Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Pure System

OK, gonna get my a$$ kicked at now...

That boxing clip, weight on front foot, lift rear foot an pivot.

Goes against what I do now.

My big full contact tournament 20+ years ago, typically, I went out and tagged this guy with a great right to the chops, and a kick to the guts, and he just looked at me and came back...

I did the same another dozen times, bloodied him, but never hurt him. WTF?? I'm thinking. Sound familiar? Reviewed the video and the rear foot was always lifted. I started training to drive off the rear heel and got the heavy hit I was looking for. This was the best lesson my whole fighting career. Obviously, there's more to it as well.

We can debate the merits, and I'm interested in the advice and commentary from the boxing trained, but it serves as an example of Purity too.

I think its a style thing, and a classic example of 'either or' when x-training, something from one style that precludes something from another style. I think it can be dangerous and diffuse your skill with the wrong perspective.
    Guangzhou Pak Mei Kung Fu School, Sydney Australia,
    Sifu Leung, Yuk Seng
    Established 1989, Glebe Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Yum Cha View Post

That boxing clip,
    wait, are you being crtical of Greg Nelson? Is that the clip you are talking about?
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

This one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoQB8pBxz7U

Mad Maximillion57. Just the beginning Boxing 101 bit about standing and positioning.

Don't get your undies in a bundle...
    Sifu Leung, Yuk Seng

Listen! This is the internet! I've seen people crticize videos by Dan Gable saying "what does that guy know about wrestling". I've seen people say Erik Paulson doesn't know how to clinch, it's the fucking internet, anything is possible

My undies are just fine, but if you had been crtical of Greg I would have laughed my jimmies in a counter clockwise direction
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    Listen! This is the internet! I've seen people crticize videos by Dan Gable saying "what does that guy know about wrestling". I've seen people say Erik Paulson doesn't know how to clinch, it's the fucking internet, anything is possible

My undies are just fine, but if you had been crtical of Greg I would have laughed my jimmies in a counter clockwise direction
    "Laughing Jimmies" Argggggghhhhhhh the mental image is too much!
    Sifu Leung, Yuk Seng

I did the same another dozen times, bloodied him, but never hurt him. WTF?? I'm thinking. Sound familiar? Reviewed the video and the rear foot was always lifted. I started training to drive off the rear heel and got the heavy hit I was looking for. This was the best lesson my whole fighting career. Obviously, there's more to it as well.
    Mantis approach... speed setup, power finish.

My big full contact tournament 20+ years ago, typically, I went out and tagged this guy with a great right to the chops, and a kick to the guts, and he just looked at me and came back...

We can debate the merits, and I'm interested in the advice and commentary from the boxing trained, but it serves as an example of Purity too.

I think its a style thing, and a classic example of 'either or' when x-training, something from one style that precludes something from another style. I think it can be dangerous and diffuse your skill with the wrong perspective.
    u got weak calves

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Boxing, despite its competitive external. is still a great sport. One can learn from its repertoire but it is limited in scope. compared to a BJJ, and it too has its arena. I would venture to say that anyone who picks up boxing is still way ahead of the game knowing that many of the better champions tend to be from USA.

No doubt that better nutrition, higher level of stamina and conditioning, and way better training methods go a long way in any sport while what is called CMA is still a niche industry. The carryover to other sports and competition is limited in all regards regarding CMA. I would venture to say that anyone trained in wrestling and adopting judo, shuaijiao and BJJ will have a long career because they have already gone through the ropes, as it were! Just sayin'

Blog Entries
    I started training to drive off the rear heel and got the heavy hit I was looking for.
    We all have to go through that training stage. there is no doubt about that.

