Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
Sports where plyo's tend to be PART of the sport ( or art form) tend to do them based on the individuals personal ability (progressive loading) and also age/experience ( ballet, gymnastics, etc).
Basketball players are great leapers and most have been doing since they were kids and by the time that reach adulthood their muscles have been though years of "progressive loading" due to body weight increases and/or increase in frequency.

Personally I think that when introducing plyo's to adults we have to be far more careful than when doing that to kids because, well, kids tend to be "plyo'ing" all over the place already, LOL.
That was not my point however, I am saying it isn't necessary to be able to squat 1.5 x body weight in order to do plyos.

Depth jumps probably its a good idea, box jumps not at all. Frog leaps, not at all.

Any beginner at anything needs to start slow at any activity, so that point is neither here nor there.

My point is, 1.5 x body weight is ridiculous, unless perhaps you weight over 200# and are doing depth jumps or hurdle jumps or something like that.