Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Is anyone else paying attention to the YMAA Retreat Center program?

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    The true value of a project like this is measured only within oneself. If the student finds value, and continues to find value, that is all that really matters. If they are not concerned with the 'issues' people on this forum have brought up, that completely voids the argument as to whether their efforts are worthwhile or not.

As the saying goes; 'one mans trash is another mans treasure.'
    /thread

yep, that pretty much sums it up from my point of view.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Blog Entries
    We have to admit that TCMA lovers have to be "crazy". May be some people are "crazy" enough but others are not.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

Quote Originally Posted by Kymus View Post
    How do you come to this conclusion? The guys there train their @sses off 6 days a week and you compare this to an after-school program for kids? That makes no logical sense.
    so why they cant make the heavy bags move

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    The true value of a project like this is measured only within oneself. If the student finds value, and continues to find value, that is all that really matters. If they are not concerned with the 'issues' people on this forum have brought up, that completely voids the argument as to whether their efforts are worthwhile or not.

As the saying goes; 'one mans trash is another mans treasure.'

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

So no one knows if I get transfer credit?

Anyways,
    I have to agree with Ross, its fantasy. Why? Buddha didn't find his way sitting in a palace, he had to get out into the world to see the death of his people before he realized what the world was about. And then, he went among the people and taught.

The spirit of boxing isn't found in some isolated camp where people remove themselves from the world. Its found in inner city gyms with leaky pipes and bags that smell that wonderful mix of sweat stench and too much bleach.

These stories of people going into the woods, or the mountains or wherever and training in isolation for XXXX time, or meditating for XXXX days straight are just that, stories. Its a myth. It may be interesting but its folklore, nothing more.

If they enjoy it all, cool. But you can't forge a sword without fire. Trying to mold a "genuine" human "soul" in the absence of human distraction is a misplaced use of effort.

Its like these people that go off to live in the woods because they say its a more natural existence. I ask, what's the difference between a sky scraper and an ant mound? Nothing. Its two species both using materials to create an environment that betters existence for their species. Both are equally products of nature.

I bet he's got bigger guns than a wombat in a heliochopper
    like that old japanese zen monk that grabs white woman student titties to awaken them to zen, i grab titties of kung fu people to awaken them to truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal Canzonieri View Post
    You can discuss discrepancies and so on in people's posts without ripping them apart. So easy to do sitting behind a computer screen anonymously, but in person I'm sure you'd be very different, unless you're a total misanthrope without any friends.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCo KungFu View Post

The spirit of boxing isn't found in some isolated camp where people remove themselves from the world. Its found in inner city gyms with leaky pipes and bags that smell that wonderful mix of sweat stench and too much bleach.

These stories of people going into the woods, or the mountains or wherever and training in isolation for XXXX time, or meditating for XXXX days straight are just that, stories. Its a myth. It may be interesting but its folklore, nothing more.

Don't tell Muhammad Ali or Mas Oyama!

(I actually agree with you for the most part though)

I bet he's got bigger guns than a wombat in a heliochopper
    no, my son. he does not. that's whats so sad abut it. I don't even train srs
    Last edited by bawang; 07-02-2013 at 01:12 PM.

I learned everything I know about life from Bugs Bunny.

For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Blog Entries
    Just about 3 weeks ago, I took HW 101 from Pismo Beach all the way up to Crescent City, California. Did know I was that close to YMAA Retreat Center.

http://ymaa-retreatcenter.org/about/location
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 07-02-2013 at 01:56 PM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

Quote Originally Posted by SoCo KungFu View Post

My gym floods every time it rains, it's always damp and dirty. It isn't any more romantic than training in the woods getting ate to death by mosquitoes. Although I think you should do both, too many people have a real disconnect with nature..can't be healthy...

But you got to get out, the people I know who've lived in the woods for years tend to be a touch crazy, but I guess so are most the other folks I know...
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    We should not use "TCMA is more than combat" as excuse for not "evolving".

You can have Kung Fu in cooking, it really has nothing to do with fighting!

10 years of dedication of training in isolation.

Most of us can not afford that time wise.

Job, family and other persuits.

--

I thought this was cool

Hung Gar summer camp.

I wonder how this would work?

It's a lot harder for adults since we need our regular paycheck to cover for regular bills; especially rent, utilities, and phone service.
    like that old japanese zen monk that grabs white woman student titties to awaken them to zen, i grab titties of kung fu people to awaken them to truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal Canzonieri View Post
    You can discuss discrepancies and so on in people's posts without ripping them apart. So easy to do sitting behind a computer screen anonymously, but in person I'm sure you'd be very different, unless you're a total misanthrope without any friends.

Hung Gar summer camp.

I wonder how this would work?

It's a lot harder for adults since we need our regular paycheck to cover for regular bills; especially rent, utilities, and phone service.
    lol adult summer camp

do they sell adult diapers too