Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718

Thread: Decent light sparring vid

Quote Originally Posted by tc101 View Post
    My contribution is to say do not argue about made up principles using physics you do not really understand and instead talk about practical things in common sense ordinary language. Thank you.
    The funny thing is that most people seem to understand it perfectly well

Quote Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
    All modern sports training would disagree with you.
    Lol, exactly.

This is just too much to ignore. So against my better judgment I'm going to put in my 2 cents worth.

Ted Williams one of the greatest hitters in baseball thought that what gave him and edge in hitting was how he watched the ball he said he could see the seams rotate. Turns out this is physically impossible, He only imagined that. So while he could do it he couldI do not take much stock in explanations.

That example has nothing to do with explanations based on physics. But it has everything to do with Sports Psychology. Do you believe that Sports Psychology exists? A Sports Psychologist would say that this type of visualization is a great way to really focus in on the taks of hitting the ball and exclude all distractions. That's likely why it gave Williams an edge.

I can argue with people who do not understand physics trying to explain things with physics. It is the same as people who have little grasp on chemistry trying to explain things with chemistry.

Just because you don't understand their explanation doesn't mean that THEY don't understand physics! I say it only means that YOU don't understand physics.

The point is you cannot break the punch down into elements because it does not work like that since all the various elements are synergistic if that is a word.

Well, that's funny. Because you CAN break down the gait cycle (walking or running) into elements....its a standard feature in biomechanics texts. All those elements work together in a synergistic fashion, just like throwing a punch. In fact, I'd say the gait cycle is probably more complicated than throwing a punch. So in my opinion, you CAN break the punch down into elements.

It is like a chemical reaction since people like talking physics I will talk chemistry. It is the reaction of all the chemicals interacting that is the important thing not the various properties of the elements that go into the mix that gets us the reaction.

True, its the overall effect that counts. No one is arguing that. But you seem to take offense to the idea that people are able to break things down and analyze them a bit better than you can. Even your hypothetical chemist will be able to break that reaction down into elements, even to the level of transfer of electrons. Otherwise he isn't much of a chemist!

I guess you can break hitting a baseball down into levers, rotational forces, mass transfer and so forth also but I do not think doing that will make anyone a better hitter or really describe what hitting a baseball is like.

I think this has already been pointed out, but there are plenty of professional coaches and trainers out there that would disagree with you!

I'm starting to get the sense they you like to argue here just for the sake of arguing, given your recent history in various discussions. I guess that's Ok. Its kind of fun, don't you think?

Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    [...] you CAN break down the gait cycle (walking or running) into elements....its a standard feature in biomechanics texts. All those elements work together in a synergistic fashion, just like throwing a punch. In fact, I'd say the gait cycle is probably more complicated than throwing a punch. So in my opinion, you CAN break the punch down into elements.
    [...]
    Given modern technology there is so much scope here to investigate and scrutinize wing chun. If I had the resources, I would be focusing my attention on such a type of analysis. I guess to analyze is to break something into elements and to see its parts, that does not detract in anyway from the bigger picture being a system of elements in unison.