Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Pure System

Quote Originally Posted by xcakid View Post
    NOPE

TCMA never had firearms. We have firearms today. Krav Maga incorporates firearms training in order to be relevant in todays scenarios. Modern weapons and tactics are severely lacking in TCMA.
    tcma had firearms FOO

if u learned the real shaolin u would know dis

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LFJ View Post
    Are you just talking about pitting two styles together in a fair match, which might mean adding or taking away certain techniques? Or are you talking about whether or not a given style can work when facing other styles without change?

We hear purist talk a lot in the Wing Chun forum. Many practitioners want to adhere strictly to the principles of the system.
    I'm more talking about "a given style can work when facing other styles ...".

My roundhouse kick had gone through 4 changing stages.

1. 1st I learned it in longfist. The kick was something between a side kick and roundhouse kick. It's not noticeable. This is why some people even say that roundhouse kick does not exist in longfist.

2. Later on I had cross trained the white ape system, In one of the white ape forms, I learned a clear roundhouse kick.

3. Oneday I found that TKD's roundhouse kick is better. It has more detail such as pointing knee to your opponent, bend your leg, kick out, and pull your leg back along the same path. These level of detail was never taught in my longfist system. I was very excited and spend a great deal of time to it.

4. Later on I found out that MT roundhouse kick is even better. Instead of kicking up, you let your leg to drop and hit your opponent on the way down. Also the body pulling leg can generate much more power than the TKD way.

If I can find any way that's better than the MT way, I will change my roundhouse kick again. Of course I won't go to my longfist teacher and tell him that his roundhouse kick is not the best method. I just keep it to myself. I was the person who changes it alter all.

From my personal experience, I don't understand why some people just don't want to change. If I keep training my longfist roundhouse kick for the rest of my life, I don't think it can reach to the same level as the TKD method or the MT method.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 07-02-2013 at 12:37 PM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    tcma had firearms FOO

Well, it doesn't now and monks taking up arms out of necessity or being pressed into it is hardly saying that TCMA had firearms incorporated into the mix.
    Also, there isn't much in the way of recording that the Monks actually took up arms in peacetime to understand them and to define a kind of Kung fu that uses them.

so. No. NO TCMA does not have firearms just because there are a few old pictures extant of some monks or tcmaists using guns to fight the japanese or engaged in the civil war.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

tcma had firearms FOO

Show me documented training of firearms within TCMA. Just cause a TCMA practitioner picked up a musket and shot it, does not mean TCMA has a proven firearms training curriculum. Unless it was added to a system as an after thought.

I call B.S.
    Master of Shaolin I-Ching Bu Ti, GunGoPow and I Hung Wei Lo styles.

I am seeking sparring partner. Any level. Looking for blondes or redhead. 5'2" to 5'9". Between 115-135 weight class. Females between 17-30 only need apply. Will extensively work on grappling.

I call B.S.
    this coming from shaolin do practitioner
    Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    Well, it doesn't now and monks taking up arms out of necessity or being pressed into it is hardly saying that TCMA had firearms incorporated into the mix.
    Also, there isn't much in the way of recording that the Monks actually took up arms in peacetime to understand them and to define a kind of Kung fu that uses them.

so. No. NO TCMA does not have firearms just because there are a few old pictures extant of some monks or tcmaists using guns to fight the japanese or engaged in the civil war.
    ya. just because shaolin monks trained firearms doesn't prove they trained firearm

Say what?!?! I don't practice Shaolin Do, you must have me mistaken with someone else.

I am seeking sparring partner. Any level. Looking for blondes or redhead. 5'2" to 5'9". Between 115-135 weight class. Females between 17-30 only need apply. Will extensively work on grappling.

Say what?!?! I don't practice Shaolin Do, you must have me mistaken with someone else.
    wat

wat u train mang. I confuse

wat

wat u train mang. I confuse
    Currently, Long Fist Been in long fist since I came on this board.
    I have trained in other arts, but never Shaolin Do.

ya. just because shaolin monks trained firearms doesn't prove they trained firearm
    they used firearms at a point or two along the way. They didn't "train" them as you are inferring and it certainly isn't anything that made it's way into regular training along the way and even in the outlying villages.

so, perhaps some Shaolin monks used guns in the 1800's and early 1900's
    Otherwise, no, no they didn't make it a regular modality of training.

geez, I'm sure the occasional chaplain had to pick up a rifle in ww2 as well, that doesn't mean he's got it as part of his training regimen.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Currently, Long Fist Been in long fist since I came on this board.
    NICE ur a long fist brother. ok I will reveal the secreets.

plum flower spear and pear flower spear are firearms. did I blow ur mind

Blog Entries
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcCCgj0ew7U

This clip is an excellent example that point out the difference between the Taiji method and the SC method.

- The pull at 0.09 is "Taiji" way with 2 contact points, the wrist and the elbow. He "pulled his opponent away" from him. Please notice that his opponent's legs are free.
    - The pull at 0.40 is "SC" way with 3 contact points, the wrist, the elbow, and the leg. He used his right leg to "spring" his opponent's left leg so his opponent will "fall near by" him (if he did not release his grips). Please notice that one of his opponent's legs is not free.

The difference between Taiji and SC is the leg move. If you add leg move into Taiji, Taiji can be a very effective throwing art. The adding result may make Taiji not "pure". But why is that important?
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 07-02-2013 at 01:53 PM.

NICE ur a long fist brother. ok I will reveal the secreets.

plum flower spear and pear flower spear are firearms. did I blow ur mind
    http://youtu.be/BNbMvlPc_7U

All styles, like David(s) and others pointed out, are evolving constantly, but at a pace measured in generations, perhaps only barely visible in our own lifetimes. Even a seminal figure like Bruce Lee took two generations to establish his style. And the rule is, the more generations removed from the 'seminal figure' the weaker the Fu.
    As with all study, once you have completed the regular training to the standard of your instructor, you begin to hone your skills further, and perhaps some might find a new bit to add. That being said, perhaps consistency is more relevant than purity. Purity to me indicates an un changed, un evolving constant, which may be good for academic purposes as a snapshot, but its not a living breathing thing.

Here's the question in my mind, if you have two options, or 3 or more, in a situation, which do you choose? If you are a striker who has a little x-training to understand grappling, do you grapple or strike? Can you afford the time to think about it?

It takes work to learn to apply a style of fighting, boxing, wrestling or Pak Mei and it becomes an issue of depth vs breadth with how many different things you learn.

And it goes without saying that if you find holes, you fill them with whatever works for you. Its the duplication that worries me.
    Last edited by Yum Cha; 07-02-2013 at 08:01 PM.
    Guangzhou Pak Mei Kung Fu School, Sydney Australia,
    Sifu Leung, Yuk Seng
    Established 1989, Glebe Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Yum Cha View Post

All styles, like David(s) and others pointed out, are evolving constantly, but at a pace measured in generations, perhaps only barely visible in our own lifetimes. Even a seminal figure like Bruce Lee took two generations to establish his style. And the rule is, the more generations removed from the 'seminal figure' the weaker the Fu.
    While I think these are the general rules, you can always hope to challenge them... we should strive to be alive and evolving. That doesnt have to mean "disrespect" or giving up your root, but the greatest disrespect is going stale
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Blog Entries
    If I try to search for my ancient root and DNA, I may find this.

http://imageshack.us/a/img24/8929/sc2cv.jpg
    http://imageshack.us/a/img689/8172/sc1p.jpg
    http://imageshack.us/a/img692/2203/sc4fu.jpg

Why do I want to do that for?