Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Is anyone else paying attention to the YMAA Retreat Center program?

back on topic - KFTCD demo from YMAA's disciples

Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Their form play is really good... but unless I missed it, I didn't see any demonstration of application? That's really the problem I have with CMA these days, preserving movement, not preserving the fighting tradition in any way
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

There's some sparring sets...

...but I don't think they are fielding any fighters that might enter the ring or the cage at this time.

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    ...but I don't think they are fielding any fighters that might enter the ring or the cage at this time.

thanks Gene, well, at least it is a real two man set, with some good content....

not everyone has to actually fight in a ring or cage, but learning martial arts, you should learn something martial
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

What system is that two-person empty hand form from?

Quote Originally Posted by Faux Newbie View Post
    What system is that two-person empty hand form from?
    it said it was from Taijiquan.
    Dr. Dale Dugas
    Hakka Mantis
    Integrated Eskrima
    Pukulan Cimande Pusaka Sanders

All for Use
    Nothing for Show

*be tighety whitey/banana trying to find his "roots"
    * pay 100k dollar to taiwan grad school dropout
    *perform limp forms infront of 5 confused pedestrians after 10 years of rigorous and methodical hardcore training
    THIS IS WHAT I WAS BORN DO TO

yang jwing ming needs to move on to training olympic athletes. he has power to nurture golden godlike champions at will. a living treasure like this can change the fate of the world forever. out of ten thousand, perhaps there is one like him. he needs to be contacted by DARPA, the supersoldier program needs him.
    Last edited by bawang; 07-13-2014 at 02:23 PM.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

KFTC Day 2015: Yang's Martial Arts Academy

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by IronFist View Post
    The guy in the other vid wasn't doing battle ropes.

I've read mixed reviews about how effective they are, anyway.
    I can see the type of power that battle ropes will train... designed to deliver the same kind of force that will knock somebody over... at least thats what it looks like.

other good exercises to work your core that don't use typical gym equipment- cart wheel-baroughs full of wood logs back and forth up an incline/ hill in the snow- leg muscles/ core. load it up and make sure you don't slip or fall.

shovel snow. shovel neighbor's snow. shovel snow again (X10)

lift up heavy rocks and carry them around to different places (above head, etc.). do squats with heavy rocks. throw heavy rocks as far as you can. kneeling stance- splitting heaven/ earth w/ a heavy rock. also the whole "throw and catch" conditioning w/ bricks.

split firewood with an axe/ maul. swing it correctly.

stack bales of hay. shovel horse poo. rake a garden bed with a hoe.

carry loads of wood/ tree limbs/ thorns on your back/ head (especially supported on head if you can) supported by arms. walk it a quarter mile to the town dump grounds. no dragging on the ground allowed. must be supported by head or back weight. repeat. make sure to challenge yourself w/ the weight load.

self-train yourself to run a marathon.

just some ideas from yard work, working on a horse farm/ exercise, etc.

also when i worked produce in grocery store- on feet all day- but, lifting potato/ onion box/ apple/ banana/ etc. not too heavy like construction but not light-weight either. also need a co-ordination/ "softness" when handling the product to hand-stack the product on display in an efficient/ time effective manner (do not bruise the fruit). can even do a nice "single whip" palm when taking banana/ (plucking the stem) etc. out of box and onto the display.

hah. i dunno. just making some of my work experience/ yard work fun. just goes to show what bawang is sort of saying, also.

i also recomend bicycling around to different places, like to the beach. works legs/ core also (especially on hills). years ago i actually did about half a dozen organized rides that were 100 miles each (and of course like running a marathon u must build up to do this). some were in the mountains, like in the white mountains of new hampshire.

there also used to be an old man in my town, the "can man." he would collect bottles and cans all day and walk himself a few towns over to the mega recycling center. he would carry several very large trash bags full of cans and bottles all day. that guy was strong, he lifted it all above his head.
    Last edited by MarathonTmatt; 06-09-2015 at 10:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    *be tighety whitey/banana trying to find his "roots"
    * pay 100k dollar to taiwan grad school dropout
    *perform limp forms infront of 5 confused pedestrians after 10 years of rigorous and methodical hardcore training
    THIS IS WHAT I WAS BORN DO TO

yang jwing ming needs to move on to training olympic athletes. he has power to nurture golden godlike champions at will. a living treasure like this can change the fate of the world forever. out of ten thousand, perhaps there is one like him. he needs to be contacted by DARPA, the supersoldier program needs him.
    Tell us what you really think.
    lol

no seriously, this is pretty funny in and of itself.
    But I don't want to encourage the bawang.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

ttt 4 2016!

Enter to win KungFuMagazine.com's contest for SAI: Fundamental Training DVD autographed by Nicolas C. Yang from KungFuMagazine.com! Contest ends 5:30 p.m. PST on 2/18/2016.

Nicolas is more than a disciple of Dr. Yang. He is his son.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

i cant understand how after 4 years of rigorous training this guy has the muscularity of a black woman who goes to planet fitness once a week. and hes performing the form like i did when i was 14 year old. looking at yang babas new buddha belly it looks like he has been putting his students tuition to good use.
    Last edited by bawang; 02-07-2016 at 12:27 AM.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Greetings,

bawang,

They might be overtraining or there may be a change of emphasis in the curriculum. I had the chance to see some footage of Yang Sifu's students back in the 80's. They had good strong builds. It seemed that the Shaolin Long fist curriculum had emphasis at that time.

I remember when the late Donn F. Draeger wrote about the importance of rest in strengthening the body. I did not believe him for a moment. I am lucky to be still alive given the way I trained back then. It was maniacal.

mickey

Our winners are announced

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by mickey View Post
    Greetings,

bawang,

They might be overtraining or there may be a change of emphasis in the curriculum. I had the chance to see some footage of Yang Sifu's students back in the 80's. They had good strong builds. It seemed that the Shaolin Long fist curriculum had emphasis at that time.

I remember when the late Donn F. Draeger wrote about the importance of rest in strengthening the body. I did not believe him for a moment. I am lucky to be still alive given the way I trained back then. It was maniacal.

mickey
    Over training is a bit of a myth. Incorrect or improper training is more likely what people refer to as over training due to a lack of ability to recover or to recuperate from training. If you are resting adequately, eating adequately and changing your routine adequately, then over training is remarkably rare.
    Frequency of Training and time spent training don't have to set you back when you follow a correct plan.

these days, it is not difficult to find a good method and thereby, you only become subject to over reaching, but not to over training.
    Those days are gone for the most part. I say for teh most part because there is still a percentage of people out there doing it old school and unfortunately, that can often mean doing it wrong.
    Kung Fu is good for you.