Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ever grabbed a throat in anger?

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    This was an old demo that I gave to the Taiwan Central Police College many years ago.

- Knee control on the body,
    - Leading arm bar,
    - Throat hold,

can work very well in combat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjKLV...ature=youtu.be
    The entry into this is in the Praying Mantis 14 Road/Routes drill - 11th road, Throat Lock.

Control opponents lead arm, throat grab, takedown.

Unless you spend time developing your grip AND developing your ability to USE it in a fight ( when the other guys is fighting back and knows how to fight), it won't work.
    Can it work for some?
    yes, 100%
    Don't do it with an extended arm is an obvious.
    The opponents had/neck should be "immobilized".
    Don't grip the neck, but the actual throat/larynx.
    Develop a grip that is truly "above the norm" and I don't mean a "strong" hand shake, I mean "capt of crush" category.

Look, ANYTHING can work IF it is trained to work.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Blog Entries
    In a close environment such as a bar area, if you can use one hand to hold on the front part of your opponent's bell, by pulling his belt with one hand and pushing his throat with another can force his upper body to bend backward. If you add the 3rd contact point, your leg, you can take your opponent down. When your opponent is falling backward, your knee can smash right into his grion. That can be a good "finish move".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfU5L...ature=youtu.be

IMO, the "throat hold" may not be a finish move but to smash the back of your opponent's head to hit on a hard ground can be.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 07-04-2013 at 12:09 PM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

Back in my early days of training, I used to know a crazy modern day monk, i.e. some dude that lived at the temple where we trained in poverty and spiritual retreat. He was a nut, but he had great martial arts. He agreed to 'spar' a bit with me one day, and proceeded to effortlessly poke me in the eye - hands went up - poke in the d1ck - hands went down - pinch on the adams apple - hands went up, back to the groin, eye, throat, groin..... I think you get it....

Just poking me lightly, and laughing his looney a$$ off. Me, flurrying all about like a cat with a dozen cloths pins on it...

Apart from the entertainment, the lesson I learned was that you can't help but react to attacks like that, even 'gentle' ones, and they make great set-ups.

Its like getting the 'push' on someone's ribcage when they aren't prepared, once you feel it compress, the strongest man in the world can't resist the reflex.
    Guangzhou Pak Mei Kung Fu School, Sydney Australia,
    Sifu Leung, Yuk Seng
    Established 1989, Glebe Australia

Its a very natural thing to do.

Before I did much martial arts did this a lot, the funny thing is when you do it often the opponent does it back immediately. This can be a useful principle to use to lure someone into a move.

A good move is to lock the throat --- head butt. It is always worrying doing a head butt incase they do it at the same time and you smash each other. However when you have their throat locked they can't move their head as much so are a good target for it.

Blog Entries
    After throat hold, an elbow strike on your opponent's face when his head is on the ground can be a natural "follow on strike" move.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 07-04-2013 at 06:33 PM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

true story,i didn't grab a guys neck but i struck a guy in the throat with a bagua zhang tiger mouth strike. here is how it went, this was about ten years ago, i was in new york coming back from a japanese language meet up group with a friend of mine a japanese lady. we walked for a short while and wound up in bowery street looking for a subway. while we were crossing the street i vaguely hear someone from behind,yelling something. not knowing this was related to me we keep walking across the street, when we reached the curb, i hear[Move] and out of the corner of my eye see a guy fall on roller blades.

we keep walking and about a minute later i start hearing curses from behind. i turn around and that guy on roller blades come up to my face with his hands up,about two feet from me. he is blaming me for his falling. i tried to explain to him i didn't know he was talking to me nicely but he persisted, calling me a tough guy and if he didn't have skates on he would **** me up... now at this point i am starting to get ****ed and began to argue with him, and his hands were still up in a position were he could strike at me easily ,being he was in my face.

in my mind at the time i decide to shut him up rather then walk away,feeling i was in the right. i quickly struck him in the throat with a tiger mouth strike. it shot out from my hips and went directly into his throat. he he fell flat onto his back. after a few seconds he started to roll onto his stomach to get back onto his feet. i didn't want to allow him to stand,in fear he might have a weapon[bowery street is known for junkies and such] or might cause a big commotion getting us both arrested. so i kneeled next to him and put on a rear naked choke, at this point i remember two big guys come next to me and they were scared to touch me, ,they were asking me very politly,please leave him alone. i am only 5 foot 9 inches 165 pounds. [i guess my action scared them] i choked him till i felt him go limp then released the hold. he made an effort to get up then fainted and his head bounced off the concrete.

my friend the japanese lady was screaming she thought he was dead. i wanted to wait make sure he was ok,before leaving, those two big guys where helping him, he regained consciousness,and i quickly grabbed my friends hand and ,split across the street and down some side street before any cops showed up.

Throat Strike, or Grip works. <period>

It's not a fantasy move and you don't need super human strength to pull it off.

My brother, who's never trained a minute in a MA Kwoon, was enjoying a night of refreshments with his army buddies in a small Texas establishment in the way-back of the 90's... when a belligerent Texican walks up and immodestly accused my brother of sitting in "his seat". My brother stood up and politely told the immodest Texican to fudge off, thereby causing the Texican to wind up, and I guess attempt to throw his best John Wayne like haymaker - in the midst of this comic book action, my brother placed a friendly hand on the immodest Texican's throat and proceeded to gently, albeit forcibly guide the Texican to the ground. After the three largish security personnel removed my brother's hand from the Texican's throat and asked my brother and the Texican to leave their establishment, the Texican no longer wished to express his immodest claim to the said seat when they were outside.

Last guy that tried to grab my throat got broken ribs and and KO'd for the effort.
    Just saying
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Last guy that tried to grab my throat got broken ribs and and KO'd for the effort.
    Just saying
    Your mom doesn't count!

*just kidding.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Just saying
    Yea, well, you barely got any neck to begin with 'beef'.
    Sifu Leung, Yuk Seng

I didn't actually get a chance to look at John Wang's clip until now, I know John and know his stuff is real...

I was gonna mention that one of the ways we do use a throat grab that I think works well, is to set up a throw, and BAM,,, there was John's clip

He beat me to it
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

ive had my throat grabbed and pinched finger to finger when i was sleeping by a very large man. it made me fight like a wild maniac and he didnt get to hold on very long, and yes he had my throat pinched off completely. if anything giving someone a true fear that their life is in danger, will fuel them to limits they otherwise may not reach.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post

ive had my throat grabbed and pinched finger to finger when i was sleeping by a very large man.
    whose your daddy....
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    whose your daddy....
    Sifu Leung, Yuk Seng