Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Is anyone else paying attention to the YMAA Retreat Center program?

Is anyone else paying attention to the YMAA Retreat Center program?

For those unaware, Dr. Yang Jwing-Ming started what essentially is a Kung Fu boot camp 5 years ago in northern California called the YMAA RC (Yang's Martial Arts Association Retreat Center).

It's pretty rad what Dr. Yang has done. He set up a 10-year program for students to become fully certified in Long Fist, Southern White Crane, and Yang style Taiji. The curriculum includes other things like Chinese language, guns, projectile weapons, horseback riding, Chinese history, business. Here's the full set-up.

The disciples (they become disciples of his at the beginning of the 10-year program) have to go through a crap ton of body conditioning. I think that makes up the bulk of what they do each day. They are tested each semester on fitness and things like finger/hand speed (for qinna). They also train 5 1/2 days a week

To help the RC make money to support itself, Dr. Yang had the disciples put out two DVD's on body conditioning and showed them how to edit it and everything.

All in all, I think it's an amazing program! Though it's not all sunshine and roses up there. Dr. Yang has invested a lot of hist own money in to the RC and says that if it can't support itself by the program's end (5 years from now) that he's shutting it down.

He did recently start a 5 year program and from what I understand, it's basically the same except a lot less body conditioning.

I think it's so awesome what Dr. Yang is doing and it'd be great if another master from the old-school set up something similar. Unlikely to happen, but it would be nice.

If I was perhaps 10 years younger and thought I would make a living off of Kung Fu, I'd totally sign up. But... that's not the case

Really, though, I hope that Dr. Yang's program is successful and he is able to keep the next generation's skill and knowledge on par with what we're used to seeing from the old-school.

edit: I forgot to mention that the disciples enrolled in the 10 year program will graduate with a legit Master's Degree in Martial Arts
    Last edited by Kymus; 06-28-2013 at 02:30 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    like that old japanese zen monk that grabs white woman student titties to awaken them to zen, i grab titties of kung fu people to awaken them to truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal Canzonieri View Post
    You can discuss discrepancies and so on in people's posts without ripping them apart. So easy to do sitting behind a computer screen anonymously, but in person I'm sure you'd be very different, unless you're a total misanthrope without any friends.

I was very interested until I saw the age restrictions. [/bonerdeflatesound]

Yeah, it's really meant for young people (18 - 25 I think), but I believe one of the guys that signed up for the 5-year program is in his low-30's

Eventually I'd like to go there for a visit for 2 weeks. It's not cheap (~$1000 I think + airfare) but it'll be a great learning experience.

Addendum: One guy is 31, another is 37!
    like that old japanese zen monk that grabs white woman student titties to awaken them to zen, i grab titties of kung fu people to awaken them to truth.
    You can discuss discrepancies and so on in people's posts without ripping them apart. So easy to do sitting behind a computer screen anonymously, but in person I'm sure you'd be very different, unless you're a total misanthrope without any friends.

Isn't there only half of the people left studying from the orginal group(10yr program). That is quite a commitment. I remember reading about it when it started.

I also like that they included firearms training. Let's face it, swords and spear are obsolete in street confrontations these days.
    Last edited by xcakid; 06-28-2013 at 01:00 PM.
    Master of Shaolin I-Ching Bu Ti, GunGoPow and I Hung Wei Lo styles.

I am seeking sparring partner. Any level. Looking for blondes or redhead. 5'2" to 5'9". Between 115-135 weight class. Females between 17-30 only need apply. Will extensively work on grappling.

It's a very interesting experiment. I want to see if there's a huge skill level difference between someone who's into a discipleship program such as this vs someone who's committed to a regular martial lifestyle that's also balanced with a real life.

Quote Originally Posted by xcakid View Post
    Isn't there only half of the people left studying from the orginal group(10yr program). That is quite a commitment. I remember reading about it when it started.

I also like that they included firearms training. Let's face it, swords and spear are obsolete in street confrontations these days.
    You know, I'm not sure. I read the two blogs that are available to completion and neither mention anything about anyone dropping out.

