Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Create your own form

I am shocked that so many people are shocked at being shocked by the term "creating one's own form/style" when that has been the modus operandi of CMA for some time. A punch is a punch, a kick is a kick, etc so how do I design something for utility. I see the change(s) from Taizu changquan (most, at least) and some other arts that influenced Chen style, then I see changes in Yang style, then, Wu2 and Wu3, etc so CMA is full of creation of one's own form syndrome synthesized into what is called systems. I see a comprehensive system in shuaijiao that can be incorporated to many style, irrespective of status, and even pajama CMA.

Quote Originally Posted by -N- View Post
    In this sequence, what is the reasoning for following the uppercut with eye rake?

And eye rake with elbow, elbow?
    Those 3 are all entering stage you listed. I would take one from the entering stage followed bye a close quarter stage then followed bye one from the exiting stage. So a sequence of 9. 3 from each stage if I was going to try to make a form. Sorry I don't know how to quote a whole message so some of it got chopped off.

My Goal In Life Is To Be A Better Person Today Than I Was Yesterday. Martial Art Is One Of The Tools I Use To Achieve This.

The Equation For Good Kung Fu Is Based On Four Simple Principles Breathing, Relaxation, Continues Movement, Structure. Working Them Under Pressure Is What Good Kung Fu Training Is About.

You Have To Breath To Relax, You Have To Relax To Move, You Have To Move To Keep Structure

My Video Page
    http://www.youtube.com/user/dcrjradmonish

Quote Originally Posted by mawali View Post
    I am shocked that so many people are shocked at being shocked by the term "creating one's own form/style" when that has been the modus operandi of CMA for some time. A punch is a punch, a kick is a kick, etc so how do I design something for utility. I see the change(s) from Taizu changquan (most, at least) and some other arts that influenced Chen style, then I see changes in Yang style, then, Wu2 and Wu3, etc so CMA is full of creation of one's own form syndrome synthesized into what is called systems. I see a comprehensive system in shuaijiao that can be incorporated to many style, irrespective of status, and even pajama CMA.
    in the past every famous fighter would rearrange the techniques and make a new form. CMA has no more new forms because people don't fight.
    Last edited by bawang; 06-30-2013 at 05:18 PM.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dcrjradmonish View Post
    What do you think your favorite 10 combo moves be you would start with combat application wise?
    I like

- punch only drills,
    - kick only drills,
    - lock only drills,
    - throws only drills,
    - mix drills.

This short clip contain 5 "punch only" drills:

- Jab, cross
    - Jab, uppercut, hook
    - Jab, jab, cross
    - Jab, spin back fist, cross
    - Jab, cross, uppercut

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyottmoPIYI
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

wombat combat signature form

eight gate battle

muslim points the way- qinna stance- black dragon enters cave - black dragon enters cave - single whip- black dragon enters cave- black dragon enters cave- black dragon enters cave- black dragon enters cave (cloud hands, seven stars) - black dragon enters cave, black dragon enters cave, black dragon enters cave, black dragon shakes tail - yellow dragon stirs water three times - five flowers sitting on mountain.

fist poem: under heaven no equal, taizu passed on da hongquan. defend top attack bottom, from weak get strong. tiger hug who can defend, black dragon enters cave. yellow dragon stirs the water, who can approach. if he close up tight, steel finger of muslim loosens the way.
    Last edited by bawang; 06-30-2013 at 05:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    wombat combat signature form

eight gate battle

muslim points the way- qinna stance- black dragon enters cave - black dragon enters cave - single whip- black dragon enters cave- black dragon enters cave- black dragon enters cave- black dragon enters cave (cloud hands, seven stars) - black dragon enters cave, black dragon enters cave, black dragon enters cave, black dragon shakes tail - yellow dragon stirs water three times, wuji stance - salute
    That black dragon has some problems. He needs to figure out if he really wants to go in that cave or not.
    like that old japanese zen monk that grabs white woman student titties to awaken them to zen, i grab titties of kung fu people to awaken them to truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal Canzonieri View Post
    You can discuss discrepancies and so on in people's posts without ripping them apart. So easy to do sitting behind a computer screen anonymously, but in person I'm sure you'd be very different, unless you're a total misanthrope without any friends.

