Thread: New Video

Hybrid View

Smile New Video

Hey guys, it's been a while. Made a new video I wanted to share. Nothing new, just recut and in SloMo/regular. These video clips were a while ago and I've since progressed quite a bit structure, distance, and principle wise but I'm still proud regardless. I had a lot of fun when I viewed Wing Chun Chi Sao more as a sparring match. Right, wrong, or indifferent I do believe it was a growing pain with some benefits, and an enjoyable one at that! Hope you enjoy!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5ey4JLuhQ8
    Matt

www.youtube.com/mvbrown25

Using bong as an elbow up strike ? Do you rotate through the target with this and turn your shoulders ?
    Considered an error in our vt.

Quote Originally Posted by k gledhill View Post
    Using bong as an elbow up strike ? Do you rotate through the target with this and turn your shoulders ?
    Considered an error in our vt.
    I know it's not within the "acceptable" confines of Wing Chun but like I said this was back when I viewed free flow more as sparring. It worked at the time... But what I've realized that in all reality, with good timing you can do any type of strike you want regardless of it's adherence. And that's the beauty of training in Wing Chun to me. Ultimately you're developing attributes for fighting that in application it really is an expression of one's self.
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by mvbrown21 View Post
    . And that's the beauty of training in Wing Chun to me. Ultimately you're developing attributes for fighting that in application it really is an expression of one's self.
    What does that mean?

Quote Originally Posted by tc101 View Post
    What does that mean?
    When you actually fight you're going to fight whatever way it comes out, period. Wing Chun helps IMO train some pretty important attributes like timing, distance, footwork, seeing open lines, etc. But it's not fighting. I was responding to Kevin with his question as to why the bong/hook punching. It just came out. It was an open line and the timing was right. Simple as that. I'm not a dogmatist like some on here when it comes to trying out different approaches. Doing drills and structure work. Fair enough, that should be done "correctly". But having fun without care to the "correct way" after class? Yes, absolutely. I think it's important to know what your limits of expression is...

"Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go"

- TS Eliot
    Matt

When you actually fight you're going to fight whatever way it comes out, period. Wing Chun helps IMO train some pretty important attributes like timing, distance, footwork, seeing open lines, etc. But it's not fighting. I was responding to Kevin with his question as to why the bong/hook punching. It just came out. It was an open line and the timing was right. Simple as that. I'm not a dogmatist like some on here when it comes to trying out different approaches. Doing drills and structure work. Fair enough, that should be done "correctly". But having fun without care to the "correct way" after class? Yes, absolutely. I think it's important to know what your limits of expression is...

"Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go"

- TS Eliot
    VT has a specific technical repertoire and angles to make it functional without crossing it with hooks :/ aka lifting my elbow and rotating. Heresy ! ; ) bleed him.

- TS Eliot
    I am a bit dense. You think that the drill you were playing trains fighting attributes and how to express your wing chun when fighting?