Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Decent light sparring vid

Quote Originally Posted by tc101 View Post
    I do not think he is lost. I think he has the agenda to spread the real wing chin as he sees it and this so consumes him that every topic morphs into that in his mind.
    To be fair to Hendrik, his recent posts have had a bit more clarity. For me, with that clarity I realize that much of what he talks about in his Wing Chun, is actually also in my Wing Tsun (and probably a lot of what he is talking about is present in most people's WT/WC/VT too).

Hendrik uses his own terminology to describe things, and sometimes that makes things sound fairly complicated. In truth, when he boils things down to more concise videos and simpler posts, much of his material, IMO, is present in others training too. I think he would be the first to admit that it's not rocket science, and often not exclusive to his version of Wing Chun.

He often uses analogies to try and make things clearer - which is good, but it is easy for some to take the analogy too literally. E.g. springs, coiled springs, rattan canes etc. these are just words/expressions to help build an image in the mind of what is happening. Our bodies are not really springs, not really canes, etc. You just need to take the idea behind them and apply it how we move, react, etc.

For some, Hendrik's view of WCK history is wrong - and there's nothing wrong with debating a point... but it feels to me that some people (JP in Arizona) deliberately post on Hendrik's threads with the single intent of insulting the guy. Which is weird. Ignore his threads and posts if you don't want to really engage (not a direct reference to you, tc101).
    No mocking, tongue-in-cheek signature here... move on.

Many times I have inivite you to express and define

What is Wck?
    What is good and bad in sparring? developed sparring skills ?

But you have not done that , instead keep on critic this is no good that cannot be define. Please share now.

Didn't Wsl the sifu of Jerry fight boxer with Wck?
    Also please don't tell me Jerry doesn't know what he is doing.

----------

Sifu Jerry Yeung is the founder and head coach of “Pure Ving Tsun (PVT)”. He first
    met the Master of Ving Tsun, Wong Shun Leung Sifu in 1989, who
    afterwards became Jerry’s coach and enlightened him on Ving Tsun and
    inspired his passion for the traditional Chinese Martial Arts.
    Like his teacher,

Jerry honed his Ving Tsun skills by competing in numerous contact competitions. He's the 3 Times Sanda Champion

and the co-host of Kung Fu Quest II TV programme produced by RTHK.

---------

For you this seems to be a good example of the wing chin approach to use momentum to control the center but it was presented as a good example of sparring and that is what I was commenting on.

If those guys sparred with some people with developed sparring skills they would have been trounced and never been able to use their capture the centre momentum.
    Last edited by Hendrik; 07-08-2013 at 06:48 AM.

Yes, Wck is a art with specific philosophy concept, strategy of execution, tools, and development for implementation. It is very well define because it is a tool use in 1855 uprising war zone .

Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    I would say that Wing Chun is like constantly driving a wedge into the center of the opponent. Occupy the center, keep the center, attack the center. Other systems don't do that. As Hendrik has pointed out to me, SPM doesn't do that.

Wck off spring from the red boat era are not too far way from each others.

There are something which is more involve when we go behind those basic stuff. Ie how to has a rattan body or coil spring coil spring power.

If you go back to retread my posts including yik kam transform, you will see how the big picture and details are presented in a systematical way, but most of us needs many revision to get it. To answer, what, why, how, when, and who are the focus instead of who is better or real Wck or oldest Wck which is not my focus at all.

But some of us will not like it because we would not want the know how far we have evolve away without our own idea.

History is not everyone's interest but proper history does clearlify the art of Wck. Some don't like to face history because they cannot face the facts of the past .

Quote Originally Posted by BPWT View Post
    To be fair to Hendrik, his recent posts have had a bit more clarity. For me, with that clarity I realize that much of what he talks about in his Wing Chun, is actually also in my Wing Tsun (and probably a lot of what he is talking about is present in most people's WT/WC/VT too).

Hendrik uses his own terminology to describe things, and sometimes that makes things sound fairly complicated. In truth, when he boils things down to more concise videos and simpler posts, much of his material, IMO, is present in others training too. I think he would be the first to admit that it's not rocket science, and often not exclusive to his version of Wing Chun.

He often uses analogies to try and make things clearer - which is good, but it is easy for some to take the analogy too literally. E.g. springs, coiled springs, rattan canes etc. these are just words/expressions to help build an image in the mind of what is happening. Our bodies are not really springs, not really canes, etc. You just need to take the idea behind them and apply it how we move, react, etc.

For some, Hendrik's view of WCK history is wrong - and there's nothing wrong with debating a point... but it feels to me that some people (JP in Arizona) deliberately post on Hendrik's threads with the single intent of insulting the guy. Which is weird. Ignore his threads and posts if you don't want to really engage (not a direct reference to you, tc101).
    Last edited by Hendrik; 07-08-2013 at 06:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by guy b. View Post
    Jerry is really good. Philip is decent as well. This clip is hated by the mma contingent because the contact is not hard enough. Never satisfied.
    guyb is selling wolf tickets.

The guys are sparring. That's better than most of the mouthboxers on this forum.

What else did I notice? MMA is coming to China. A Xing Yi guy with traditional kung fu pants and a Jaco rashguard.

