I'm not Spanish and WTF is a bogan? LMFAO
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bogan

Im sure there's an english equivalent

Quote Originally Posted by jimhalliwell View Post
    Hi

Whats all this nonsense about?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVP4J3otbGo

jim
    Looks like some young Turk trying to make a name for himself and bit off more than he could chew to me.

Quote Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bogan

Im sure there's an english equivalent
    ------------------------------------------

Bogan is in newer editions of the oxford english dictionary.

Quote Originally Posted by trubblman View Post
    Looks like some young Turk trying to make a name for himself and bit off more than he could chew to me.
    Gary Lam isn't Turkish

The term bogan (/ˈboʊɡən/)[1] is Australian and New Zealand slang, usually pejorative or self-deprecating, for an individual who is recognised to be from an unsophisticated background or someone whose speech, clothing, attitude and behaviour exemplifies a lack of manners and education.[2] While bogan is widely recognised, localised names exist that describe the same or very similar groups of people.

Sums me up pretty much. Thanks Glenn xx

Quote Originally Posted by Graham H View Post
    The term bogan (/ˈboʊɡən/)[1] is Australian and New Zealand slang, usually pejorative or self-deprecating, for an individual who is recognised to be from an unsophisticated background or someone whose speech, clothing, attitude and behaviour exemplifies a lack of manners and education.[2] While bogan is widely recognised, localised names exist that describe the same or very similar groups of people.

Sums me up pretty much. Thanks Glenn xx
    Glad to help G!

Quote Originally Posted by Grumblegeezer View Post
    This same video was circulating around a few years back, so it's old news. I don't blame Gary Lam at all for getting a bit rough on the guy, and it all ended well enough, considering.
    If you want to critique his WC, that's fine by me.

I personally find it really annoying when you start to do chi-sau with someone and all they want to do is play "gotcha"-- trying to slip in one cheap shot, then break stick and jump back out of range like this guy. It's a good thing this guy didn't try that with some of the less amicable instructors I know like Emin Boztepe.
    i dont see how that was a cheap shot. he legitimately got in.

whether gary lam was just "going easy" or not doesnt make what the guy did a cheap shot.

There were openings in his guard, which the younger guy took advantage of. I don't think there's anything wrong with this.
    Gary Lam could have acknowledged that he had some weaknesses, but his ego was threatened and he decided to beat the guy around the head a little. Not good behaviour.
    I've only been to a few classes of wingchun, but when you probe potential gaps with someone of really high level, they should have some response ready.

Wow. A chi sau exchange where someone actually gets hit.

Is this such an anomaly that people feel the need to resurrect ancient discussions and videos? I'm sure this clip has made the rounds here already.

There was quick action to cover up this "incident" when it happened. Hence the video being a new upload.

Quote Originally Posted by LFJ View Post
    There was quick action to cover up this "incident" when it happened. Hence the video being a new upload.
    IMO it would have been best left covered up. Too many people have turned this molehill into the entire Himalayas. One guy even wrote six blog posts on "what he had learned from it".
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

Quote Originally Posted by Pacman View Post
    i dont see how that was a cheap shot. he legitimately got in.

whether gary lam wHas just "going easy" or not doesnt make what the guy did a cheap shot.
    I agree. If Lam had been talking to the audience with his head turned and the guy hit him, THAT would be a cheap shot! But he invited the guy down to roll with him, the guy felt an opening and his hand naturally shot forward. No cheap shot, just basic Chi Sao. Why Lam got all huffy about it is unclear to me. He should have just smiled, said "good one!" and kept going. He invited a stranger down to roll with him and so should have been prepared for anything.

Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    [...] He invited a stranger down to roll with him and so should have been prepared for anything.
    Chi sauing with someone for the first time, particularly from a different school, is one of the most enjoyable 'wing chun experiences' that I can think of. Everything is just so unknown and unfamiliar that it is a real test of skill to be able to settle the body as quickly as is possible, to be as receptive and adaptive as is possible. It is usually under such circumstances, rolling with someone you know nothing about for the first time, where I feel most at danger and most likely to be hit, particularly when the opponent is 'skilled'.
    Last edited by Paddington; 07-09-2013 at 12:23 AM.