Quote Originally Posted by PalmStriker View Post
    I think the term might be "muslin"(cloth). https://www.google.com/search?q=musl...w=1440&bih=807
    if only you learned the real shaolin.

That steel finger, all righty. (yikes !).

Black Dragon? Bawang, perhaps a little optimistic?

I'm hearing forms described as a series of moves, combinations, etc. I think that is selling the exquisite forms short.

A good form has combinations, but more, i.e.
    - a theme to the movements that lets you ad-lib with the techniques within the theme
    - kungs: exercises that develop a flexibility, strength or core skill through repetition, that perhaps don't have a direct martial application, but form the foundations for many.
    - physical challenge for strength, breathing and flexibility
    - a spirit, a feeling, an essence of a character to manifest.

Some forms are unique, others are just re-hashes of hash to begin with, and as training exercises still have tremendous value, but there can be more.

San Chen is one form that comes to mind, as an example many people might be familiar with.
    Guangzhou Pak Mei Kung Fu School, Sydney Australia,
    Sifu Leung, Yuk Seng
    Established 1989, Glebe Australia

Ah, the famous, "Monkey searching for ants' technique!
    Guangzhou Pak Mei Kung Fu School, Sydney Australia,
    Sifu Leung, Yuk Seng
    Established 1989, Glebe Australia

Blog Entries

Some people may not understand what you are trying to say here. Many Shaolin styles came from outside and one of the main source was the Muslim Chinese such as longfist - Islamic style
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 06-30-2013 at 09:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Yum Cha View Post
    Black Dragon? Bawang, perhaps a little optimistic?

I'm hearing forms described as a series of moves, combinations, etc. I think that is selling the exquisite forms short.

A good form has combinations, but more, i.e.
    - a theme to the movements that lets you ad-lib with the techniques within the theme
    - kungs: exercises that develop a flexibility, strength or core skill through repetition, that perhaps don't have a direct martial application, but form the foundations for many.
    - physical challenge for strength, breathing and flexibility
    - a spirit, a feeling, an essence of a character to manifest.

Some forms are unique, others are just re-hashes of hash to begin with, and as training exercises still have tremendous value, but there can be more.

San Chen is one form that comes to mind, as an example many people might be familiar with.
    Well stated.

Blog Entries
    There will be a longfist brothers reunion coming up next year. Every longfist brother will be requested to demonstrate a longfist solo form. Since I believe that solo form is for teaching and learning only, it should not be for training. To demonstrate a solo form in public will be against my own believe. I decide to link my favor longfist combo and mix SC into it. If I repeat a combo left and right, people can see it's "combo drills" and not "solo form". To still train "solo form" starting from the 1st move to the last move at this point of my age just make no sense to me. I just want audience to understand that one should train "combo drills" and not "forms".

Here is one combo that I intend to include:

- cross,
    - wrist grabbing,
    - shoulder pulling with foot sweep,
    - hook punch with leg spring,
    - back fist,
    - uppercut,
    - hammer fist,
    - jab.

In this short combo, all the longfist jab, cross, hook, uppercut, back fist, hammer fist are all included. Since it also includes SC foot sweep and leg spring, it can indicate that my intention to integrate longfist and SC together. Also the end of this combo can link to the begin of this combo, so it can be repeated as many time as needed.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 07-09-2013 at 08:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    Here is one combo that I intend to include:

- cross,
    - wrist grabbing,
    - shoulder pulling with foot sweep,
    - hook punch with leg spring,
    - back fist,
    - uppercut,
    - hammer fist,
    - jab.

In this short combo, all the longfist jab, cross, hook, uppercut, back fist, hammer fist are all included. Since it also includes SC foot sweep and leg spring, it can indicate that my intention to integrate longfist and SC together.
    How about a video of that sequence?

I keep seeing the transitions from Praying Mantis point of view, but would like to see what you had in mind.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by -N- View Post
    How about a video of that sequence?

I keep seeing the transitions from Praying Mantis point of view, but would like to see what you had in mind.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Au7Il...ature=youtu.be
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 07-10-2013 at 12:14 AM.