Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ever grabbed a throat in anger?

Ever grabbed a throat in anger?

The "Saatchi" - Hope it doesn't get moved to 'current events'

Seriously, not counting any wife beaters out there, have you ever grabbed the throat of an opponent, and what happened?

The neck is a dangerous place to attack, is it a focus of your style? Are you clear about lethal and non-lethal techniques?

Maori warriors have an attack to the tendons in the front of the throat, where they make a funny hook fist and twist it into the tendon then pull it - no, never seen it done, just been shown how it works. N A S T Y. I don't tend to class Maori fighting techniques with conventional MA, but. Boys that go hunting 300 lb wild pigs with knives for the weekend BBQ just aren't in the same class.

Anybody care to take the side its not possible, or its a low percentage technique?

To me, if you can punch the mouth, you can strike or grab the throat, and fingers give you an extra few inches...

For disclosure, here's my experience:
    I've done it twice, and both times the fight drained out of the opponent, like a burst balloon, never had to do anything else. Huge freak out factor. Granted, it wasn't amidst an exchange of blows, but a parry into initial attack that ended the situation, and no, I wasn't ready to finish it, I would have done something else if needed. It was a practical bluff.

An old friend, a giant retired bouncer agreed, it just takes the fight out of them. Same panic as an air choke in grappling, even if it doesn't choke the air, fully....

I've also struck/pushed the throat with the Y between thumb and forefinger, which also gets folks attention. Same basic technique as a grab, but unfinished. (good block for the head butt too).
    Guangzhou Pak Mei Kung Fu School, Sydney Australia,
    Sifu Leung, Yuk Seng
    Established 1989, Glebe Australia

It's so dangerous it killed all those guys in Brazil during those 65 years of "vale tudo" fights and had to be banned......

Oh, wait, no, that never happened. It was never used successfully. And it was never banned so it could have been used...

is it POSSIBLE? yeah, sure, but seems to me if that is your "go to technique" you are assuming a lot
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Quote Originally Posted by Yum Cha View Post
    The "Saatchi" - Hope it doesn't get moved to 'current events'

Seriously, not counting any wife beaters out there, have you ever grabbed the throat of an opponent, and what happened?

The neck is a dangerous place to attack, is it a focus of your style? Are you clear about lethal and non-lethal techniques?

Maori warriors have an attack to the tendons in the front of the throat, where they make a funny hook fist and twist it into the tendon then pull it - no, never seen it done, just been shown how it works. N A S T Y. I don't tend to class Maori fighting techniques with conventional MA, but. Boys that go hunting 300 lb wild pigs with knives for the weekend BBQ just aren't in the same class.

Anybody care to take the side its not possible, or its a low percentage technique?

To me, if you can punch the mouth, you can strike or grab the throat, and fingers give you an extra few inches...

For disclosure, here's my experience:
    I've done it twice, and both times the fight drained out of the opponent, like a burst balloon, never had to do anything else. Huge freak out factor. Granted, it wasn't amidst an exchange of blows, but a parry into initial attack that ended the situation, and no, I wasn't ready to finish it, I would have done something else if needed. It was a practical bluff.

An old friend, a giant retired bouncer agreed, it just takes the fight out of them. Same panic as an air choke in grappling, even if it doesn't choke the air, fully....

I've also struck/pushed the throat with the Y between thumb and forefinger, which also gets folks attention. Same basic technique as a grab, but unfinished. (good block for the head butt too).
    Great post.

There is a reason throat grabs or strikes are considered fouls in competitions.

Same with eye strikes, and groin strikes. To those who think they are ineffective... ever watched an MMA fight where someone accidentally gets hit in one of these three places? The fight stops while the fighter who was hit gets time to pull themselves together.

"Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win."
    - Sun Tzu

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    It's so dangerous it killed all those guys in Brazil during those 65 years of "vale tudo" fights and had to be banned......

