Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Foods for heart health

Foods for heart health

Nuts and raw veggies foods are more effective for the heart health because these foods control the cholesterol level, burn the extra fat and prevent from the heart stroke.
    The more beneficial foods for the heart health are apple, grapefruit, orange, berries, carrot, broccoli, cabbage, almond, honey, fish, fish oil, green tea, and coffee.
    Last edited by Pierce; 07-13-2013 at 02:00 AM.

Taking responsibility for your health

Supporting your local farmers

Starving the corporations threatening the world

Not supporting the war machine

Not eating Frankenstein laboratory creations (GMO)

Not eating rat poo, fingernail clippings, ****roach legs and etc (factories)

Resisting mind control (making your own decisions)

These are some of my reasons to eat natural whole foods.

In direct response to the OP: I agree with your post, but find it very conventionally modern to think of certain foods benefitting certain organs of the body. Perhaps a more holistic approach is healthier? I say this because at times I feel that the information overload is, in itself, detrimental to health (by adding to stress).

The Corporations are EVERYWHERE!

BWAHAHAHAHA

Mighty B, that post will now be in your permanent dossier. Whole Foods is watching...

Quote Originally Posted by Pierce View Post
    The more beneficial foods for the heart health are apple, grapefruit, orange, berries, carrot, broccoli, cabbage, almond, honey, fish, fish oil, green tea, and coffee.
    I'd like to add some of my favorites to this list. Avocado, spinach, kale, asparagus, chia seed, hemp seed, sunflower seed, pecans and walnuts. For the berries, I grow huckleberries, blue berries, goji berries and mulberries so I'm kind of partial to those.

I'd recommend staying away from store bought apples because they top the list for pesticide contamination. Try to stick to local organic farms if possible.

Quote Originally Posted by madhusudan View Post

In direct response to the OP: I agree with your post, but find it very conventionally modern to think of certain foods benefitting certain organs of the body. Perhaps a more holistic approach is healthier? I say this because at times I feel that the information overload is, in itself, detrimental to health (by adding to stress).

You sound like one of them damn hippies! Hahahahaha! Just kidding! I agree with everything you said.

Quote Originally Posted by madhusudan View Post

Don't forget a water purifier/filter there are nasty chemicals in tap water.

Chris Kresser did a great series of articles on heart disease, talking about:
    1. High cholesterol is not the primary cause of heart disease.
    2. Diets high in saturated fat and cholesterol don’t cause heart disease.
    3. Consumption of so-called “heart healthy” vegetable oils is linked to heart disease, cancer and many other conditions.
    4. Statin drugs don’t reduce the risk of death for most people, and have dangerous side effects and complications

I think point #2 is especially important. Saturated fat does not correlate with heart disease. The old belief that fatty foods correlate with heart disease has never been true; it's just bad science.

I'd also read through Dr. Chris Masterjohn's blog. Dr. Masterjohn is a biochemist who specializes in lipid research.
    Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    like that old japanese zen monk that grabs white woman student titties to awaken them to zen, i grab titties of kung fu people to awaken them to truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal Canzonieri View Post
    You can discuss discrepancies and so on in people's posts without ripping them apart. So easy to do sitting behind a computer screen anonymously, but in person I'm sure you'd be very different, unless you're a total misanthrope without any friends.

Foods for heart health

Quote Originally Posted by Pierce View Post
    Nuts and raw veggies foods are more effective for the heart health because these foods control the cholesterol level, burn the extra fat and prevent from the heart stroke.
    Pierce , while everyone on this topic thread has their own individual food for the heart ideas , to me eating alot of oatmeals everyday and excercises like jogging or walking is good too . But check with your doctor too . I take lipitor to bring down my choleterol too . But limit yourself on eating meat , but eat more veggies , fish is even better than meat . I walk in my subdivision 6 -
    days a week for a 30 minutes , the last time I checked on my own cholesterol it went down , so my docotor was happy . I ' m not really sure if this regimine will work for anyone or not ? But eating less meat , but moderate amounts of fish , and eating more veggies and oatmeals , excercise , it worked for me . But I ' m not sure for you people though , because everyone is different right ?

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Kymus View Post
    3. Consumption of so-called “heart healthy” vegetable oils is linked to heart disease, cancer and many other conditions.
    4. Statin drugs don’t reduce the risk of death for most people, and have dangerous side effects and complications

I think point #2 is especially important. Saturated fat does not correlate with heart disease. The old belief that fatty foods correlate with heart disease has never been true; it's just bad science.

I'd also read through Dr. Chris Masterjohn's blog. Dr. Masterjohn is a biochemist who specializes in lipid research.
    I agree 100% with kymus and respectfully disagree with the hippie Whole Foods crowd that tries to tell me eating kale and almonds is as nutritious as eating a pile of bacon.

