Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: tendons, not muscle...

Quote Originally Posted by -N- View Post
    Muscle strength and plyometrics are one aspect of explosive power.

What methods and mechanisms of your functional training capitalize specifically on elasticity of human biomechanics as a system?

Learning proper body alignment and balance is a pre requisite because the issuance of the force needs a proper foundation and bio-mechanic.

hyperextend in small increments of increase
    learn to focus strength at moment of impact, from an increasing state of relaxation before and after.
    move with a change in direction that goes into hyper extension.
    link several together and repeat until you die.

When you start training, your joints begin to ache. You stop and rest. Eventually it stops and you find new things. If you stop training for a long time, your joints will begin to ache again a bit.

Its obviously something that needs a trainer.

Now, to the best of my understanding, SPM gets there using a lot of dynamic tension, and quick releases. Its very significant to me that the end result of different styles of training achieve a very similar result.

I've never seen any other arts do it to the same degree of integrated efficiency and control.

Its a core technique, you can put it on a boxers jab, a kick, backlist - lots of things. Doesn't just have to sit on a TCMA technique is the beauty of it.

A bit like a turbo charger, it fits on most thing, and the ones it blows up just need reinforcement in the weak spots. And maybe a bit of engineering.
    Guangzhou Pak Mei Kung Fu School, Sydney Australia,
    Sifu Leung, Yuk Seng
    Established 1989, Glebe Australia

Don't know how relevant this is, but I was told once that "Tiger Style" had nothing to do with claws and stuff like that (Shaolin), but with the way the tiger attacked, and the fact that when they cut the tigers up, there was no muscle, just masses of tendon.

Thus, tiger style is 'Tendon' style.....
    Sifu Leung, Yuk Seng

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    kung fu emphasizes tendon strength because muscle grows faster than tendon and will rip the tendon. ancient china has no tendon surgery, once you rip it you are a useless cripple for life.
    I've met two Chinese who claim their ripped knee tendons were repaired by acupuncture.
    One TCMA, one soccer player. The best description I've heard is that joining tendons is like sewing together two ends of a mop. Tendons grow slowly.

The systemic acupuncture technique allegedly stimulates the growth of the tendons significantly. Sounded a bit far fetched to me, and not knowing the full dimensions of their injuries its hard to say, but both swore by it. Chinese from Mainland China, elite sportsmen with access to resources. FWIW.
    Sifu Leung, Yuk Seng

Greetings,

-N-

Do you realize that if you started this thread with kung fu, fa jing, chi kung, etc, and without changing the content, this thread would have quickly found its way to page 2?

mickey

Quote Originally Posted by Yum Cha View Post
    Don't know how relevant this is, but I was told once that "Tiger Style" had nothing to do with claws and stuff like that (Shaolin), but with the way the tiger attacked, and the fact that when they cut the tigers up, there was no muscle, just masses of tendon.

Interesting... Anyone know if this is true?

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    Its nonsense. 1) They didn't distinguish between tendon, ligament, muscle. 2) Tigers have the most muscle mass of any cat. 3) If cats had no muscle, house cats wouldn't be used across the nation to introduce high school and undergrads to muscular anatomy.

Its the kind of crap people repeat without actually thinking about what they're saying. And should really be very obvious. Another prime example, Rhino horn. Its proven to have absolutely zero medicinal value. But people are replacing rhino horn in their concoctions without actually knowing what they're doing (and that's most all of them, even the "legit" herbologists), with antler and horn from other animals. Rhino horn is not comprised of bone. It's keratin. Chew on your finger nails and you'll get the same benefit, which is to say none at all. Makes you wonder. People replacing completely useless ingredients with stuff they don't even know is not the same thing... Makes you question the validity of a great deal of stuff in TCM when the people that are supposedly experts don't even know what their materials are.
    Last edited by SoCo KungFu; 07-14-2013 at 05:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    not true. tiger style is named tiger style because tigers are fukin terrifying

I've met two Chinese who claim their ripped knee tendons were repaired by acupuncture.
    One TCMA, one soccer player. The best description I've heard is that joining tendons is like sewing together two ends of a mop. Tendons grow slowly.

The systemic acupuncture technique allegedly stimulates the growth of the tendons significantly. Sounded a bit far fetched to me, and not knowing the full dimensions of their injuries its hard to say, but both swore by it. Chinese from Mainland China, elite sportsmen with access to resources. FWIW.
    chinese Olympics lifters do use acupuncture as a restoration activity, but not for full blown tears from the bone
    Last edited by bawang; 07-14-2013 at 07:33 PM.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by SoCo KungFu View Post
    Its nonsense. 1) They didn't distinguish between tendon, ligament, muscle. 2) Tigers have the most muscle mass of any cat. 3) If cats had no muscle, house cats wouldn't be used across the nation to introduce high school and undergrads to muscular anatomy.
    http://www.1st-art-gallery.com/thumb...ommon-Fowl.jpg

(gruesome) http://photos.merinews.com/upload/im...2363244030.jpg

Chinese medicine has bone, soft bone and muscle, anything white is bone or soft bone.
    These weren't scientists, but superstitious peasants. Cats use leverage to jump, and compared to the way say, and Ox or a Bear jumps? Lots more of them good steaks to be had off an ox, bear or well, practically anything but a cat....

Tiger Bone is the 'magical' element, not a wee gristly tiger steak....

Like I said, made a bit of sense to me, but like so many chinese fables and sayings, the value is not in the fact, but in the fiction.
    Sifu Leung, Yuk Seng

Quote Originally Posted by mickey View Post
    Do you realize that if you started this thread with kung fu, fa jing, chi kung, etc, and without changing the content, this thread would have quickly found its way to page 2?
    Just giving people a chance to discuss from a scientific point of view rather than get lost in vague mystical confusion.

Muscle strength and plyometrics are one aspect of explosive power.

What methods and mechanisms of your functional training capitalize specifically on elasticity of human biomechanics as a system?
    This seems like it would work: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7YDkZrJ-V0

are the key to elastic energy storage which evolved allowing humans to kill effectively from a distance.

Read these and see if you didn't already know this as principles from TCMA.

http://cashp.gwu.edu/ntroach/the-evolution-of-throwing/

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal...67.html#access

http://www.geeksaresexy.net/2013/07/...n-of-throwing/

The principles of elastic energy storage and release apply to any most movements.

What you CANNOT do is to train only a muscle, tendon, or ligament separately. Each of these is inexorably linked to the other in that the muscle produces the force that transfers energy to the tendon attaching it to the bone which transfers energy to the ligament that connects the bones.

"[...] rapid, sequential activation of many muscles, starting in the legs and progressing through the hips, torso, shoulder, elbow and wrist. Torques generated at each joint accelerate segmental masses, creating rapid angular movements that accumulate kinetic energy [...]"

"[...] the tall, mobile waists of humans decouple the hips and thorax, permitting more torso rotation, in turn enabling high torque production over a large range of motion (ROM) [...]"

A lot of TCMA training focuses on optimizing the above two elements.

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    blah, blah, blah...where are the bikini *****es?
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"