This is the idea situation. In reality, when your opponent is moving in fast speed, it's very hard to hit him when your back foot is "still" on the ground. This is why the praying mantis "monkey stance" and "golden rooster stance" comes into help. You slide your back foot forward from bow-arrow stance to monkey stance (or even to golden rooster stance with your back foot in the air) to gain distance. Unfortunately since your back foot is "floating (not rooting)", you can't borrow the counter force from the ground and your punch won't be as powerful. This is why in the advance training stage, as soon a your power has been generated from the counter force through your back leg from the ground, you start to utilize your "body momentum".

To have your back foot on the ground, you can generate the maximum amount of power. To slide your back foot forward, you can cover the maximum distance with maximum speed. It's "power" vs. "speed" trade off.

If you watch the following "superman punch" clip, you can clear see that when his punch landed on his opponent's face, his back foot was in the air.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHI4jhoHQh8

This kind of "superman punch" exists in both the longfist and praying mantis system. At 0.04 in the PM Beng Bu clip, a punch is executed in the "golden rooster" stance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1OuZDo-s20

In longfist, you jump forward in the air to throw 3 punches before your both feet landed back down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9jwm...ature=youtu.be
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 07-06-2013 at 02:03 PM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    never was a pure system, only people who believe this are the same who think shaw brother movies are real and believe in the tooth fairy
    This stuff looks as pure as the driven snow: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AP84D4lnmDo

John, you described something we do to a "T" but with different words.

Here's my spiel...

Closing the distance is a whole lesson in itself, but the point is to close and penetrate. Dynamically and fluidly, but for that instant when the fist lands, all our '6' powers lock and deliver the strike. TCMS stance drills always are so slow and clompy, you have to move beyond that. I think of it as that one split second in chaos when it all comes together. A solid chain of locked joints, tight muscle and bone connected to the earth for that split second, then relaxed and dynamic again.

Bawang, When you are up on your rear toes in a strike, and your fist makes full solid contact, your foot goes down, bleeding off energy like a shock absorber. Practice on a heavy bag, its not rocket science. Capturing that energy, (and other small amounts along the chain) gives you really heavy hands. If you're just harassing some guy, or setting up, that's another thing, but if you want to hit hard, you have to root. IMHO. You should be able to take the full charge from someone bigger than you and knock (bui) them backwards. I.e the big guy running in to bear hug and body slam you, and you throw an elbow up to meet him. You must have a stronger foundation to make up for their weight (in motion).

We 'slip the rear foot forward' after the technique, so we are always 'loaded' to drive off that rear foot heel, in essence we 'load' at the end of a technique in preparation of the next.

I used to chase guys around the ring, always being that half inch away from smashing them. Thus the reach and the body twist that brings the foot up. I learned how to get around that, making it unnecessary for the reach. Its a secret, called patience....

I broke an Achilles a decade ago, it brought me down off my toes onto flat feet for awhile and that made a difference too. As did watching Ali fight....
    Sifu Leung, Yuk Seng

Bawang, When you are up on your rear toes in a strike, and your fist makes full solid contact, your foot goes down, bleeding off energy like a shock absorber. Practice on a heavy bag, its not rocket science.
    u have weak calves

spar a muay thai guy wit flat feet and see what happens. tell him to b gentle
    Last edited by bawang; 07-06-2013 at 09:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    u have weak calves

spar a muay thai guy wit flat feet and see what happens. tell him to b gentle
    How many thai guys do you know with flat feet? How can I find one?
    Sifu Leung, Yuk Seng

How many thai guys do you know with flat feet? How can I find one?
    r u a crack baby or have fetal alcohol syndrome, I said spar wit a muay thai guy with your flat feet.

the saying goes live to old age learn to old age. u still got a lesson to learn.

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    r u a crack baby or have fetal alcohol syndrome, I said spar wit a muay thai guy with your flat feet.
    But I don't have flat feet. My arches are good. Do you have flat feet or something? Don't be ashamed, lots of people live long and fruitful lives with flat feet. Buy good shoes.
    Last edited by Yum Cha; 07-06-2013 at 10:08 PM.
    Sifu Leung, Yuk Seng