Quote Originally Posted by Hendrik View Post

What is Wck?
    Hendrik are you lost? This is a thread about sparring. It doesn't interest you.

There are something which is more involve when we go behind those basic stuff. Ie how to has a rattan body or coil spring coil spring power.
    So since you're commenting on a sparring thread my observation is all the rattan body or coil spring power is a nice meditation exercise.

Breath in - "aaahhhhh, I can feel the rattan flowing through my body". Breath out - "the coil spring power is indeed powerful".

Or if it does have a fighting application, then where can we observe this phenomenon?

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Just friendly sparring, nothing too good OR too bad about it per say.
    I have always liked when guys from different systems get together and spar ( even when it is light sparring).
    Its a good learning process for all involved.
    Gee I get the picture this guy has actually sparred before.

He better watch out before he becomes one of the "mma contingent"....

Please don't drag me into this, I haven't even posted on this thread. Some might say it's 'weird' for one grown man to feel he has to defend another grown man that isn't even under attack - as you are with Hendrik. It's clear I don't agree with Henrik's views, or his relentless delivery (as a LOT of people clearly are) but I don't post with the intent to insult anybody. And, I could argue that this is exactly what you are doing in the above post towards me by calling my actions intentionally insulting and weird (if I actually cared).

My advice would be speak for yourself, as we all should. Hendrik is a grown man and doesn't need your defense. He's not under attack and can obviously speak for himself. And I don't need you to speak for me and my intentions for posting as you have or dragging my name into subjects when I'm not even involved in the discussion.
    Last edited by JPinAZ; 07-08-2013 at 07:44 AM.
    What chi sau is, or isn't, or is, or wait, what is it..: http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/foru...2&postcount=90

Yes yes yes of course it is controlling or dominating the centerline is wing chun core strategy. Hedrik acts like no one gets this and he is revealing some long lost secret.

He makes things sound more complicated because he is making things more complicated. The wing chun I learned is very simple and that is what attracted me to it. He is taking the simple and trying to make it very very complicated.

I think he is trying to present an image of how he thinks in his mind things should work in his complicated way but that is not how they actually do.

I think when people resort to so called history to support their vision of how wing chun should work that is already a sign that they cannot really make it work themselves. If Hendrik could make his stuff work he would be posting videos of himself making his stuff work since he seems to enjoy posting videos of himself.

What is Wck?
    How many times have I told you wing chun is not something to define. You do not define what is boxing but you can recognize it easily and it is the same with wing chun. You are making what is called a category mistake.

But you have not done that , instead keep on critic this is no good that cannot be define. Please share now.
    I have already explained how I look at sparring to determine the quality of the sparring. Go back and read my post. This is what I learned how to do from working with various boxing trainers seeing how they look for things what they look for and so forth.

Fighting or sparring takes place on several levels including strategic, tactical and technical. The first thing I do is look at technical details since if you do not have good technique you cannot perform good tactics or perform your stragegy very well. Controlling the center is a strategy how you go about doing that involves tactics and those involve technique. Slapping your opponent is not good wing chun technique for example.

Didn't Wsl the sifu of Jerry fight boxer with Wck?
    Also please don't tell me Jerry doesn't know what he is doing.
    WSL trained first as a boxer right?

I am not saying Jerry does not know what he is doing I am saying he is not sparring very well since he has poor form or technique, is making all kinds of fundamental mistakes like dropping his hand after striking, and is not really setting anything up. You may not appreciate these things since you probably would do the same as you have not learned to look for them. If he worked with a good fight trainer these things would be addressed.

----------

Sifu Jerry Yeung is the founder and head coach of “Pure Ving Tsun (PVT)”. He first
    met the Master of Ving Tsun, Wong Shun Leung Sifu in 1989, who
    afterwards became Jerry’s coach and enlightened him on Ving Tsun and
    inspired his passion for the traditional Chinese Martial Arts.
    Like his teacher,

Jerry honed his Ving Tsun skills by competing in numerous contact competitions. He's the 3 Times Sanda Champion

and the co-host of Kung Fu Quest II TV programme produced by RTHK.

---------
    Sounds great on paper but does not look so good in sparring.

I have already explained how I look at sparring to determine the quality of the sparring.

Go back and read my post.

This is what I learned how to do from working with various boxing trainers seeing how they look for things what they look for and so forth.

Please show me the link of the posts you refer to.

So, what is the good or bad in boxing or sparring ? What to look?
    http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/...26&postcount=7

From looking at them I can tell that they never worked with a trainer that developed their sparring progressively since that works out those things I refer to.
    I don't think very many WCK sifus fit the description of "a trainer that developed their sparring progressively".

In fact, in most WCK families I've seen, that is typically left up to the students to figure out on their own. This means at the very least its going to take them longer, and its possible and common to avoid that development altogether.

You are using a boxer general rule to judge other art.

Is Slapping bad Wck technics? Is droping hands bad taekwondo? Not necessary. Do you know why it is not nessesary?

In that particular clip, why is Slapping is used? The is reason. And good one. In fact for generations wcners using slapping big time in friendly match.

Last edited by Hendrik; 07-08-2013 at 09:26 AM.