    For

What should a teacher offer to their students who are dedicated? Come over to Sifu's house and train there?
    why not

unless u got dead Nigerian prostitutes buried ther

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

why not

unless u got dead Nigerian prostitutes buried ther
    well for one, it's not as easy to set up training equipment unless Sifu's got a gigantic backyard.
    like that old japanese zen monk that grabs white woman student titties to awaken them to zen, i grab titties of kung fu people to awaken them to truth.
    You can discuss discrepancies and so on in people's posts without ripping them apart. So easy to do sitting behind a computer screen anonymously, but in person I'm sure you'd be very different, unless you're a total misanthrope without any friends.

well for one, it's not as easy to set up training equipment unless Sifu's got a gigantic backyard.
    u sound like u need NASA gadgets to train kung fu. a bag a pole and a squat rack. dun need big space

u sound like u need NASA gadgets to train kung fu. a bag a pole and a squat rack. dun need big space
    So you're saying that the equipment you saw in the video is completely worthless and will benefit students in no way?

Blog Entries
    The "weight pulley" will need a lot of space to set it up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bI3yB...ature=youtu.be
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    The "weight pulley" will need a lot of space to set it up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bI3yB...ature=youtu.be
    Or you could just do dumbbell rows which takes way less space, although it doesn't have that cool ancient Chinese training feel:

"If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Quote Originally Posted by IronFist View Post
    Or you could just do dumbbell rows which takes way less space, although it doesn't have that cool ancient Chinese training feel:
    traditional kung fu do dis wit stone lock

Blog Entries

It's the "quick pull and quick release - shaking" that can be developed by using the weight pulley. TCMA training equipments are not always used to develop muscle and strength. Some are used to develop a certain "function".

The pulling is one part of the training. The releasing is the other part of the training. With long rope, if you release it fast, you will create a wave form on your rope (this is why the rope has to be long). When the weight finally dropped, it will pull yor body forward unexpectedly. It's like someone pull you and shake you in wrestling. If you are used to that kind of body shaking, you will develop better natural resistence to against it. Without training partner, I have not found any other modern training equipment that can help me to develop this kind of "natural resistence" yet.

At 1.32, 4.38 of the following clip, the body shaking is used. It's one of the most important skill to use in jacket wrestling when your opponent is bigger and heavy than you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtPNDbBm-7E

The following modern pulley may be able to help you to develop the pulling. It cannot help you to develop the release because the rope is too short. That's why a large open back yard will be needed.

http://imageshack.us/a/img33/7906/weightpulley5.jpg
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 07-05-2013 at 05:39 AM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    At 1.32 of the following clip, the body shaking is used. It's one of the most important skill to use in jacket wrestling when your opponent is bigger and heavy than you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtPNDbBm-7E
    That was really cool! Personally, I'm all for open weight divisions. I think people should train to adapt, regardless of the opponent.

I've always liked resistance bands for this type of training.

You don't need a partner, you can use almost any immovable object.

If that rope pulley training were more effective than squats, deadlifts, pullups, etc., then professional fighters would be training that way.

It's more authentically Chinese, and it might be fun to pretend you're in a kung fu movie, but it's not really giving you any skills that a guy who can deadlift 300 pounds for reps won't have.

It might make you better at some technique that doesn't work on resisting opponents, however.

If that rope pulley training were more effective than squats, deadlifts, pullups, etc., then professional fighters would be training that way.

It's more authentically Chinese, and it might be fun to pretend you're in a kung fu movie, but it's not really giving you any skills that a guy who can deadlift 300 pounds for reps won't have.

It might make you better at some technique that doesn't work on resisting opponents, however.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqJlN29tBxY

The guy in the other vid wasn't doing battle ropes.

I've read mixed reviews about how effective they are, anyway.
    Last edited by IronFist; 07-05-2013 at 12:54 PM.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...unmfB8k#t=172s

Same basic principle. A downward pulling movement with an element of resistance against vibration/shock. The ropes allow for more of a cardio element than you might see with the weighted pulley/rope.