Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: UFC and Bellator veteran Maiquel Falcao street fight

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    A well written letter.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

It was all Falcao's fault. I wonder what kind of person would ignore someone treating his wife or girlfriend like that. I know that the outcome was not worth it and it's easy to criticize them but in that situation many rational people would go nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayfaring View Post
    Falcoa and Mena just released from their MMA team. The following is a letter from the coach of Renovacao Fight Team[RFT].
    Well...As much as the letter is needed, I wonder if He/they could have done something to avoid all this.
    I know that many kids ( and anyone in the late teens and early 20's is still just that) need a mentor far more than just a coach and teaching fighting without the discipline NOT to fight can and has and DOES get many kids into lots of trouble.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Well...As much as the letter is needed, I wonder if He/they could have done something to avoid all this.
    I know that many kids ( and anyone in the late teens and early 20's is still just that) need a mentor far more than just a coach and teaching fighting without the discipline NOT to fight can and has and DOES get many kids into lots of trouble.
    The alternative is having them do the horse stance and do the taichi set for a few years before teaching them fighting though you people are against this method.

Quote Originally Posted by xinyidizi View Post
    The alternative is having them do the horse stance and do the taichi set for a few years before teaching them fighting though you people are against this method.
    You people?

My oh my, did someone just put on the "intolerant larper" uniform?

Hey let's oversimplify a complex social issue with TMA analogies. That always goes well!

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    Hey let's oversimplify a complex social issue with TMA analogies. That always goes well!
    Because all those TMA fighters and masters were such beacons of perfection, LMAO !

3 years in a horse stance gets rid of demons. True story!

Athletes have always been aggressive. The hype, the money, the mindstate. It all factors in. Take some talented kid with a fucked up head and booom, instant asshole.

The whole "training creates better people with better attitudes" is a fairly recent incentive offered as a MA benefit. When I lived and trained in Taiwan, I saw that many people considered TCMA (except for Taiji) as associated with low socioeconomic status, gangsterism, etc. Which was true in some cases, though not all. By far, TKD was far more popular and desirable to train in...as well as JMA.

IMO, people become better human beings through training if:

They really want to be good people;

They have a positive influence from their teachers/seniors/family/environment, etc.

It takes a certain level of maturity. And for some, even a long lifetime of training that produces great martial ability doesn't always result in a more evolved person. Of course, we should hope that as MAists, we will be of a mind to take personal responsibility for our actions, and strive to do the right thing.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 07-11-2013 at 11:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    The whole "training creates better people with better attitudes" is a fairly recent incentive offered as a MA benefit. When I lived and trained in Taiwan, I saw that many people considered TCMA (except for Taiji) as associated with low socioeconomic status, gangsterism, etc. Which was true in some cases, though not all. By far, TKD was far more popular and desirable to train in...as well as JMA.

IMO, people become better human beings through training if:

They really want to be good people;

They have a positive influence from their teachers/seniors/family/environment, etc.

It takes a certain level of maturity. And for some, even a long lifetime of training that produces great martial ability doesn't always result in a more evolved person. Of course, we should hope that as MAists, we will be of a mind to take personal responsibility for our actions, and strive to do the right thing.
    The whole "Karate kid" thing showed that it isn't the system, its the teacher.
    As full of clichees as it was, I know that I'd love to have a "Miyagi" for a teacher.
    The humble but ass-kicking teacher is, IMO, the ideal role model in the MA.

I don't think a benevolent teacher can do much more than cultivate something that is already there. I'm sure the best teachers in the world can recount some pretty disappointing students as far as attitude and intelligence is concerned. People do what they want in the end. Some know what's good for them, some don't.

I think it's more that people gravitate to what they desire. Unless you get ahold of them as babies and the parents play ball, you get what you get. Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't. On average, anyways.