Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ever grabbed a throat in anger?

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    whose your daddy....
    ur mom !!!!
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

I have grabbed the throat of my opponent before, but it wasn't during any match. Usually, the speed, audacity, and violence of action more than nullifies the risk of exposing yourself. Of course, if you screw it up... have fun at the hospital.
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

Quote Originally Posted by Drake View Post
    I have grabbed the throat of my opponent before, but it wasn't during any match. Usually, the speed, audacity, and violence of action more than nullifies the risk of exposing yourself. Of course, if you screw it up... have fun at the hospital.
    Its a tricky thing, and being that I've never done it prepared to fully execute what I perceive as a potentially fatal attack, its a bluff, with prejudice and intimidation.

Come across someone like Sanjuro or Lucas and you'll get called. Still, does take the fight out of most guys.....
    Guangzhou Pak Mei Kung Fu School, Sydney Australia,
    Sifu Leung, Yuk Seng
    Established 1989, Glebe Australia

When I was a teenager, a man used the throat grab on me during sparring. I immediately froze and grabbed his hand with both of my hands, leaving myself in a vulnerable position while struggling against his grip.

I remember being very disappointed in myself. Common sense says I have two hands and he has one hand tied up with his grab, just punch him in the head, but my instincts took over and I couldn't do it. At that time I chocked it up to inexperience and the fact that he had trained longer than me.

I've never used the technique that much myself; and certainly wouldn't consider it "go to," but over the years I've employed it a few times during sparring, always with the same result. The guy being grabbed reaches up with both hands and tries to break the grip. No one ever took a swing at me with the throat lock on.

I've also used this and seen other people use this in real life situations, every time with the same result. Dude getting grabbed reaches with both hands and tries to free the grip. I got to believe that is an instinctive response.

On the other hand, I do know one person who was being grabbed by the throat, (apparently not to strongly since he could still talk,) and twice told the dude if he didn't let go he was going to slap him. After the throat grabber ignored the two warnings, he knocked the guy out with an open hand slap. Apparently some people can override the instinct. (I didn't witness that one, only heard the legends later...)
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    We should not use "TCMA is more than combat" as excuse for not "evolving".

You can have Kung Fu in cooking, it really has nothing to do with fighting!

Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    Common sense says I have two hands and he has one hand tied up with his grab, just punch him in the head, but my instincts took over and I couldn't do it.
    Which is why Praying Mantis controls the opponent's lead arm while grabbing the throat. Harder for him to turn and punch. You can defend like in the example with Koga's underarm gi grip. And you already trapped his legs for a takedown.