Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wing chun to Sparring

Wing chun to Sparring

What element of your Wing Chun training has really helped your sparring training. I know all forms and drills are all part of one package BUT what indervidual drills have helped?

I have founds wall bag, pole and Laap sau drill very useful for sparring.

Knowing where to move and why is key to counter and attack without making yourself static and vulnerable. VT approaches combat as a % game to raise the odds in ones favor. Evasion to specific angles minimize your own targets to the attacker and maximize your own. The typical lead leg stance is a bad start, we adopt side facing stances to allow any counter angles on entry and lateral movement for both attacking and setting up counters. Most vt students get a basic charging eggbeater punch attack that will fail on many levels.

Quote Originally Posted by k gledhill View Post
    Knowing where to move and why is key to counter and attack without making yourself static and vulnerable. VT approaches combat as a % game to raise the odds in ones favor. Evasion to specific angles minimize your own targets to the attacker and maximize your own. The typical lead leg stance is a bad start, we adopt side facing stances to allow any counter angles on entry and lateral movement for both attacking and setting up counters. Most vt students get a basic charging eggbeater punch attack that will fail on many levels.

Good info. I get what your saying. 99% of WC just except there sloppy chain punches to destroy evrrything PLUS blindly go forward instead of finding the best position. I think wing chun is a crafty little system. A thinking persons art.

Quote Originally Posted by chaotic2k View Post
    Good info. I get what your saying. 99% of WC just except there sloppy chain punches to destroy evrrything PLUS blindly go forward instead of finding the best position. I think wing chun is a crafty little system. A thinking persons art.
    Good thing your not part of those 99% then.

news flash 100% statistic is made up on the fly by noobs

I agree with the side stance rather than front stance. I first noticed this done by Wlliam Cheung but then later the WSL guys do it as well.

Most people seem to go to forward stance automatically which really limits your mobility.

Paul
    www.moifa.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by jesper View Post
    Good thing your not part of those 99% then.

news flash 100% statistic is made up on the fly by noobs
    So your 100% must be a controdiction?!?!

A well trained structure doesn't use a "side stance". It should be as natural as walking. You don't even see decent ufc fighters going in with a side stance when punching. It's not natural and slower when switching sides. A balanced structure means everything with generating power. The reason you see some of these WC "sparring" videos look so lame is because they're "twisting out". You have to be perfectly straight to the center for example to have the left foot forward and attack with either arm. Otherwise it should be left foot forward, right arm attack, right foot forward, left arm attack. Any WC guy who does otherwise is missing the point with regards to center facing and recovery...

I don't think you understand what they are meaning by the term 'side stance'.
    What chi sau is, or isn't, or is, or wait, what is it..: http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/foru...2&postcount=90

Quote Originally Posted by JPinAZ View Post
    I don't think you understand what they are meaning by the term 'side stance'.
    I don't really care what they mean, I've seen enough PB, ving tsun, related "sparring" videos, including that slap boxing one to know they "twist out" constantly...

Quote Originally Posted by WC1277 View Post
    I don't really care what they mean, I've seen enough PB, ving tsun, related "sparring" videos, including that slap boxing one to know they "twist out" constantly...
    Haha, since you don't care to understand they mean, your opinion doesn't really mean much huh? Except maybe to serve as a lead-in to take shots at another lineage

FWIW, I only asked because your last post was pretty opinionated about what is 'right' and 'wrong' in regards to stance, and more specifically, a 'side stance', how you feel it's unbalanced, etc. So, one would hope you had an understanding how others define it before you started saying people are doing things wrong.

Maybe you could share what your definition of a "side stance" is first to see if everyone's on the same page or not. Because what you explained above didn't sound like you were talking about the same thing as I undersand most others use the term.
    Last edited by JPinAZ; 07-09-2013 at 12:44 PM.
    What chi sau is, or isn't, or is, or wait, what is it..: http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/foru...2&postcount=90

Blog Entries
    Could someone define what is:

- front stance?
    - side stance?
    - side facing stance?

Do you use YGKYM in fighting?
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

As a very very general statement on stance, a one leg in front stance is more exposed to takedowns. The deeper the stance, the more exposed. The shallower stances (JP our leung yi ma) are better naturally protected from takedowns.

Blog Entries
    There is no "perfect" fighting stance. If you have

- both legs parallel, your opponent can attack "double legs" (get both if you can).
    - one leg forward, your opponent can attack that "single leg" (if you can't get both, get 1 after another).
    - forward leaning legs back parallel stace, your opponent can drag your head down to the ground (if you want to lean forward, your opponent can help you to lean forward more than you want to).

It's not how you stance but whether you can "seal your leak". If you know how to "respond from your stance", you can stand in anyway that you want to.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 07-09-2013 at 12:56 PM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

A side stance in any type of fighting is where either a lead leg or a "body rotation position" is forward and on the same side as an attack is launced. The only exception to this rule is a step slide with true center facing, which is rare. Like I stated earlier with my disdain for side stances, it is far better to step through or step back and balance the structure. The WSL crowd and others continually get "twisted out" because of not following this simple concept.
    Last edited by WC1277; 07-09-2013 at 12:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayfaring View Post
    As a very very general statement on stance, a one leg in front stance is more exposed to takedowns. The deeper the stance, the more exposed. The shallower stances (JP our leung yi ma) are better naturally protected from takedowns.
    I totally agree on the deep stance vs 'narrow' stances in regards to thier exposures to takedowns, leg kicks, etc. And I understand what you mean by being similar to our LYM in a general sense. But more specifically, LYM is a footwork more-so than a stance
    Either way, I know what you're getting at, as the ending position is similar to a general 'side stance' or side neutral stance as some also call it.
    Last edited by JPinAZ; 07-09-2013 at 12:59 PM.