I'm curious how that sort of thing is handled. Do students pay up front? To quit after going through the discipleship ceremony is a big no-no .

Interestingly, the 5-year program cadets don't become disciples until graduation.

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    It's a very interesting experiment. I want to see if there's a huge skill level difference between someone who's into a discipleship program such as this vs someone who's committed to a regular martial lifestyle that's also balanced with a real life.
    I'm curious as well, B.

But notice how there are no courses in flaming or posting pictures on KFM? These kids aint got nothin' on you

Blog Entries
    During my high school year, I had used my summer time to train

- 6 days weekly, and
    - 6 hours daily.

After 3 months of such training, I could feel a big diference. In college, I also jointed in a longfist class with different teacher (GM Han Ching-Tan's son) but from the same teacher's teacher. That teacher's comment to me was, "You are a class A student. All my students here are only class B students". Apparently the summer time serious training does make big difference.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 06-28-2013 at 01:14 PM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

Quote Originally Posted by Kymus View Post

But notice how there are no courses in flaming or posting pictures on KFM? These kids aint got nothin' on you
    D@mn Straight! That shiite takes practice!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    During my high school year, I had used my summer time to train

- 6 days weekly, and
    - 6 hours daily.

After 3 months of such training, I could feel a big diference. In college, I also jointed in a longfist class with different teacher (GM Han Ching-Tan's son) but from the same teacher's teacher. That teacher's comment to me was, "You are a class A student. All my students here are only class B students". Apparently the summer time serious training does make big difference.
    agreed.

wish that YMAA offering mini programs or mini retreat for a few weeks.

like summer camp and winter camp.

Most people will like that

since we all have school or job or real life, family and such.

Quote Originally Posted by SPJ View Post
    agreed.

wish that YMAA offering mini programs or mini retreat for a few weeks.

like summer camp and winter camp.

Most people will like that

since we all have school or job or real life, family and such.

In the future, they may. I know he has the disciples teach classes locally and they set up a Skype teaching program as well () but I think that's to help the place make money (and it gives them experience with teaching).

Like I had said, 2wks of training = ~$1000 (you could save some money if you decide on less comfortable sleeping options).

I know Dr. Yang's son recently signed up for the program (I am not sure if he's gonna be doing it for 5 years or 10).

I'm curious how Dr. Yang set up certain body conditioning goals. Really, the whole program must've been a challenge to set up.

I forgot to mention in my original post (I'll fix that in a min) that the 10 year program is accredited and the disciples will get a Master's degree in Martial Arts.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SPJ View Post
    we all have school or job or real life, family and such.
    A reporter asked Li Ao, "Do you have any regret in your life?" Li said, "My regret is I don't have enough girls in my life." The reporter then asked, "But you have more than 50 girls in your life include your movie star wife, famous singer, ...?" Li said, "If I didn't spend 15 years in prison for polictics reason, I would have more girls."

When Li was 72 years old, He told reporters that he stopped dating girls. Before that, his definition of girls had to meet the following categories:

- tall,
    - skinny,
    - white,
    - pretty,
    - young (any girl over 18 is too old for him).

I admire his love life big time. For those students that Dr. Yang has, their number of girls count in their life must be low.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 06-28-2013 at 02:44 PM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    I admire his love life big time. For those students that Dr. Yang has, their number of girls count in their life must be low.
    Yeah, I was thinking the same. If they're in a 10-year program and they're training 6 days a week, that's not exactly easy to juggle a relationship with.

We've discussed the center before

See this thread. Dr. Yang and several of his disciples came out for TCEC & KFTCD again this year. In fact, Jonathan Chang, one of the first disciples, was our poster boy for the 2013 TCKFMC. I was at the first disciple ceremony and I know several of those guys. They are developing some serious skills.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Yeah, Michele mentioned a few things from your book......... so when is it gonna be available in the Kindle store?

I'm glad to hear that they're developing nicely. We need people to lead the way and set a standard once the old generation is completely gone.