Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Gun defense

do you honestly believe that is a high % technique? i'd feel comfortable putting wager on most people getting shot in that exact scenario. the majority % would get shot
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    do you honestly believe that is a high % technique? i'd feel comfortable putting wager on most people getting shot in that exact scenario. the majority % would get shot
    Highest percentage technique if shooter doesn't plan on shooting you = compliance.

Highest percentage technique if shooter is going to shoot you from that position = that technique + the follow up techniques that will follow the first part if the impacts to the knees don't land.

ya ok you got me there. waskily wabbit. i still think that the gunman reaction is absolutely ignored there. that vid isnt that much different than exact scenario techniques being demo'd in tma. both parties are demoing the tech. the gunman gave zero resistance. but i concede your point
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    ya ok you got me there. waskily wabbit. i still think that the gunman reaction is absolutely ignored there. that vid isnt that much different than exact scenario techniques being demo'd in tma. both parties are demoing the tech. the gunman gave zero resistance. but i concede your point
    The shooter's reaction is pretty much "WFT just happened" the first couple of times.

That was far different than your standard TMA demo. Those were full force blows to the front of the knees. Try having someone do that to your knees, even with knee pads on, and see how that feels.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post

Yeah, I can see it worked really well, especially how the "attacker" acted.
    Are you saying you think the "attacker" jumped into the air in coordination with the impacts against the knees, as is seen in those fake TMA demos?

Quote Originally Posted by LaRoux View Post
    Are you saying you think the "attacker" jumped into the air in coordination with the impacts against the knees, as is seen in those fake TMA demos?
    He survived, didn't he?
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

The shooter's reaction is pretty much "WFT just happened" the first couple of times.

That was far different than your standard TMA demo. Those were full force blows to the front of the knees. Try having someone do that to your knees, even with knee pads on, and see how that feels.
    Here you go:
    You guys really need to learn to differentiate between workable techniques that have evidence for being practical and bogus techniques like the ones that were shown in the original clip.

Are you, you?
    LOL !
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

If you are in a position where a person holds a gun right in your face and intends to do harm, giving anything a try is better than nothing. You would probably have a better defense using words, IMO.

Besides, if somebody walks on you with a pistol with intent, they are going to start firing long before they come into range for any sort of hand defense. Usually when a gun is put to someones head, it's not with definite intent to kill. And to turn in and try some stuff like that will force their hand.

Chances are, if you get into a situation where somebody is right up on you with intent to kill, you made your fatal mistake long before that. That is an emotional thing, to get that close. If all you're thinking about is killing, they are dead/wounded from 20 feet away. Anyone with a bit of experience can hit center mass from 20 yards, let alone 20 feet, w/ a handgun.

And what soldier is going to actually put themselves in range like that? That's some rookie shit right there.

Yet another shooter - Aaron Alexis kills 12

Our latest ezine article became quite timely.

Read Facing an Active Shooter: The Kung Fu Basics by Robert Dreeben
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Gun!!!

Rule 1) Get down low

Rule 2) Seek an exit

^This is effective gun defense.

Everything that has you trying to disarm, or grab or distract etc etc etc is...well, it's minimally useful at best and a load of crap for the most part.

Yes indeed, try these moves with an airsoft pistol. You will get shot 99.9% of the time. If you don't believe it, try it. Try as many crazy ass moves as you like. You will get shot pretty much every single time.

Oh yeah, against a knife? You'll get cut. 99.9% of the time.

Empty hand vs a weapon? Weapon will prevail 99.9% of the time.

Has escalation of force taught us nothing and we are all dreaming we are spider man or batman. Get serious with your training people.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Nix rule 1 there, DJ

In active shooter scenarios, it is not recommended that you 'get down low'. It is recommended that you take cover behind something. Bullets travel downward, so most police strategies, getting down low is a last resort course of action.

As for gun disarms, I agree with you, but heed Dreeben's point on the matter "It is very difficult to pull off during one of those small windows of opportunity, and the odds of success are stacked against you as the twitch of a trigger finger takes less than a second. That being said, it's better to have one technique rather than no techniques as a last ditch effort for survival."
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Two things:

Cover=find it.
    Distance=put it between you and the shooter.

rule #3

become a bionic commando. then the bullets just bounce right off.

If someone is intent on shooting you, then you're going to get shot because they'll just blast away when they see you. Distance can be a friend or a foe. It can be a friend if they are not a good shot and they are far away (come to think of it, if they are close and not a good shot, you can still get away...).

Active shooter aside, I disagree that you can't take someone's gun away - especially if they haven't shot you and the gun is within touching distance. Remember, action is faster than reaction. Simplicity is usually the key (1, 2 moves tops), and training it so that its second nature. I know because I teach and train gun takeaway and we use simunition. Haven't lost that race yet. Again, the caveat is 1) the person is not intent on just shooting you, 2) the gun is within touching distance. Will it work in every situation? No, but then again, nothing does - it all depends. And to paraphrase Gene, better to have something than nothing in that sitchie.

Oh, just to clarify when I do my gun takeaway, the gun may still go off (their finger is on the trigger), but I'm not getting shot - getting off-line, but I'll end up with their gun.