Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Video

Smile New Video

Hey guys, it's been a while. Made a new video I wanted to share. Nothing new, just recut and in SloMo/regular. These video clips were a while ago and I've since progressed quite a bit structure, distance, and principle wise but I'm still proud regardless. I had a lot of fun when I viewed Wing Chun Chi Sao more as a sparring match. Right, wrong, or indifferent I do believe it was a growing pain with some benefits, and an enjoyable one at that! Hope you enjoy!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5ey4JLuhQ8
    Matt

www.youtube.com/mvbrown25

Using bong as an elbow up strike ? Do you rotate through the target with this and turn your shoulders ?
    Considered an error in our vt.

Quote Originally Posted by k gledhill View Post
    Using bong as an elbow up strike ? Do you rotate through the target with this and turn your shoulders ?
    Considered an error in our vt.
    I know it's not within the "acceptable" confines of Wing Chun but like I said this was back when I viewed free flow more as sparring. It worked at the time... But what I've realized that in all reality, with good timing you can do any type of strike you want regardless of it's adherence. And that's the beauty of training in Wing Chun to me. Ultimately you're developing attributes for fighting that in application it really is an expression of one's self.
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by mvbrown21 View Post
    . And that's the beauty of training in Wing Chun to me. Ultimately you're developing attributes for fighting that in application it really is an expression of one's self.
    What does that mean?

Quote Originally Posted by tc101 View Post
    What does that mean?
    When you actually fight you're going to fight whatever way it comes out, period. Wing Chun helps IMO train some pretty important attributes like timing, distance, footwork, seeing open lines, etc. But it's not fighting. I was responding to Kevin with his question as to why the bong/hook punching. It just came out. It was an open line and the timing was right. Simple as that. I'm not a dogmatist like some on here when it comes to trying out different approaches. Doing drills and structure work. Fair enough, that should be done "correctly". But having fun without care to the "correct way" after class? Yes, absolutely. I think it's important to know what your limits of expression is...

"Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go"

- TS Eliot
    Matt

When you actually fight you're going to fight whatever way it comes out, period. Wing Chun helps IMO train some pretty important attributes like timing, distance, footwork, seeing open lines, etc. But it's not fighting. I was responding to Kevin with his question as to why the bong/hook punching. It just came out. It was an open line and the timing was right. Simple as that. I'm not a dogmatist like some on here when it comes to trying out different approaches. Doing drills and structure work. Fair enough, that should be done "correctly". But having fun without care to the "correct way" after class? Yes, absolutely. I think it's important to know what your limits of expression is...

"Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go"

- TS Eliot
    VT has a specific technical repertoire and angles to make it functional without crossing it with hooks :/ aka lifting my elbow and rotating. Heresy ! ; ) bleed him.

VT has a specific technical repertoire and angles to make it functional without crossing it with hooks :/ aka lifting my elbow and rotating. Heresy ! ; ) bleed him.
    http://youtu.be/Y8jJVx6UcyM

Thanks for the vid Matt, I enjoyed it. I also enjoyed your comments in this thread. I too have found that in the fights I have had, it was not always wing chun that came out of my body.

Even during the more heavier sparring sessions that I have had, including kicks, I find it easy to slip outside of the wing chun envelope, so to speak. Whilst I also share your more open minded and liberal attitude, personally I am in a phase of 'adherence' or at least attempting it!

p.s.

Would love to roll arms with you Matt.

- TS Eliot
    I am a bit dense. You think that the drill you were playing trains fighting attributes and how to express your wing chun when fighting?

Quote Originally Posted by tc101 View Post
    I am a bit dense. You think that the drill you were playing trains fighting attributes and how to express your wing chun when fighting?
    Dude, you're not worth my time
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Paddington View Post
    Thanks for the vid Matt, I enjoyed it. I also enjoyed your comments in this thread. I too have found that in the fights I have had, it was not always wing chun that came out of my body.

Even during the more heavier sparring sessions that I have had, including kicks, I find it easy to slip outside of the wing chun envelope, so to speak. Whilst I also share your more open minded and liberal attitude, personally I am in a phase of 'adherence' or at least attempting it!

p.s.

Would love to roll arms with you Matt.
    Thanks man. Yeah, I'm currently in that "phase" too partly because I really do want to refine myself but also because it's getting harder and harder to find people who want to go harder!!! While they all have a valid point as to why it's not necessary, I originally learned a harder version of Wing Chun within the same lineage that I feel did serve me well. I might have progressed slower in certain aspects but the areas that I did progress in I see a lot of these same people lacking.

I'm located in Tucson, you anywhere close?
    Matt

Nice video, thanks
    Matt

Blog Entries
    When you actually fight you're going to fight whatever way it comes out, period.
    I like your positive attitude. Quite often whe can hear:

- This is not in our system.
    - We don't do this.
    - It's against our system principle.

200 years ago, the WC founder may only have to fight against another TCMA guy. Today, a WC guy has to fight againt both TCMA guy and non-TCMA guy. Some "additional training" will be needed.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 07-01-2013 at 11:23 PM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

Hey, that was great. Nothing like seeing some WC brothers really getting into it. I'll let others offer the critiques. Personally, I just love to see people giving it their all.
    "No contaban con mi astucia!" --el Chapulin Colorado

http://www.vingtsunaz.com/
    www.nationalvt.com/

Dude, you're not worth my time
    Yes yes by all means do not try to answer the question. Your video was wonderful, you are brilliant, that was one of the finest things I've seen. Since all you want is praise I will give you praise.