I'll add bacon to the list as it provides your body with the energy and protein needed to heal. All the stuff you guys listed gets crapped out with little of it actually getting absorbed by the body due to the cell walls of plants. We can't break down raw veggies as well as a cow.
    Gorillas have to eat about 100 pounds of vegetables a day to get enough nutrition. Since they are close to us on the evolutionary scale they make for a good comparison. Lets compare the gorilla to the female who eats a small salad for lunch and doesn't even finish the whole thing. She isn't getting nearly enough of what she needs which might explain why some women are so b!tchy. They're hungry!

Quote Originally Posted by SavvySavage View Post
    I agree 100% with kymus
    Dude, I'm glad you quoted me because I didn't even realize my comment went through (for some reason, I thought it got eaten ). I wasn't finished with my comment; I'll have to make a follow-up later.

and respectfully disagree with the hippie Whole Foods crowd that tries to tell me eating kale and almonds is as nutritious as eating a pile of bacon.
    To be fair, it's not just the "Whole Foods crowd" (I shop there too ). Most Americans these days have a strange idea of nutrition where:

• Animal products = protein
    • Plants = all your vitamins and minerals
    • Grains = carbs

This is so wrong it hurts my brain and I'm not sure how we come to this conclusion.

Animal products have of course been feathered and tarred either due to industrial processing (preservatives, poor living conditions, sh!t for food (sometimes literally)) or due to the cholesterol and fat scares. This has scared people in to consuming more boneless, skinless, chicken breast than the more nutritious fatty beef. *facepalm*

Meat (well, grass-fed meat) is really quite nutritious; much more than people would expect. It takes ~5lbs of fruit to get the same nutrition from 1/4lb of liver.

Here's another interesting analysis that will surprise people:

It's important to note that this isn't a full comparison of every single nutrient found in these foods. I advocate having all of them in your diet, personally. I just want to try to illustrate for people how animal products are very nutritious.

I'll add bacon to the list as it provides your body with the energy and protein needed to heal. All the stuff you guys listed gets crapped out with little of it actually getting absorbed by the body due to the cell walls of plants. We can't break down raw veggies as well as a cow.
    I agree that we can't process raw plants as well as an herbivorous animal, but it is good to have a mixture of raw and cooked foods in the diet since this supplies necessary enzymes. Of course, I think that an all-raw diet is not a good idea and can weaken the digestion (I think TCM talks about this too).

Two really good books that talk about enzymes are Dr. Howell's book Enzyme Nutrition and Dr. Pottenger's book Pottenger's Cats (pretty sure the book was written by Pottenger's son).
    Last edited by Kymus; 07-17-2013 at 06:56 AM.
    like that old japanese zen monk that grabs white woman student titties to awaken them to zen, i grab titties of kung fu people to awaken them to truth.
    You can discuss discrepancies and so on in people's posts without ripping them apart. So easy to do sitting behind a computer screen anonymously, but in person I'm sure you'd be very different, unless you're a total misanthrope without any friends.

Thumbs down Public Service Announcement

While we're talking about Whole Foods.... I just thought I'd give everyone a PSA and say: do not listen to Whole Foods' dietary advice. It's horrible. I wrote a long article about it here.

Here's the short version: John Mackey, the CEO, is real buddy buddy with Rip Esselstyn. Esselstyn's dad is a big famous doctor that's a member of the Physician's Committee for Responsible Medicine. They're vegan doctors who promote healthy eating (which is great) but they also have a moral agenda in what they preach and continually promote unscientific FUD (rather dishonestly).

Whole Foods is a good company (I've worked there), but their idea of good nutrition stinks and it is not very scientific.

Quote Originally Posted by Kymus View Post

I don't necessarily agree with the notion that meat is inherently unhealthy but those articles are fad diet ponzi scheme promoting garbage.

Quote Originally Posted by wenshu View Post
    I don't necessarily agree with the notion that meat is inherently unhealthy but those articles are fad diet ponzi scheme promoting garbage.
    How?? Kresser's articles are rooted in science.

Take a look at Dr. Chris Masterjohn's site or Dr. Uffe Ravnskov's site. You'll see the same information in regards to heart health (edit: both individuals have a great deal of experience on this topic).

If your remark on "fad diet" is Kresser's promotion of the Paelo diet, I disagree. Kresser's take on paleo is pretty flexible, and again, is rooted in science. I have no idea where you get the "ponzi scheme" from.
    Last edited by Kymus; 07-17-2013 at 08:32 AM. Reason: grammar

He has a clear agenda; to sell you more shit and is just as, if not more dependent on misinterpretation of incomplete information and confirmation bias as the institutional practices his business model requires him to constantly debunk.