Oh, wait, no, that never happened. It was never used successfully. And it was never banned so it could have been used...

is it POSSIBLE? yeah, sure, but seems to me if that is your "go to technique" you are assuming a lot
    Wouldn't say 'go to', its just whatever present's itself. Its integrated in my training, and I'm not afraid to use it. What more can you say.
    Sifu Leung, Yuk Seng

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    ever watched an MMA fight where someone accidentally gets hit in one of these three places?
    accidental is the key word...

groin strikes were legal in the first couple UFC's, they didn't play a huge factor in the outcomes of fights. Although keith hackney beating dan severans in the junk is a memorable moment.

eye gouges can happen and they do hurt but in the mist of fighting it's not a go to move especially with a finger strike type of movement considering the person can move just as you do and you could strike the hard part of the skull.

throat grabs/strikes, yeah they have potential, but they also have downfalls. Not a high percentage movement in my book, to many variables. If i'm getting close enough to grab someone's throat, there are many, many, other things I can do from that distance that are more effective.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

A guy I know did it to someone who was winding him up at work continuously, day in day out, making his work life living hell. The guy stopped abusing him at work.
    My friend is a pretty big guy, and he is slow to anger, but he was pushed too far.
    He had to stop after a bit though. The guy was about to black out.

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post

Mr. Ross, I respect your opinion, but here is clear evidence you are wrong:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlnBvrV8IW4

Blog Entries
    When Frank Demmeria fought Wu San Chu in Taiwan, the fight ended with Wu used a finger jab at Frank's throat and dropped him. My teacher was the referee in that fight.

The throat hold is called "封(Feng) – throat blocking" in TCMA. It's always my favor move.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aecm1yIbaeI

When my wife (also my SC student) used that move in another SC school, That SC instructor said, "We don't do that John Wang's stuff here." That SC instructor was joking of course.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 07-04-2013 at 12:43 AM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    ....."We don't do that John Wang's stuff here." That SC instructor was joking of course.
    hahahha High 5 John!
    Sifu Leung, Yuk Seng

Blog Entries
    This was an old demo that I gave to the Taiwan Central Police College many years ago.

- Knee control on the body,
    - Leading arm bar,
    - Throat hold,

can work very well in combat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjKLV...ature=youtu.be

Sometime in sparring, we use a very simple rule, that is whoever can put his hand on his opponent's throat, the match stops and that person wins that round. It's very safe to train this way. I believe if you can put your hand on your opponent's throat, your hand can punch on his nose.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 07-04-2013 at 12:46 AM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    This was one old demo that I gave to the Taiwan Central Police College many years ago.

- Knee control on the body,
    - Leading arm bar,
    - Throat hold,

can work very well in combat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjKLV...ature=youtu.be

Sometime in sparring, we use a very simple rule, that is whoever can put his hand on his opponent's throat, the match stops and that person wins that round. It's very safe to train this way. I believe if you can put your hand on your opponent's throat, your hand can punch on his nose.
    I like that a lot, too often in a friendly exchange one will ignore the fact that the other person pulled, or was gentle during a normally vital strike and continue to just fight away like nothing happened.

"Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win."
    - Sun Tzu

Of course you wouldnt have seen this technique used a lot in the old mma fights or vale tudo..who wanna go on about "Hey,I won my fights with a groin kick or throat grab" those are things you can use in selfdefence situations....so even those techniques were allowed nobody really went to fight there thinking Im using this...

also those techniques are of course much harder to apply in a duel sort of fight...in a selfefence situation the attacker most likely doesnt expect the victim to fight back..and leaves better openings for counter attacks..

Since I did both (not mma) from Judo,boxing,to kickboxing to Sanda to freefighting but also worked as a doorman for several years I find that those are 2 different worlds and apply 2 different fight-strategies..the exception would be getting in a fight outside the ring or competitive fighting area with a mma/thaibox/sanda/kick/boxer... this has yet to happen (to me)... because people that train well tend not go out and cause trouble...

Quote Originally Posted by Neeros View Post
    Great post.

There is a reason throat grabs or strikes are considered fouls in competitions.

Same with eye strikes, and groin strikes. To those who think they are ineffective... ever watched an MMA fight where someone accidentally gets hit in one of these three places? The fight stops while the fighter who was hit gets time to pull themselves together.
    i dont think anyone said they were ineffective, just low percentage and not fight enders

As for your point about fighters being given time to recovery, thats them playing by the rules and milking the ref when he sees these things happen in order to stop the flow of the fight, there are plenty of fights where the ref misses a groin shot or eye poke and the fighter carries on and its not until the replay at the end of a round you even know its happened

Not to mention the first rule of boxing in chin tucked and shoulders up, maskes the throat a much less visable target

Things like eye pokes, groin strikes, throat attacks can be useful tools in fighting. They do not replace solid fighting skills however only supplement them. For example on the ground these things are useful if you have a good ground game but are useless without one and generally the people with solid skills don't use them because they rely on their bread and butter. The same is true in stand up fighting.