Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Is anyone else paying attention to the YMAA Retreat Center program?

Quote Originally Posted by IronFist View Post
    No, I didn't even know there were blogs.

What sort of social experiences are these students getting? Looking back at college, yeah I learned a lot, but the whole social aspect was probably the most important, and I don't mean partying.

Is it just 10 students living in a building somewhere? Do they interact with other, non-kung fu people? Do they go to social venues and get away from it all?
    They go grocery shopping and stuff. Dr. Yang sent them to town to network with local businesses to make a commercial for them (for free) as part of their video training (so they can make instructional videos, I guess). They teach classes up there to locals; I think it's just kids (well, I don't think that's a rule. I've just read about them teaching kids). Then sometimes people from other YMAA places will fly in and they'll all train together.

They're really not as isolated as people think.
    Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    like that old japanese zen monk that grabs white woman student titties to awaken them to zen, i grab titties of kung fu people to awaken them to truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal Canzonieri View Post
    You can discuss discrepancies and so on in people's posts without ripping them apart. So easy to do sitting behind a computer screen anonymously, but in person I'm sure you'd be very different, unless you're a total misanthrope without any friends.

Why does "current students" only have 3 students listed?
    I think the others must've dropped out. I know YMAA.com mentioned in another thread that one student had visa issues, another got real sick and missed a lot of classes or something, and another got in to a car accident and suffered spine and nerve damage. But I don't know who dropped and for what reason.
    like that old japanese zen monk that grabs white woman student titties to awaken them to zen, i grab titties of kung fu people to awaken them to truth.
    You can discuss discrepancies and so on in people's posts without ripping them apart. So easy to do sitting behind a computer screen anonymously, but in person I'm sure you'd be very different, unless you're a total misanthrope without any friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Kymus View Post
    They go grocery shopping and stuff. Dr. Yang sent them to town to network with local businesses to make a commercial for them (for free) as part of their video training (so they can make instructional videos, I guess). They teach classes up there to locals; I think it's just kids (well, I don't think that's a rule. I've just read about them teaching kids). Then sometimes people from other YMAA places will fly in and they'll all train together.

They're really not as isolated as people think.
    They should have an open-door sparring policy with the whole country...that would be interesting

This goes back to my social interaction question.

This is from the application.
    I'm pretty sure that's because they don't have a lot of time during the week for phone calls. I've never read anything about them being somehow discouraged from talking to anyone (you can reply to any of their blog posts, and they'll reply back). One of the disciples mentioned how there isn't a lot of free time to do things, and I assume that when there is free time, just just want to rest because they're probably tired and sore as he!!.

Here are their blogs:

A Rabbit and a Dog (written by John (10yr) and Michelle (5yr))
    http://ymaajam.blogspot.com/2013/06/...t-designs.html

Kung Fu Diary (written by Javier (10yr))
    http://kungfudiary.livejournal.com/20141.html
    Last edited by Kymus; 07-02-2013 at 07:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kymus View Post
    ...network with local businesses to make a commercial for them (for free) as part of their video training (so they can make instructional videos, I guess).
    I think it's cool that digital design and video production are part of the future of kung fu mastery. That means people like me and design Sifu have a jump on all you beyatches!

Maybe I'll start Adobe Creative Suite Fu as an extension to the traditional classes. It's very Jing Wu.

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    I think it's cool that digital design and video production are part of the future of kung fu mastery. That means people like me and design Sifu have a jump on all you beyatches!
    lol, Dr. Yang will find something else for you to do

One of the disciples can speak Chinese, so Dr. Yang is making him study the characters instead.

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post

Maybe I'll start Adobe Creative Suite Fu as an extension to the traditional classes. It's very Jing Wu.
    Not to burst your bubble, but adobe creative suite kind of removes any of the skill required to produce digital art.

Used to be a time when one did manual layup work and you actually had to be a trained artist and designer. Nowadays? nah, a year with CS and you can do anything you like with minimal hard skills to back it up. Weird... But truly, that's how it is.

Old days of photoshop, a drop shadow actually took a little effort to produce and you HAD to have an eye. Nowadays? Nah, pretty much any shmuck can bang out really good designs.

That's why I switched out of digital illustration and went back to painting old school. Less people are able to paint with oils and acrylics and so, that is worth more to me. What can I say.

anyway... just saying...
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    Not to burst your bubble, but adobe creative suite kind of removes any of the skill required to produce digital art.

Used to be a time when one did manual layup work and you actually had to be a trained artist and designer. Nowadays? nah, a year with CS and you can do anything you like with minimal hard skills to back it up. Weird... But truly, that's how it is.

Old days of photoshop, a drop shadow actually took a little effort to produce and you HAD to have an eye. Nowadays? Nah, pretty much any shmuck can bang out really good designs.

That's why I switched out of digital illustration and went back to painting old school. Less people are able to paint with oils and acrylics and so, that is worth more to me. What can I say.

anyway... just saying...
    its about face to face interaction. you can actually receive the spirit of the teacher.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Looks like ten year long after school program for kids? This is most definitely a fantasy camp nothing more.
    What, me worry?

He's selling a fantasy, and at the end of 5 or ten years what do they have? Are they all planning to be professional kung fu instructors? Well, good luck at that, because the industry is changing and if that IS the intention, he'd better be teaching them about BUSINESS, not caturing flies with chopsticks

Real TCMA people for the most part lived WITHIN society, those who did not were the "monks" or so poor they lived such a misearable life out in the boonies... like my sifu who was an orphan in a tiny monastery getting beaten half to death every day and barely eating enough to live.... wow, isn't that "glamorous"
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Umm wait. I have a question. Did he initially front the money for all the land and structures? Because if he didn't, he found a perfect way to use donation to build himself the perfect retirement home.

Even if he breaks even and the project fails, if all property and assets are under his name then he comes out golden.
    What, me worry?

Quote Originally Posted by mantis7 View Post
    Umm wait. I have a question. Did he initially front the money for all the land and structures? Because if he didn't, he found a perfect way to use donation to build himself the perfect retirement home.

Even if he breaks even and the project fails, if all property and assets are under his name then he comes out golden.
    I don't know any of the details, this is purely a guess

Dr Yang was HUGE in our community and in the industry, I am sure he made a LOT of money and ca afford to buy land and build facilities

I also think he is actually dedicated to this idea, I just think it is mis guided... I have had several experiences with Yang like this, he means well but isn't that connected to reality....

As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

no kung fu is worth 100k. not even david ross.

you know that puppy you wanted to X-mas? NO WAY NOW!

I need to build my own retreat center...

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    Are they all planning to be professional kung fu instructors? Well, good luck at that, because the industry is changing and if that IS the intention, he'd better be teaching them about BUSINESS, not caturing flies with chopsticks
    He actually is teaching them about business. And considering that Dr. Yang built one of the biggest TCMA empires in America single-handed, he has a lot to say about that aspect.

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    you know that puppy you wanted to X-mas? NO WAY NOW!
    Dude, get a shelter dog. Much cheaper and better karma.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart