The "Saatchi" - Hope it doesn't get moved to 'current events'

Seriously, not counting any wife beaters out there, have you ever grabbed the throat of an opponent, and what happened?

The neck is a dangerous place to attack, is it a focus of your style? Are you clear about lethal and non-lethal techniques?

Maori warriors have an attack to the tendons in the front of the throat, where they make a funny hook fist and twist it into the tendon then pull it - no, never seen it done, just been shown how it works. N A S T Y. I don't tend to class Maori fighting techniques with conventional MA, but. Boys that go hunting 300 lb wild pigs with knives for the weekend BBQ just aren't in the same class.

Anybody care to take the side its not possible, or its a low percentage technique?

To me, if you can punch the mouth, you can strike or grab the throat, and fingers give you an extra few inches...

For disclosure, here's my experience:
I've done it twice, and both times the fight drained out of the opponent, like a burst balloon, never had to do anything else. Huge freak out factor. Granted, it wasn't amidst an exchange of blows, but a parry into initial attack that ended the situation, and no, I wasn't ready to finish it, I would have done something else if needed. It was a practical bluff.

An old friend, a giant retired bouncer agreed, it just takes the fight out of them. Same panic as an air choke in grappling, even if it doesn't choke the air, fully....

I've also struck/pushed the throat with the Y between thumb and forefinger, which also gets folks attention. Same basic technique as a grab, but unfinished. (good block for the head butt too).