Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Is anyone else paying attention to the YMAA Retreat Center program?

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    you dont get it do you? you cant buy kung fu. you cant buy honor.
    Sifu's need food too.

the 1900's called. They said the 1800's check bounced and now you gotta pay money if you want to learn.

I've taught a handful of people for years in my backyard for free. I just liked to teach. But I also had no intention of doing Kung Fu as a sole career. A few dudes gave me money and I used it towards some equipment.

Multiply my skill by about 50 and you got the old skool dudes. Lots of them pay their bills with money from students. I've got no problem paying my Sifu.
    like that old japanese zen monk that grabs white woman student titties to awaken them to zen, i grab titties of kung fu people to awaken them to truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal Canzonieri View Post
    You can discuss discrepancies and so on in people's posts without ripping them apart. So easy to do sitting behind a computer screen anonymously, but in person I'm sure you'd be very different, unless you're a total misanthrope without any friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Kymus View Post
    Sifu's need food too.

the 1900's called. They said the 1800's check bounced and now you gotta pay money if you want to learn.

I've taught a handful of people for years in my backyard for free. I just liked to teach. But I also had no intention of doing Kung Fu as a sole career. A few dudes gave me money and I used it towards some equipment.

Multiply my skill by about 50 and you got the old skool dudes. Lots of them pay their bills with money from students. I've got no problem paying my Sifu.
    the 70s is over. the fad is long gone. you can never make successful business from kung fu again.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Thumbs down

the 70s is over. the fad is long gone. you can never make successful business from kung fu again.
    Stop pullin my titties
    like that old japanese zen monk that grabs white woman student titties to awaken them to zen, i grab titties of kung fu people to awaken them to truth.
    You can discuss discrepancies and so on in people's posts without ripping them apart. So easy to do sitting behind a computer screen anonymously, but in person I'm sure you'd be very different, unless you're a total misanthrope without any friends.

I can already balance a check book, ride a horse, speak and write English, made a 5/6 in analytical writing on the GRE, passed art appreciation in college, have a degree in biology (nature), can treat traumatic injuries better than he can, the military already taught me to shoot, sent me to leadership school, and made me an NCO. Do I get transfer credit?

Through what board is this program accredited through? That is more important than that it is accredited.

Might be fun. But here's the problem. Lock yourself up for 10 years training to fight in isolation with people learning to move exactly like you.

its about your own hard bitter labor, your own journey to be a stronger version of yourself. that's why paying 100k is useless. sure the sifu can tell you some poems and history, but you finish learning all that in less than a week. theres nothing for him to teach or show you, its all up to yourself. chan is about finding the profound in the simple.

u would expect them to become martial legends by now, but if u look at their 2012 movie they can barely make a heavy bag wobble. so I don't know if they got their moneys worth.
    Last edited by bawang; 06-28-2013 at 08:08 PM.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

but no kung fu is worth 100k. not even david ross.

I never thought I would see the day you would blaspheme like this....

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.
    We should not use "TCMA is more than combat" as excuse for not "evolving".

You can have Kung Fu in cooking, it really has nothing to do with fighting!

Blog Entries
    TCMA is priceless. it cannot be measured by money. The fun will be with you for the rest of your life.

I assume $100,000 is for 10 years. That's $10,000 a year and $833 a month. Where can you get for $833 a month that include room, board, and fun.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 06-28-2013 at 09:16 PM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

TCMA is priceless. it cannot be measured by money. The fun will be with you for the rest of your life.

I assume $100,000 is for 10 years. That's $10,000 a year and $833 a month. Where can you get for $833 a month that include room, board, and fun.
    Not disagreeing with you. But considering you really aren't working much through this 10 year period to bring in some income, the actual impact on overall state of wealth is more than the $833/month would indicate.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCo KungFu View Post
    Not disagreeing with you. But considering you really aren't working much through this 10 year period to bring in some income, the actual impact on overall state of wealth is more than the $833/month would indicate.
    true its the cost of the program plus the money you ARENT earning. as saving money is making money, not making money is losing money. so even if the program was free you would be losing money. Unless you barely make enough money to eat sleep and pay rent. Then its a hella bargain because kung fu lessons are also included. Sweet!

"If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Thanks Iron Fist!

Gene linked to your first thread, which had some interesting discussion.

I gotta figure out how to get on to the mailing list; I don't see a link on the website

Have you been reading the two blogs?

No, I didn't even know there were blogs.

What sort of social experiences are these students getting? Looking back at college, yeah I learned a lot, but the whole social aspect was probably the most important, and I don't mean partying.

Is it just 10 students living in a building somewhere? Do they interact with other, non-kung fu people? Do they go to social venues and get away from it all?
    Last edited by IronFist; 07-01-2013 at 10:19 PM.

The first vid on the first body conditioning page said not available in my country (USA)

The rest worked.

I question the use of snappy movements with wrist weights. Isn't that pretty much universally accepted as a bad idea? Of course I don't know the context of what is being shown in this clip, so it may be something that isn't a regular part of training.

Note that this is different from using the iron rings that slide around on your arms.
    Last edited by IronFist; 07-01-2013 at 10:32 PM.

Why does "current students" only have 3 students listed?

This goes back to my social interaction question.

This is from the application.